• The accumulation of large, fluffy on the edges of the clouds, creeps over the horizon, indicates near a shower or thunderstorm.
• The approach of heavy rain or storm in the next 36 hours shows a pale, ghostly halo around the moon or bronze sheen in the sky during sunset or sunrise.
• About the rapid increase in wind and possible rain warns kind of racing is high in the sky blurry bits of Cirrus clouds and yellow sunset.
• Red or clear, but with a reddish tint of the sky at dawn, the increase in humidity is also often warn about the imminent deterioration of weather.
Definition of weather barometer
• If the needle of the barometer moves towards smaller values of the scale, that is, «falls», — this means the weather change for the worse.
• In the proximity of the storm indicates rushing arrow barometer and a sharp drop in his testimony.
Noticing the approaching storm, you must decide what to do by selecting one of four options.
Option 1: keep the old course.
1. For this purpose it is necessary to reduce the engine speed or partially remove the sails;
2. don’t forget that this decision will be correct only if the wind is blowing in the direction you want. If not, you should choose some other option.
Option 2: go to port.
You can do this if:
• suits you a wind direction;
• weather deterioration occurs slowly enough and you will have time to reach the port or other sheltered from the wind shelter. Note that stormy sea reduces the speed of the vessel.
Option 3: to lie.
If you do not have other choice, get ready for what you may need to keep the boat sailing against the wind at the same speed with which it blows, you have to go cool on a reach.
To do this:
1. Turn the jib to the wind, to counterbalance the forward movement created by the grotto.
2. Lower surface of the grotto so that the jib was completely open to the wind. When a very strong wind remove the grotto at all.
3. As a result of these actions the ship, describing an arc, should turn up his nose almost against the wind. To hold it in this position permanently fix the steering lever manually or with the aid of the sheet and the stopper.
Option IV: move ahead of the storm.
This option is possible, if you are in the open sea, the land is far away and there is no danger of hitting the rock, following the wind.
• Sailing on the wind, enough to leave one jib.
• Or to put the sails, although this requires exceptional skill.
• Don’t let go of the wheel, holding the bow in the wind.
• In order to reduce the force of waves, it is necessary to sweet astern some ropes and drag them through the water so that their free ends behind the ship about on the wavelength. These ropes will break waves, weakening them, and reduce the speed of the vessel, increasing flexibility and helping to keep it in the wind.
1. When approaching storm properly secure all gear on deck.
2. Wear a life jacket, if you have not done it in advance, and tie a long rope to the mast or to something else.
3. Check the reliability of lierow — the ropes that bound rescue equipment.
4. Deflate out of the hold all the water and make sure that the holes for water drainage in Kubrick cleaned.
5. Sadria hatches, portholes, trying to maximally block the access of water into the interior of the vessel.
6. Start the engine, if it is, to be sure it is functioning correctly, then stop it again: not worth wasting fuel, which you may need later.
1. If you were caught in a storm on a motorized vessel, take a course for the nearest shelter.
2. To water as little as possible flooded the deck, try to swim towards the waves, reducing the speed to the minimum limit at which it full control of the ship.
3. Arrange passengers so that they were sitting as low as possible. Thus you will be able to increase the stability of the ship.
4. Maneuvering the vessel, avoid strong pitching side: large waves can easily drown or to flip it.
5. If you refuse the engine, step on the anchor or throw a floating anchor. Floating anchor is designed to hold the vessel against the wind, so it usually throw in the bow. If your ship has no floating anchor, it can be done in haste from scrap materials, such as wooden pattern boards or old tires, weighted chain. The main thing is that he has provided as much as possible the resistance of the waves.