Potatoes on the fire has become a traditional delicacy of any campaign or picnic. The combination of simple cooking and aromatic taste make it the best option for a snack in nature. Moreover, this simple dish has different variations, so you can choose a recipe to your liking.
- How to bake potatoes on the fire
- 1.1 Potatoes Recipe for Skewers
- 1.2Potato Foil
- 1.3 Baked potatoes with bacon
- 1.4Potato baked in foil with butter and cheese
- 1.5How to cook marinated potatoes
- 2 Useful Tips
How to bake potatoes on the fire
Of course, you can cook potatoes in a cauldron on the fire, but not everyone will want to take with them a massive and heavy dish. But there are other options.
First of all, cooking on a fire requires the presence of good young tubers. The smaller their size, the faster the process will be.
Before you begin the process, they should be thoroughly washed, then there will be no need to remove them from the skin.
The fire should be such that it has enough coal, because it is in them that the vegetable will be stacked. At the same time it should be covered with coal completely. To do this, it is convenient to make a recess with the help of a stick, and then put the tubers there. Baking time about 25-30 minutes. Ready potatoes are a little cool, smash and sprinkle with salt.
Potato recipe on skewers
Skewers are not always used only for meat kebabs. With their help, you can make delicious baked potatoes.
- The tubers are washed and wiped thoroughly so that they do not leave moisture;
- Cut the vegetable into slices with a width of 1 to 2 cm;
- String them on skewers so that the distance between them is about half a cm;
- It remains only to pour the vegetables with a small amount of vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt;
- In order to bake potatoes, it will take 15-20 minutes. In the process you must not forget to turn the skewers.
Ketchup or favorite sauce – the best addition to the vegetable kebab. If desired, between potato slices, you can string lemon circles, bay leaves, or come up with something of your own.
Potatoes in Foil
When going on a hike, many people forget to take food foil with them, but for good reason. It will allow you to make evenly baked flavored potatoes, while not smearing it in soot and save cooking time.
- The foil is divided into pieces, the size of which should allow you to completely wrap the tuber;
- If there is sunflower oil or butter on hand, as well as spices, you can immediately put them on the foil before putting the fruit into it. Dry garlic fits well here, giving a special spice to the dish;
- Thoroughly washed and dried potatoes are individually wrapped in foil so that the shiny side is outside;
- Each tuber is pierced in several places;
- Potatoes in foil are not put into the fire, it is necessary to wait until the flame has already extinguished, and the coals are still very hot. Put it in the lowest layer and sprinkled with a stick or other improvised material;
- Cooking time varies from 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of the vegetables. Finished potatoes should have a baked crust and a soft middle.
Fresh green onions will complement the dish with a touch of freshness.
Baked potatoes with bacon
This recipe will also need foil. Potatoes on the fire, flavored with lard, are more fatty and nourishing.
- The washed potatoes are cut into circles, with a thickness of 0.5 to 1 cm. If the vegetable is not young, then it is better to remove the skin;
- Lard chop similarly. You can use both pork and fat-tailed;
- Salt and spices are added to taste and depending on the type of fat used;
- The pieces are placed on a skewer alternating with each other. After that, all wrapped in foil;
- Roast such an unusual kebab from 30 to 50 minutes, periodically turning it over;
- 5 minutes before the end of the process, the foil is removed to create a golden brown.
Mayonnaise or sour cream will be here more than ever.
Baked Potatoes in Butter and Cheese Foil
For roasting potatoes it is appropriate to use marinade. You can add spices or products to your personal taste preferences.
- Tubers are washed, dried and cut into thick disks, up to 2 cm thick;
- Prepare the marinade: add favorite greens, crushed garlic, spices and a few drops of lemon juice to olive oil;
- Vegetables marinated for 15-20 minutes, then strung on skewers. As an option, you can lubricate the already made blanks with marinade;
- Roasting time can reach up to 50 minutes.
This option in itself is already a complete dish, but you can add a light sauce to it.
In order to cook baked potatoes the first time, you should listen to the following tips:
- Potatoes should be young, variety – crumbly, with yellow flesh;
- If you bake it whole, then it is necessary to make transverse notches;
- Chicken subcutaneous fat can replace fat;
- In the fire should not be a flame. In order to prevent its occurrence, you can sprinkle the coal with salt.
And most importantly, experiments with recipes will help you choose the most delicious option.