Hiking has been a popular outdoor activity for many years. Whether you visit your favorite local route or one in a foreign country, there is no substitute for quality footwear. Choosing the best hiking shoes for men will make your adventures safer and much more enjoyable.
The better your shoes are, the more time you can spend enjoying your surroundings instead of getting distracted by foot problems. Not to mention the fact that comfortable hiking shoes will allow you to spend more time outdoors than you would normally use with lower options.
It is also good to bear in mind that there are several manufacturers and different brands that adapt to different needs. The key is to find the pair that best suits you according to the types of trails you enjoy. It will also depend on how seriously you take this activity and how often you plan to venture outdoors.
Why are mountain boots necessary?
When you buy the best hiking shoes for men, there are a number of things to consider. Hiking boots are designed to offer several benefits.
- Safety is one of the main concerns for all hikers, of course. You depend on your feet for each step you take. Not only do your feet support the full weight of your body, but you also need to gain traction. If your shoes allow you to slip, you could suffer a considerable injury. The better the grip, the less effort you will have to put in because your shoes will be part of the job for you.
- Your boots should also offer the best support for the entire foot and ankle. It can be easy to twist an ankle without adequate support.
- Another obvious reason to wear boots is to protect your feet against thorns and other rough elements. Thorns and other sharp natural objects can cause serious injury. Not to mention other potential risks such as snake bites and various insects. If you are hiking to an area known for snakes, your boots are your first line of defense along with the right clothes.
- The trails are designed to be explored in various climatic conditions, which means you are likely to encounter water at some point. If your feet get wet, you will feel uncomfortable and this can also increase the amount of friction. Not to mention many other possible consequences. The right footwear will keep your feet well and dry.
Who needs hiking boots?
In short, everyone needs boots or hiking shoes. It is not enough to simply hit your regular running shoes for the considerably tougher conditions of an outdoor trail. Not to mention the fact that your average street shoe will not last that long if you plan to tackle the trails. The use of regular shoes can cause injuries, as they are designed for other purposes.
For example, running shoes are made to offer shock absorption, support, and are some of the lightest of all. However, they offer no support for the ankle or much protection against natural elements such as hiking boots. If you are an experienced hiker, then you probably already know and understand the benefits of wearing proper boots.
Regular hikers benefit from having one or more pairs of durable hiking boots that will serve this specific purpose. New hikers can also benefit from the right footwear. At first, the muscles of your feet, legs, and ankles may not be as strong as you think. They are not specifically trained and the ligaments may not be as flexible as those of an experienced hiker. This makes you more prone to injuries. These injuries can be prevented by following the correct guidelines and investing in the proper boots.
Proper footwear is important for all hikers, including men, women and children. We all require the same level of protection and comfort.
What should you look for?
When you start looking for the best mens walking shoes, you will find several makes and models. Everyone says they are the best in the world. So, how do you know which partner to choose? There are some specific points to keep in mind, and they will also depend on your personal needs and preferences.
The first point to consider is quality. Look for manufacturers that use high quality materials to produce their range of footwear. The inferior materials mean inferior products and could easily let you disappoint when you need them most. The materials must also be durable. In particular, the sole of the shoe must be made of an extremely hard substance that does not detach or wear out too quickly.
Finally, they need to be resistant to the weather. You never know when a beautiful sunny day could end up in showers. You may even have to cross a shallow stream at some point, and this is when the weather-resistant footwear will be particularly useful! With each step you take, remember that the time will come when you will have to clean your shoes. This is why some types of materials are more popular than others. They are easier to keep clean and do not discolour due to contact with mud or moss.
What makes the boots different?
With so many styles to choose from, many hikers wonder why they should choose boots instead of shoes or runners. Each of these types of outdoor footwear has a purpose, and each has its own pros and cons.
- Trail runners are best suited for running along off-pavement routes. They are low cut, lightweight and the soles are quite soft. Many of them have a mesh upper that is ideal for ventilation, but not as durable. Rocks and other objects can still hurt your feet if you walk with these shoes.
- The walking shoes are also lightweight, but somewhat more resistant than the trail runners. Many of them have impervious characteristics; They offer more support and protection for their feet, and are popular with experienced hikers. By offering flexibility in the ankle, they do not offer ankle support.
- Hiking boots are the hardest of all, but they also tend to be the heaviest. Today’s boots are much lighter than those made several years ago, but they are still a little heavier than other types of footwear. They offer a wide range of benefits that include additional protection for the feet against things like rocks and thorns. They also extend up to the ankle to offer additional support. The soles provide the best traction on slippery roads and additional protection against possible bites.
It is also important to keep in mind that each boot has a different weight and, as a result, they are classified according to their weight.
Find a pair that fits
The search for the perfect partner does not need to feel like a chore. There is a lot of information about various brands online, which makes it much easier to conduct research. It’s not just about finding the perfect pair of walking shoes, but also the right accessories to help them last longer. The use of shoes is also a good idea when buying any new pair. Some of the best pairs of hiking boots include the following products.
Timberland White Ledge waterproof boots for men
These boots sell for approximately $ 170. Some of the most notable features include the durable oiled leather finish and the rugged rubber outsole. They are available in brown, black, brown and wheat. The full grain upper leather is sealed at the seams to provide superior protection against water. The padded tongue and collar add to the comfort, while the breathable insole removes moisture from the feet.
The template is also removable and perforated to allow air circulation and exceptional dryness. The multidirectional lugs ensure maximum traction while the B.S.F.P. The system (brake, support, bending and propulsion) is grateful for the impressive traction. The tongue keeps the pressure of the laces at bay while also keeping dirt and debris out of your boots. In general, hikers consider them extremely comfortable, resilient and durable.
Hiking boot Midvent Ventilator Moab for men by Merrell
A pair of these Merrells will cost you around $ 110. These imported boots are made of leather and mesh with a Vibram sole. They have a medium height design with a comfortable lace closure as well as air heels for shock absorption. Dry wet mesh lining and odor prevention ensure that your feet are happy every step of the way.
The anatomical insole of Ortholite guarantees maximum comfort and support. The sticky Vibram sole provides traction and grip in various forms of terrain. They are also wonderfully light, which makes wearing them a pleasure.
KEEN, Targhee II half waterproof boot for men
These boots are a bit expensive and sell for over $ 200. They are available in various colors, including black, brown and gray. They are leather with a rubber sole and praised for their impressive grip. The midsole is made of a dry membrane with dual density EVA foam. This makes it waterproof and breathable. The outsole is made of contoured EVA foam and is removable.
The ESS shank offers stability with every step you take. The sole tabs of these shoes measure 4 mm and the mid cut design increases the support of the ankle, which is always important when performed on steep terrain such as mountain trails. If you encounter rain or need to go through some shallow water, you can do it comfortably with these boots.
This company has made a great name over the years and, as a result, many hikers choose to buy their products over and over again.
Vasque St. Elias GTX backpack for men Vasque
A pair of these boots will cost you up to $ 200. They are available in light brown and dark brown leather with Vibram sole. They are equipped with D-shaped eyelets, a rubber protector, a padded collar and a tongue.
These boots also feature a comfortable EVA insole, Summit Last technology and GORE-TEX waterproofing. This makes it comfortable, durable and water resistant. All three of these properties are essential for any good hiking boot. It is important to keep in mind that they are a bit small, so when ordering, it is good to buy approximately half the size larger than you usually use.
Multifunctional boot Salomon X Ultra Mid 2 GTX
Salomon is a well-respected name in the trekking industry. They retail at between $ 110 and $ 170 and are available in black, blue and green. They are made of a combination of fabric and leather with a rubber sole. They are easy to tie with quick hook attachments and breathable mesh helps keep feet dry and comfortable. The best way to prevent blisters on your feet is to keep them dry.
Wet and sweaty feet experience higher levels of friction, and this can lead to injuries, as well as some painful blisters. They also have a protective rubber toe cap, and the reinforced tongue keeps dirt out. The GORE-TEX waterproof lining is ideal for keeping water and moisture, while the Sensifit system guarantees a comfortable and precise fit.
To ensure maximum traction, manufacturers have chosen the outsole Contragrip. These boots are perfect for multi-day hiking trails and are loved by passionate hikers all over the world. Not only are they praised for their multifunctional design, but also for their light weight. The lighter the boot, the easier it will be to enjoy your hiking experience.
Columbia Mudhawk Men’s Waterproof Hiking Boot
With just over $ 100, these Columbia Mudhawks are a reasonably affordable option. They are available in brown and black leather with rubber sole. These boots feature metal hardware and waterproof leather.
The waterproof design with sealed seams helps keep your feet comfortably dry while the Techlite midsole guarantees comfort. To keep you on track, the multi-grip outsole offers excellent traction, and many hikers enjoy wearing this particular type of footwear when exploring rugged terrain.
Hiking boots Hi-Tec for men Altitude V I WP
Hi-Tec is a well-known name in footwear, and its boots have existed for many years. This particular model costs between $ 50 and $ 100. Customers can choose between black, brown or wheat color models to meet their needs and preferences. They are made of leather and synthetic materials, while the sole is made by man. The upper section of full grain leather offers an impressive waterproof protection as well as booty construction.
There is even an additional layer of protection against water thanks to the hydrophobic ion mask technology (i-shield) in this boot. The metal hardware in the trunk is resistant to corrosion, which increases its durability. The OrthoLite sock liner offers comfort through cushioning while keeping odors at bay with its antimicrobial and anti-odor properties. They are lightweight and the EVA midsole makes them comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
For greater grip, the company chose a multidirectional traction approach for the rubber sole. It is also worth mentioning that Hi-Tec is responsible for the first light hiking boot and, today, they continue to develop and improve their products according to the needs of their customers and market demand.
Lowa Men’s Hiking Boot Renegade GTX Mid
Available in various shades of brown, black and gray, these boots can easily get more than $ 200 per pair. They are made of leather and synthetic materials with Vibram sole. Some of the most noteworthy features include the Nubuck leather upper, the temperature control insole, the midsole with a PU surround frame and the durable Vibram Evo outsole. These boots are preferred for hiking in any weather condition.
The Nubuck leather upper keeps water out, while the climate control insole ensures maximum breathability. The hot spots are reduced thanks to the waterproof lining without Gore-Tex seams. Like many boots, these models are small and the manufacturer suggests that they order. one size up to guarantee the best fit. Moisture absorption, shock absorption and lightweight properties make this a highly desirable option among outdoor enthusiasts. With non-slip rubber lugs, you can enjoy incredible confidence while exploring some of the most challenging trails.
For a custom fit, these boots are equipped with derby style laces. This company has been in business for almost 90 years and, with so much experience behind it, it is not surprising that consumers are willing to pay a little more for the brand they know and trust.
What else to buy
When buying footwear, it is important to remember that there are also other items that play a very important role in your comfort and in the durability of the shoe.
This is why many hikers invest in the following additional items along with quality boots:
- Ice traction cleats will help you improve your traction if you plan on facing especially hard terrain. No matter how much grip your boots offer, ice is always a force to be reckoned with, and special equipment is essential.
- Quality hiking socks protect your feet from blisters and friction. Even if the boots are well padded, there is still room for movement between the shoe and the foot. Durable hiking socks are excellent for reducing friction and keeping feet dry. It is important to look for the right combination of fabrics for maximum comfort.
- The templates come in all shapes and sizes. It is possible that your trekking boots have great insoles, but if they wear out or even if they need to be washed and you want to go out again, you will need an extra pair or two. There are some excellent templates on the market that absorb impacts and are suitable for a range of outdoor activities.
- Thermal or heating socks are a good investment if you plan to go hiking in cold conditions. When you have cold feet, you feel cold and hiking will be more of a pain than a pleasure. The high quality thermal socks will keep your feet warm so they can keep you on track.
- Footwear care is extremely important! The better you take care of your footwear, the longer it will last and the better it will look over time. There are a number of shoe maintenance kits on the market. When buying a kit of this type, it is important to make sure that the included products are designed for your type of boots. For example, you can not use anything to clean leather or suede boots. It will do more harm than good if you use aggressive chemicals.
Leather, in particular, requires special care. When a penny is spent on a pair of boots, it should be perfectly justified to spend a little more on the proper cleaning and care solutions.
- Laces are not the most durable products in the world and, most likely, yours can fail at some point. It’s not just the wear but also the tension in the laces and the fact that they tend to rub against trees, rocks and other objects while walking and climbing. Keep a couple of extra cords at all times, just in case. I would like to be forced to go all the way home or return to the camp without shoes!
Wearing their boots in
As with any other pair of shoes, your walking shoes should be broken before you use them on any serious walk. New shoes are known to leave painful reminders like blisters. The most common parts of the affected foot are the toes and the back of the heel. Here are some tips to help you avoid unnecessary injuries caused by new boots:
- Buy your hiking boots well in advance so you have time to use them before your outdoor adventure
- Make sure they fit well and that they are not too tight or too loose.
- Choose the appropriate socks and make sure your socks do not fall into the shoe while walking.
- Wear your boots around the house with thick socks to start with. The socks will protect your feet and, as you are at home, you will only use them in a relaxed environment.
- If you are happy to do so, proceed to use your hiking boots on short walks and even to the store.
- Gently flex the sole of the shoe with your hands to reduce stiffness and improve comfort. Do it with care and avoid rough handling that could cause damage.
- Soften and loosen the sole performing squats while wearing your boots. Rigid soles can cause significant pain in the legs, so work those soles before a long trip.
- Lighter boots often require that they break less than the heavier ones, but they should be worn anyway!
Get the most of it
You may have noticed that quality walking shoes are not necessarily cheap, but can you really put a price on safety and comfort? In the end, if you take care of your boots properly, you will make sure that you make the most of your chances.
The first rule to remember is that the hiking boots should be cleaned as soon as you return from your day. Depending on the nature of the conditions, you may need to remove the cords completely and carefully remove any mud or dirt. It will also be necessary to remove the stencils, and you may want to give them a good wash, rinse and drying as well. Open the boots well so that they dry properly and do not forget to remove the rocks and mud from the grooves of the plants.
When drying your shoes, you should do it in the right conditions and not leave them for hours under the sun. Dry them in the air is good, but do it in the shade to help preserve the different materials. It is not just the discoloration, but also the effect of the sun’s UV rays on the fabric.
Just replace the templates in the boots after they have completely dried. Never leave your shoes dirty at night as the dirt will harden and it will be even harder to clean.
Enjoy the road less traveled.
The right pair of footwear makes it possible to explore places you’ve never seen before. Not only can you do it comfortably, but also safely.
There’s no better way to escape the stress of everyday life than to leave everything behind and head to your favorite path! The fresh air and the sound of nature are what everyone needs to face the many stressors we encounter on a regular basis. The right boots will also make the treks less tired, since you will not have to work so hard to maintain a firm position; Your shoes will do a lot of work for you. Also, if you choose the light options, you will not feel less comfortable than you would with normal sneakers!