Today we are going to start with a scenario very well described by Hollywood films: the global destruction that ends the world as we know it and only allows some people to survive. Try to imagine something that will affect us on a planetary level, such as the changing magnetic poles, an apocalypse of zombies or anything else that you consider plausible. You fought hard for your life and that of your loved ones and, finally, the sun comes out again in a new era in which destruction stopped and you, the few people left alive, enjoy your first moments of calm and silence.
The landscape is not encouraging: there is destruction everywhere, debris, fallen buildings, destroyed cars, there is no communication system, no electricity, no fuel, and there is no possibility of beginning to rebuild this new world from a higher step. You just have to take it from the beginning and none of you knows how to do it. In this scenario, would not you love to have a place, hidden in the mountains, a large pantry filled with the best survival food that exists? This would give him an immense advantage over others, allowing him to live longer and be healthier.
They would have access to high quality, high quality food, while others would have to feed on what they could find. I could share, of course, but such a pantry can make you the king of the new world. Tempting thinking, right?
Well, unfortunately this article is not about how to become the king of the world (unfortunately), it is about how and what foods store to survive.
People have done this forever, and the bunkers of World War II that can still be found today are a very good test. In general, they are full of food and survival items that one might need in case the end of the world as we know it. We must follow his example and begin to stock up, just in case. Having a pantry will not only teach you about the best food to survive, it will also help you develop skills such as:
- Organizational skills – the pantry must be very well organized to keep a record of all the food there. You should place foods with a longer shelf life in the back and those that are more likely to break down in the front. You must make a regular inventory and eliminate any item that is about to expire.
- Survival skills – As you stock up, you will learn how to use your secret pantry in case of a disaster.
- Contractor skills – If you do not have a special place built somewhere on a high ground, away from everyone’s eyes, you’ll have to build it yourself (or ask for help from a professional). This will also teach you some things about survival and buildings.
- Purchase skills – You will learn how to buy food by really choosing only the important items and leaving behind foods that have no nutritional value.
- Nutritional skills – You will learn the amount of calories a person needs to consume daily to face a disaster and how to combine food to obtain the required amount of calories. You will learn about proteins and fibers and which ones are more important when an increase in energy is needed.
As you can see, having your own survival pantry not only allows you to store food to survive, but it also teaches you many other things. Now let’s talk about the food you need to survive.
The best survival food: anything you can find in a can.
Canned food is the wet dream of any survivor and these days you can find almost anything in a can. The food in a can becomes non-perishable until you open it. Through the canning process, air is removed from the container and the harmful bacteria are destroyed, allowing the food to last longer and feel fresh when the can is opened.
Our recommendation: stock up on canned foods that have a long shelf life (from one year to five). You can also start making your own canned food.
The best survival food to put in a can:
- Vegetables such as beans, peas, carrots, corn, celery, tomatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, asparagus, etc. Do not expect them to retain the same texture and flavor as when you first picked them up in the garden, but they will be perfect when you feel the need to eat something that used to be green. The vegetables are usually kept in glass jars as jars and kept in a salty solution that keeps them fresh for a longer period of time.
You can always opt for frozen vegetables, but this means you will have to have a refrigerator in your pantry and, in the event of a global disaster, we may run out of electricity. This means that your frozen foods will not last and you will find yourself in a pretty bad situation.
- Fruits like jams and compotes. You can store almost any type of fruit that you like: peaches, strawberries, apples, pears, oranges, etc. These will be very useful when you need a drop of sweetness in your bitter life after the disaster. Also, if you have children, you can clarify their faces with something sweet and refreshing.
Fruits are also very important for your fiber and fructose consumption. The fibers help regulate bowel movements and maintain the feeling of fullness for a longer period of time, while fructose can be a very good substitute for glucose, which is a food for the brain.
- Canned sauces such as tomato sauce or pasta, barbecue sauce, marinara sauce, sautéed sauce and any other sauce that adds flavor to your meal. These are not absolutely necessary from the point of view of a nutritionist, but they are necessary to give life to your life. When everything is dark around you, at least the food you eat may have a certain flavor.
- Canned meats – Meat is a very important food and it is absolutely necessary for an older adult when it comes to survival situations. The proteins that come from gather together like chicken, pork or beef help our body stay strong and work with optimal parameters. We recommend creating a special shelf for canned meats and gather as much as possible. These cans usually have a long shelf life and are packaged so that one can is enough for one meal.
- Canned fish – Fish is also an important category of foods that you should not forget. Fish brings us health and allows our circulatory system to function without problems, which is very important during such a stressful time. Be sure to stock up on tuna, salmon and seafood that are rich in omega3 fats that are essential for our health. These cans also last longer.
- Canned Soups – Having some food ready to eat is a great idea. If there are no heating sources and you can not cook, a tin soup will be your salvation. Just open the can and eat the soup. Soups provide additional nutrients to our system and are very well tolerated even by a sick organism. If someone gets a cold or feels sick, a tin soup can solve the problem.
- Canned pasta – Also a very good meal ready to eat. Pasta is a very important category of food, so make sure you buy a lot of this too. Must have whole and enriched varieties, as they provide a balanced diet with essential vitamins, phytonutrients and minerals. It is also a dense food that will allow you to fill up for a longer period of time.
These are some basic foods that should be on your list, but you can add anything you want. Canned foods are safe to store for longer periods of time, but be sure to check them regularly. Here are some tips on how to store canned food:
- do not keep them in direct sunlight;
- Keep them in an environment at room temperature and not in direct heat;
- Do not put them in the refrigerator or in the freezer, they are packaged in this way to resist them without the need for additional cold;
- do not store them together with sharp objects that can penetrate the container;
- Make sure that glass containers are stored safely on the shelf. If they fall, they will break.
Ingredients for cooking with a long shelf life.
Let’s face it: you can not eat foods from a can for a very long period of time. After a while, you will begin to feel sick just by glimpsing the sight like a can. Our body needs variety to work with optimal parameters and this is where you need to learn about the basic ingredients you can use to cook.
These basic ingredients are mostly beans and beans that can form the basis of almost any food invented on this planet. In general, these have a shelf life of approximately 10 to 12 years if stored correctly.
Your pantry should have the following:
- Soft white wheat
- Pinto beans
- Frijoles Lima
- Black beans
- All-purpose flour
- White flour
- Whole wheat flour
- White rice (has a shelf life of up to 10 years)
- Coconut oil: has one of the longest shelf life among oils (more than 2 years).
To keep them safe, you must store them under the following conditions:
- Beans need to be sealed and kept away from oxygen;
- Flours and grains need a moisture-free environment.
- Keep the beans and flowers in textile bags to allow them to breathe; an oxygen-free environment is not recommended;
- make sure there are no insects in your pantry; they are the worst plagues when trying to store grains and flours;
- Keep these items separate, in their special place, away from any perishable ingredient.
As you can see, there are many recipes that contain these ingredients and can nourish you and your family for a long period of time. In addition, you can use grains as seeds to make your own garden and grow your own organic food.
Other ingredients that should be in your pantry.
To make sure you really have the best survival food in your pantry, you need these ingredients that people tend to take for granted:
- Sugar (brown and white) and salt.
- Spices (pepper, oregano, basil, rosemary, tarragon)
- raw honey – in addition to the fact that it is healthier than sugar, it is also an antibiotic and has properties to heal wounds
- alcohol – you’ll definitely need a good drink of whiskey, brandy or vodka from time to time, so be sure to stock up on this
- peanut butter
- Coffee and tea
- Hard candy
- Energy bars: look for those with a high calorie count because you will definitely need them
- chocolate – again, can you imagine life without?
- Baking soda, not only for baking, but also for cooking and cleaning. You can replace the toothpaste with baking soda.
Make your apocalypse a little softer
When you start your survival pantry for the first time, you think of basic items like flour, oil, vegetables, fruits and anything that can resist long periods of time and that can help you resist during times of stress. However, after a while, you will be in danger of reaching the lethargy of food when your body has consumed the same type of nutrients every day and ask for something else. This is the moment when you start the day dreaming of pizza, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, fine cheese and any other delicacy that you can no longer enjoy.
Well, we say that you should spend your later apocalypse in style (at least when it comes to food) and also store some luxury items in that pantry:
- Meat must not only be canned. If you know how to smoke it or salt it, you can store the meat in its normal form. It will taste better and will have an incredible texture after a few months of meat in a can.
- The cheese can also be stored in your pantry. You should not miss the taste of fine cheese just because the world is almost over, right? Find dry cheese shells or buy varieties that live well in time. You can also store cottage cheese in a salty solution for long periods of time.
- Milk powder is a good way to remember how milk tastes. You can also start a small farm and raise some goats, cows and sheep. This can also solve your cheese problem too.
- Fine wine – the older the better. Do not hesitate to hide a few bottles of good wine in your pantry. Some day you will congratulate yourself for this good thought.
- Dry and dried fruits such as peanuts, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, figs, raisins and anything you want to add to the list. These are also a certain type of delicacies that will make your life a little brighter.
Remember, even if the world goes through a terrible apocalypse and there are only a few survivors left, this does not mean that you should give up the little pleasure you had left. It will be even better because you can share your treasure with others who will be extremely grateful for your wisdom.
The main conclusion when it comes to the best survival food is that there is no strict form. There are some basic ingredients that anyone should consider adding to their pantry, but the rest is completely their choice. Follow these tips and you should have the best stocked pantry:
- Only the food that you and your family would eat. It does not make sense to store something that you do not like. Yes, I would probably eat it in extreme circumstances, but you never know if it will last that long.
- Make sure you have a variety of ingredients: eating the same food every day will become extremely boring, so be sure to include the foods you would eat even if there is no apocalypse. If you like butter, add some canned butter to the list. If you like bananas, add some dehydrated bananas in your pantry.
- Foods rich in nutrients: do not store them in potato chips even if the shelf life is quite long. Look for real foods that can provide real nutrients. You will need them to do some real physical activity.
- Do not think about dieting: when the world is recovering from a big disaster, your last concern will be your weight. You will lose every additional kilogram in the wrath of disaster and fight to survive after the disaster ends. Be sure to stock up on high-calorie foods.
- Stock in delicacies – can be used for bartering. Less wise people may want to change their boring diet and then you will have the advantage in trading. You can get everything you want in this way.
And always remember, ready-to-eat foods should be your basic item. It is difficult to find the right conditions to cook after a disaster and you will need food to stay energetic and in a good mental state.
CONSERVATION OF FOOD