In the equipment of many fishermen, hunters, mushroom pickers and tourists there is an eternal match. Simple and reliable, it will help to make a fire in the most extreme situation, when it is fire that is the only way to survive.
- How does it work
- 2Plus and cons
- 3Modify the match, eliminating its disadvantages
- 4How to use and refill
- 5How to do it yourself
How does it work
It is important that the “eternal match” keychain has the simplest principle of operation. It is a small (half the size of a matchbox) metal container in which fuel is stored — usually gasoline. The tank is equipped with a metal rod, on the head of which there is a flint and a wick.
Having unscrewed the rod, hermetically closing the fuel in the tank, it is enough to hold the top of the magnesium strip located on the side to strike a spark. She instantly set fire to gasoline vapor. As a result, the eternal match lighter will burn for 20-30 seconds – quite enough to ignite a kindling, bark or dry fuel for a fire.
Advantages and disadvantages
Like any device, the eternal match has both certain advantages and disadvantages, which are extremely important to know before you buy it. First, we list the main advantages:
- Ease of use – working with it is no more difficult than with a regular match.
- It burns longer than the usual wooden counterpart, and all this time it will not burn your fingers – the flame is always on the head.
- It is not afraid of water – even if a tightly curled waterproof eternal match will spend several hours in the water, it can be used immediately after the magnesium strip dries.
- You can use it many times – you just have to remember to add fuel, just a few grams at a time.
Unfortunately, there are also disadvantages. The main one is the price. Of course, it is worthwhile that the eternal match is inexpensive – usually around 100 rubles, plus or minus a few dozen. But with this money you can buy about a hundred of the usual boxes of matches – such a reserve will be enough for several years of active use.
Eternal match you need to be able to properly use. It is enough to gape, so that the gasoline evaporates and the wick itself burns out, so that the device becomes unusable.
In a critical situation, this can turn into the most unpleasant consequences.
Modify the match, eliminating its shortcomings
Among the main disadvantages of this device, mentioned above, is the possibility of burning the wick. This is really a serious disadvantage, which has to be considered. It is not always possible to concentrate on a burning match after a difficult transition, which took a whole day. And to remain without the only means to make a fire will not please anyone – an experienced tourist knows that in some situations this is tantamount to a death sentence.
Therefore, it is necessary to take measures in a timely manner, sitting at home, in a warm and cozy atmosphere. After all, quite a bit to modify the metal eternal match, thereby significantly increasing its resource and reliability.
We have already described how the eternal match works. The wick is soaked with fuel, it evaporates quickly and the fumes are ignited. When the fumes are burned, the wick starts to burn. Therefore, you need to solve this problem.
A small piece of asbestos fiber will come to the rescue. It does not burn, but it is easily soaked with gasoline. If you carefully remove the standard wick and replace it with asbestos, after the fuel vapor evaporates, the match just goes out. It will be enough to dip it in a tank with gasoline and you can re-ignite – the performance will not suffer.
How to use and refill
Some people do not know how to use the eternal match. In fact, everything is very simple here. Working with her is no more difficult than with ordinary matches. Let us write for clarity the whole process:
- Unscrew the match from the container.
- Carry with gentle pressure on the magnesium strip.
- Ignite a kindling or other highly flammable material.
- Put the match in the container and screw it tight so that the gas does not spill out – because of the lack of oxygen, the flame will instantly go out.
As you can see, working with an eternal match is no more difficult than with a regular match.
We now turn to the next question – how to fill the eternal match? The best option – gasoline for lighters. You can buy it in many specialized stores. The high degree of cleaning allows you to almost completely get rid of impurities that cause an unpleasant smell when burning. Yes, and chadit such fuel is much less than gasoline from a gas station.
How to do it yourself
Some people who like to find original solutions or simply craft tourist equipment themselves often make timeless matches with their own hands. It is not as difficult as it may seem at first glance.
The master will need the following materials:
- old AA battery (finger-type);
- small plastic bottle (milliliters 200-250);
- a piece of plastic pipe that goes into the bottle;
- steel file having a small notch;
- mineral or asbestos wool;
- fuel (best gasoline);
- copper wire section 0.3 mm or more;
- rubber glue.
Now get to work:
- Saw a piece of about 25 mm from the flint.
- Disassemble the battery, leaving only the case.
- Shorten the file – the length should be slightly less than the length of the metal-plastic pipe.
- Insert the file into the battery case so that it sticks out 20-25 mm from one side.
- Fill the free volume in the battery with cotton – everything except 2 mm above.
- Wrap a large part of the file with cotton wool – a section about 2 mm long should remain free.
- Wind the wire over cotton wool – not tight, there should be a gap of 1-2 mm between the coils. Slide the double winding inside the battery case.
- Make a few longitudinal marks on the tube. The optimum depth is 30 mm.
- Insert the tube into the bottle and fill the remaining volume (bottles, not tubes) with cotton wool.
- Fill the tube with petrol.
- Insert the battery file into the tube.
- Spin the bottle.
- Secure the flint section on the bottle with glue.
Well that’s all. An eternal match is ready and surely will be able to save you in any unforeseen situation!