First aid for mushroom poisoning: what to do first

Unfortunately, mushroom poisoning is not uncommon. It happens, as a rule, because of the inexperience of the people themselves, because not all types are suitable for human consumption, and some can cause significant damage to health. First aid in case of poisoning with mushrooms is important information that all lovers of the harvest in the forest need to know.

  • Causes of poisoning
  • 2 Symptoms of mushroom poisoning
  • 3 Botulism
  • 4 First aid for poisoning
  • 5Prevention, how to avoid mushroom poisoning

Causes of poisoning

As mentioned above, the cause of the poisoning and intoxication of the body is the mistake of the mushroom picker itself. First of all, you need to know that mushrooms are divided into 3 large groups:

  • Definitely edible. You can use them without pre-treatment;
  • Conditionally edible. Eating them raw is prohibited. They require pre-boiling or soaking in water, depending on the further cooking mechanism;
  • Inedible. It can be poisonous and non-poisonous mushrooms, but their use carries a great risk, both health and human life.

Thus, eating an inedible type and not following the rules for preparing conditionally edible mushrooms are the cause of possible poisoning.

Toxins contained in these two groups of fungi, when ingested, begin to spread rapidly through the blood system. First of all, the gastrointestinal mucosa, kidneys and liver are affected. Also, toxins can disrupt the heart and central nervous system.

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning

Before starting first aid for mushroom poisoning, it is necessary to assess the patient’s condition and determine the affected organ. Symptoms will help to do this.

Spasmodic pains in the gastrointestinal tract with mushroom poisoningSigns of poisoning may include:

  • With the defeat of the gastrointestinal tract. Crampy abdominal pain. Disturbed diarrhea stools. Urging to the toilet occur more than 20 times a day. There is periodic nausea and vomiting. As a result, the body begins to experience severe dehydration. In particularly dangerous cases, blood may be observed in the feces and black nauseous masses;
  • With liver damage. The patient feels pain under the right edge. On examination, it is possible to detect increased yellowness of the integument, as well as an increased liver size. Extreme poisoning is expressed in liver failure and falling into a coma;
  • With kidney damage. The amount of urine excreted is greatly reduced. In the body of the victim gradually develops renal failure;
  • With the defeat of the central nervous system. Symptoms can be expressed as lethargy or, conversely, an excited state, hallucinations. In some cases, the victim may become unconscious;
  • With the defeat of the cardiovascular system. There are signs of tachycardia in the form of rapid pulse and heartbeat. Blood pressure levels can drop significantly.

Having identified the existing signs of intoxication of the body, you can begin to provide first aid for poisoning with mushrooms. Otherwise, the victim may face deterioration, coma or death.

Botulism

Botulism is an acute infectious disease. Often it can be caused by canned mushrooms. The main causative agent of the disease are sporiferous sticks, localized mainly in the ground. Accordingly, if the fungus is poorly washed from soil residues, then harmful particles may get into the jar with it. And the conditions of stay in a hermetically sealed space further affect their growth and development.

Canned mushrooms that have been improperly treated are a source of botulism infection.Signs of poisoning may include:

  • With the defeat of the gastrointestinal tract. Crampy abdominal pain. Disturbed diarrhea stools. Urging to the toilet occur more than 20 times a day. There is periodic nausea and vomiting. As a result, the body begins to experience severe dehydration. In particularly dangerous cases, blood may be observed in the feces and black nauseous masses;
  • With liver damage. The patient feels pain under the right edge. On examination, it is possible to detect increased yellowness of the integument, as well as an increased liver size. Extreme poisoning is expressed in liver failure and falling into a coma;
  • With kidney damage. The amount of urine excreted is greatly reduced. In the body of the victim gradually develops renal failure;
  • With the defeat of the central nervous system. Symptoms can be expressed as lethargy or, conversely, an excited state, hallucinations. In some cases, the victim may become unconscious;
  • With the defeat of the cardiovascular system. There are signs of tachycardia in the form of rapid pulse and heartbeat. Blood pressure levels can drop significantly.

Having identified the existing signs of intoxication of the body, you can begin to provide first aid for poisoning with mushrooms. Otherwise, the victim may face deterioration, coma or death.

Botulism

Botulism is an acute infectious disease. Often it can be caused by canned mushrooms. The main causative agent of the disease are sporiferous sticks, localized mainly in the ground. Accordingly, if the fungus is poorly washed from soil residues, then harmful particles may get into the jar with it. And the conditions of stay in a hermetically sealed space further affect their growth and development.

If you eat such an infected fungus, then the first signs will begin to appear within 12-72 hours. As a rule, they have the following form:

  • Nausea and vomiting;
  • Headache;
  • Loose stools;
  • Impaired vision, loss of clarity;
  • Dry mouth;
  • Difficulty breathing and swallowing;
  • Cramps.

Botulism belongs to the category of serious diseases, therefore, at the first clinical signs, it is necessary to urgently consult a doctor who can take the necessary measures and actions.

First aid for poisoning

While the medical team is on the way, in order not to lose precious time, you can begin to provide assistance to a person who has been poisoned by mushrooms.

potassium permanganate solutionAll actions should be directed to the maximum removal of toxins from the body. It is best to take the following measures:

  • Rinse the stomach. To do this, you can give the patient drink boiled water or a weak solution of potassium permanganate in the amount of 1.5 liters and trigger the gag reflex, for example, by pressing the tongue root;
  • If the stomach is not flushed at all, the victim must at least drink a large amount of fluid. It is necessary to prevent dehydration. Allowed drinking water, strong tea, mineral water, a solution of manganese;
  • Take a large dose of sorbents in the form of tablets, gels, powders. The calculation is based on 1 g of the drug per 1 kg of human body weight. The simplest options are Activated Carbon and Smecta;
  • If diarrhea and vomiting are absent, then you can take a laxative medicine or do a cleansing enema;
  • It is better to apply heat to the legs and on the stomach. For example, a heating pad or a towel soaked in warm water. Such a measure will prevent blood circulation.

If necessary, you can resort to symptomatic drugs. They are usually used in the following cases:

  • High body temperature;
  • Signs of dehydration;
  • Disturbed breathing.

At this, as a rule, first aid for mushroom poisoning ends. The rest of the treatment is carried out by doctors. The patient may require hemodialysis or blood transfusion. After all the necessary procedures, a diet will be assigned to the victim, which implies the rejection of fatty, heavy, smoked, spicy foods. And it will also be necessary to refrain from bad habits.

Prevention, how to avoid mushroom poisoning

It is very good to know how first aid is carried out in case of poisoning by poisonous mushrooms, but it is better not to allow this process at all. In order not to poison inedible mushrooms, you should pay attention to the following tips:

  • Not to collect and, especially, not to eat unfamiliar mushrooms or species that cause doubts;
  • Over-grown mushrooms, with signs of mold or lack of legs, are prohibited to collect;
  • Rinse and clean them must be not superficial, but thoroughly;
  • It is not necessary to collect mushrooms growing along roads, highways, not far from industrial plants, in areas with an increased level of pollution;
  • It is better to give preference to proven recipes for cooking and processing mushrooms, and not to experiment with insufficient knowledge
  • Cooking mushrooms preferably immediately on the day of collection;
  • Do not keep them warm.

Due to the fact that the mushrooms contain difficult-to-digest components, the intake of even non-hazardous species is not recommended for children under the age of 14, pregnant women, deeply elderly people and people with serious diseases.

Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: