Goggles for swimming are an indispensable element of equipment for both professional swimmers and amateurs. In this case, the glasses differ not only in cost, but also in their intended purpose. And the comfort and safety of the swimmer depends on how well the choice will be made. Because it is important to know what types of glasses for swimming exist, as well as features of the choice of accessory.
- The need for equipment
- 2Types of points and their features
- 3How to choose training glasses for swimming in the pool
- 3.1 Starting
- 3.2 Points with dioptries
- 4 Subtleties of selection
- 4.1How to choose the right swim goggles for adults
- 4.2How to choose children’s glasses for swimming
- 5Rating best manufacturers
- 6Best Swim Goggles
The need for equipment
The main function of swimming goggles is to protect the swimmer’s eyes. Plunging into the water, even at a shallow depth, an atmospheric pressure differential begins to affect the human eye. Because of this, the picture that the swimmer sees becomes fuzzy. In addition, the composition of water can also adversely affect the eyes.
When sailing in the sea, salty sea water damages the protective mucous membrane of the optic organ. Because of this, there may later be a burning sensation, pain and dryness in the eyes. The same negative effect, but with greater speed, provokes chlorinated water in the pools.
Properly chosen swimming goggles that fit snugly around the eyes protect the organs of vision from direct contact with aggressive media. In addition, the air gap between the eyes and the lenses helps the catcher to maintain a clear view, helping to maintain normal pressure.
Types of glasses and their features
All swimming glasses have several classifications, and differ in the material from which they are made and their functional purpose. The main materials from which swimming goggles are created are:
Silicone is a flexible and inexpensive material. Points from silicone have reliable fixing and high wear resistance. However, they sit very tightly on the face, and therefore after using them on the skin around the eyes, there are clear signs of wearing the accessory.
Neoprene is soft and light in weight. Glasses from it are not pressed into the face, but stick to it like a velcro. After their use does not remain pressed track. Neoprene goggles are used everywhere. Products have a higher price and lower wear resistance in comparison with silicone glasses.
According to their purpose swimming glasses are:
- Glasses with diopters;
In each of the functional groups, points can also differ significantly in form. In this case, regardless of destination, the lenses in these products are made of plastic. Ordinary glass with swimming goggles is not used because of the large weight and fragility, which is a great danger for swimmers.
How to choose training glasses for swimming in the pool
Training glasses are intended for the pool and open water. They can be used in endurance training, as well as in aqua aerobics, sports games and swimming with a small load. In order to choose the most convenient training glasses, it is important to take into account their peculiarities:
- Most models have a frame and a fixing strap made of silicone.
- The lenses of the glasses may have a different shape, but they are all molded from unbreakable plastic. Some models may have anti-fog coating or a protective coating against ultraviolet rays.
To reduce the discomfort of squeezing the face with glasses, some glasses models can be equipped with a special padding with an oburet. However, it does not impair the density of the accessory fit to the skin.
When choosing an accessory training model is very important to pay attention to the design of the bridge of glasses. They are 3 types:
- Step adjustable nose. The nose bridge is equipped with small protrusions, perekchelkivaya which can easily adjust the inter-eye distance points, ensuring the most comfortable fit;
- Removable nose. Such structural elements can be easily replaced with a more suitable in shape and length. Usually complete with glasses comes with 3-4 removable bridge of nose;
- Unregulated nose. They differ in softness and high durability. In this case, the frame of the lenses, the nose and the strap form a single whole, being cast simultaneously. These glasses are available in several standard sizes, children’s (Kids), teenage (Junior) and adult (Signor).
Adjustable and removable nose plates are made of flexible plastic. However, they often break. Therefore, for long-term use, it is better to give preference to training glasses with a fixed nose bridge. However, when purchasing them, it is important to accurately select a product with the required size of nose bridge. It is impossible to change the inter-eye distance in such a construction.
To adjust the size of the strap, which wraps around the head, a special clip is provided in such glasses. It can be located in the back of the head, and at the temples.
The unofficial names of these products are: “glass” and “Swede.” Points from the starter class are used by professional swimmers during competitions. In this case, often in the products of the same type is carried out and most of their workouts. This allows the athlete to get used to the accessory.
All starting points are distinguished by a very hard pressing fit. Most models have a softening edging completely. Also, few products, instead of a soft sealing fabric, are equipped with a thin, more often silicone, cuff.
Such products have an extremely small lens area. At the same time, they are distinguished by their prismatic oblique shape. These qualities can significantly improve the hydrodynamics of an athlete, reducing the water resistance to the maximum.
For reliability of fixing such glasses are equipped with a double strap. They are always sold as a set of lenses, a belt and a bridge of nose. Therefore, before using them, glasses must be collected in advance.
Glasses with diopters
This type of accessory is essential for swimmers who have vision problems. Such glasses are most often training. In this case, the lenses in them can be both the same and with different diopters for both eyes. In some models of glasses it is possible to replace the lenses.
Lenses for such glasses have a big step in diopters. This is usually 0.5-1 D, versus 0.25 D in conventional reading and working products. More accurate adjustments for water sports are not required. At the same time, choosing such glasses for swimming, you should choose products with lenses that have the same optical power as ordinary glasses. If there is no exact match in the vision correction, it is recommended to take accessories with a slightly lower optical power than required.
Glasses mask or half mask are large in size and, when used, cover almost half of the face. Such products are used in open water for shallow diving and hunting.
Glasses-masks have large lenses that provide a wide viewing angle. The rim and strap of the accessory are often made of silicone. But thanks to the large width of the product, the mask presses on the swimmer’s face not as intensely as the model of training glasses.
The lenses in the mask often have anti-fog coating and protective coating from exposure to ultraviolet rays. Some manufacturers produce a line of men’s and women’s masks for swimming. In this case, women’s options are smaller.
Subtleties of selection
Choosing glasses for swimming it is important to pay attention not only to the shape and functional purpose of the products, but also to the color of the lenses. They come in this color:
- Blue and blue-violet;
- Pink or purple;
Clear lenses are versatile. They do not distort the color and light content of the surrounding space. These lenses can be used both in the pool and while swimming in open water.
Blue and blue-violet can be used both on open reservoirs and in the pool. Despite the dark shades of the lenses, they do not give distortions. However, they are great for swimming in cloudy weather.
Mirror glasses are recommended for use in sunny weather on open ponds or in bright light in the pool. Mirror coating allows you to reflect the bright glare that can blind or disorient the athlete.
Pink and purple lenses add contrast to surrounding objects. Therefore, it is better to use it with diffused artificial or natural light.
Swim goggles with yellow lenses neutralize the rays of light from the cold spectrum. Thus, such products provide improved visibility both in the pool and in open water.
Since each person has his own body constitution, including the size of the head, the model of glasses chosen visually may not be suitable in shape and size. Because it is extremely important to learn how to choose this type of accessories.
How to choose swimming goggles for adults
The basis for choosing swimming points for an adult is to determine the target orientations of the product, material, price range and shape. Owning all this information you can begin the selection of points for swimming.
Since the main requirement for glasses is the reliability of their adhesion to the skin, it is easy enough to check whether the chosen product is suitable:
- The selected model for a few seconds to attach to the eyes.
- The field of how the sensation of the stuck object appeared, the hands should be carefully removed from the glasses.
- If the tried-on copy stays on the eyes even without the help of hands, then such glasses are suitable in size. They will provide reliable fixation and protect against water penetration under the lens.
It is also important that wearing an accessory does not provoke severe pain or discomfort with a normally tightened strap.
The least attention when selecting points for swimming should be given to their appearance or fashion brand.
How to choose children’s glasses for swimming
The principles of selection of children’s swimming glasses are almost identical to the methods for selecting these products for adult swimmers. It should be borne in mind that for normal swimming for fun is best to use glasses-mask. It is recommended to give preference to starting and training models in the case of professional water sports.
The choice of swimming goggles for the baby should be carried out by regular fittings. It is better to stop the choice on models which do not press down a gentle children’s skin. Therefore, the best option for swimming glasses are models from neoprene. However, they are not always suitable for visiting sports sections, because in the process of active training such accessories can slip.
Starting models that do not have a sealing layer may be necessary for a child no earlier than 3 years from the start of swimming.
Selected model points should not interfere with the review of the child and squeeze the eye socket. Best of all, if in glasses lenses go beyond the temple area. The most comfortable and durable are cast glasses.
If your child has vision problems, it is important to consult with an ophthalmologist and select products with appropriate diopters before buying glasses.
Rating of the best manufacturers
A large number of firms are engaged in the release and sale of swimming glasses. However, the most popular, and well-proven both at sporting events and during normal swimming, are products of such manufacturers:
- Aqua Sphere;
All these companies produce high quality products. However, all the advantages of the product are revealed only in the case when the glasses are chosen correctly.
Top swim goggles
Each model of swimming glasses has its advantages and disadvantages. Among the training models, the following accessories have the greatest number of positive qualities:
- Zoggs Phantom Tinted. They are equipped with a light and flexible frame that adapts well to the head structure of the wearer. This ensures the most comfortable and reliable fit and sticking. Lenses have anti-fog coating.
- Tyr Velocity Metallized. Mirror coating provides protection from UV light and glare, without compromising color perception. The glasses have a replaceable handle and anti-fog coating. The product is hypoallergenic.
- Arena SmartFit. Equipped with a flexible frame, easily adapting to the anatomical features of the head of the owner. In this case, the lenses can not be deformed. Equipped with thermoplastic seal.
Among the starting points used in competitions, the best are such models:
- Arena Cobra Ultra Mirror. This model is approved by the International Swimming Federation. The lenses have a curved low-profile design. This provides good visibility while maintaining low water resistance.
- Speedo Fastskin 3 Elite Mirror. High performance hydrodynamics with a broad overview. The mirror coating protects the eyes from ultraviolet exposure, as well as glare glare.
- Michael Phelps XCeed Titanium Mirror. The model is durable and has a large viewing angle with good streamlining. The glasses are resistant to mechanical damage.
The best glasses with dioptries are such models:
- Optic Envy Automatic. They have a wide obturator, so that the model fits tightly on the face without squeezing it. The lenses have a protective coating against ultraviolet rays.
- Speedo Mariner Optical. The model is versatile and suitable for sports swimming, and for recreation. Equipped with an adjustable nasal bow.
The most comfortable and popular children’s glasses are models:
- Zoggs Hydro JR.
- Zoggs Ripper Little.
- Speedo Mariner Junior.
All products are hypoallergenic and have anti-fog, as well as anti-glare coating.