In addition to use in military field conditions, the multifunctional army bowler has found widespread use in the tourist segment: it is acquired as a universal equipment for long hikes, hunting, and fishing. Ergonomic design, compactness and convenience determine its high popularity among the civilian population.
- Construction and use of army bowler
- 2Characteristics of combined army bowlers
- 2.2 Performance characteristics
- 3Swedish army pot M39
- 4 Advantages and disadvantages of an army pot
- 5Preparation for operation
Construction and use of army bowler
The most common oval-oblong shape of the vessel, having a convex-concave bottom relief. Usually one of the walls has a characteristic smooth bend inward, the product along the contour resembles a bean. There are spherical kettles, but they are less convenient to use and transport.
The product is equipped with a rigid wire loop handle that facilitates carrying and hanging over a fire. It is convenient to carry the container on the belt, for this purpose it is placed with the concave side towards the body. Available lid is often used in the form of a frying pan – it is used for warming or preparing main dishes. The handle of the lid is designed to hold the latter tightly on the main container, securely lock the product during transport, you can insert a tablespoon into the hole provided.
Characteristics of the combined army bowlers
To reduce the amount of equipment that servants have to carry around, a kettle with a flask was put into service, commonly referred to as “matryoshka”. It can be attached to a backpack, belt, put in a back bag. A versatile and practical set helps to solve basic tasks related to the provision of food and hot drink in field conditions.
The combined set comes in the following form:
- the kettle equipped with the turning handle handle;
- a metal or plastic flask with a tight-fitting lid;
- podkotelnik, also having a handle.
The jar is placed in a pot, the latter is inserted into the rake, the set can be placed in the casing. The case is usually supplied separately.
The assembled set is very compact – only 18x16x9 cm, usually it has a light color. The most common variations in which the components are made of light food-grade aluminum by strict army standards.
All items included in the kit can be used separately.
The main pot is useful for:
- cooking in a standing and hanging position;
- transporting liquids over long distances (up to 1 l, you need a rake);
- carrying water to the place of cooking;
- vapor recovery during distillation;
- creating a catchment basin during solar desalination;
- collection, storage and transportation of loose products;
- technical needs – making glue, soap, etc .;
- collection and kindling of ice, snow.
Purpose of the flask:
- carry up to 1 liter of liquid;
- metal model, unscrewing the twist, can be used in the form of a kettle for tea, broth;
- capacity for distillation of salty, dirty water;
- an anchor for pointing a rope crossing, throwing a safety rope, while traveling on a craft.
Podkotelnik can serve:
- bowl for layouts, cooking thick food;
- scoop for digging loose soil, water intake;
- tight lid for the pot;
- a mug for drinking drinks;
- frying pan.
The cover helps protect the set from dirt and makes it easy to carry. If necessary, it can accommodate small items – berries and nuts, cartridges. If you wet the tissue product, it will help keep the tolerated fluid cool longer. In the field, patches are cut out of it to restore equipment and clothing.
A practical solution – cooking in two containers at once. To do this, put a pinteller on the pot so that the bottoms of both tanks are looking down, the design is fixed using the handle of the lower compartment. Such an assembly can be installed on a hearth stand, campfire supports, it can be hung on a crossbar. In the upper part they cook thick, and in the lower part – liquid.
The design can serve as a desalination plant (or distiller) of salt water or liquid with impurities. For this purpose, in the upper part of the pot a hole is formed into which the end of the flexible hose 50-90 cm long is tightly closed. The flask is closed using a cap from a plastic bottle connected to the second end of the hose. Podkotelnik put on the pot as a lid and firmly fixed, this preform is placed in a cool place, cold water is poured into the upper part. A two-thirds flask is filled with liquid, heated on coals or over a fire.
After 7-8 minutes, steam will begin to precipitate and condense, about 400 ml of pure liquid suitable for drinking will accumulate in the kettle in an hour. It is desirable in the process to update the cold water poured into the rake, so that the condensation process is more intense.
Also, the design can be used as an additional tank for carrying water, providing it with a rubber or cellophane gasket between the under-bath caliper (mounted on top) and the kettle. The liquid is poured into a flask, placed in a popodilnik, and the lower tank (up to 1 l).
Swedish army bowler M39
Due to the wide spread among the civilian population, the name of this equipment has become a household name. Swedish army pot – ShAK – made of stainless steel, the set, in addition to the functional tank, includes a lid with a handle, a casing (it’s also a windproof stand), a spirit burner and a flask for fuel. On the handle of the pot there is a fire hook, it is equipped with convenient holders.
Alcohol can only be used in a steel burner, since the rubber parts present are destroyed by contact with gasoline. The casing helps to reduce fuel consumption, it can be made of steel or aluminum, the design provides stops for the installation of the pot. A plastic flask for fuel is transferred directly to the pot; it is completely placed in it along with the burner. In addition to the ShAK, you need to separately pick up a multifunctional spoon and a metal mug.
Advantages and disadvantages of an army pot
The marching army bowler exhibits the following strengths:
- it is universal, easy to carry and use;
- the minimum set of containers is adapted for cooking and heating in the field conditions of the first and second courses, boiling broths or tea;
- the design allows the use of gas and alcohol burners, a fire, and tile tiles as heat sources;
- Stainless steel army kettles have a large operational resource, thick-walled aluminum is also durable, food burns less, and heat is evenly distributed;
- flask and pot create a rational volume, sufficient for one consumer;
- in metal flasks you can boil water over the fire, thanks to the small diameter of the neck, metered flow is provided. The lost container lid can be replaced with a plug from what is on hand;
- products are sold in an affordable price range.
- The cork of the flask is often equipped with a black rubber seal, as a result of prolonged use, it can transmit an unpleasant smell to water. Anti-taste measure – cork gasket replacement;
- The standard insurance for a flask of a flask against loss is a steel chain, they knock on the metal as it moves, so it has to be replaced with a rope or rubber band. An incomplete water tank sometimes snaps loudly in the cold;
- soot is eaten into the pot metal, it can hardly be washed with soil, sand;
- if dirt gets into the space between the flask and the kettle, the design will be difficult to disassemble;
- the functional capacity is rather unstable, it needs to either be hung up, or with special care installed on coal, without leaving it unattended;
- the handle of the popcote has a tendency to heat up so as not to burn, you have to tie a stick to it or use a rag.
The weight of the set does not cause discomfort when worn on a belt; it can be reduced by removing the undercloth and case, replacing the aluminum flask with a plastic one.
Preparation for operation
Warehouse conservation involves the factory application to the set layer of grease. Therefore, immediately before use, it is necessary to disassemble the entire kit, boil each element separately in soda solution. The set should cool down at room temperature, then wipe it thoroughly with a soft cloth. The internal cavity of the flask and pot is recommended to rinse with alcohol or boiling water. After that you can use containers for storing water and cooking.
In field conditions, a flask can jam in a pot if sand or dirt gets between them. Experienced users in order to avoid this effect grind the flask with emery paper, thereby providing a small gap – in this case the products will fit freely into each other.
If the pot has a factory paintwork-masking, it can not be used over an open fire, as the decorative layer will peel off and peel off. The craftsmen remove the paint in advance so that in hot conditions it is possible to cook hot dishes in the product without consequences.
A big plus if there is a case in the kit: thanks to it, you can conveniently place the kettle on the belt. The metal set is quickly soiled with soot, and the casing will protect clothing, the backpack from stains.