The fist of the paracord monkey is a type of knot very well tied, that has a serious history behind it. It is basically an adjustable loop made of rope, in addition to the marble ball or a steel ball in a knot at the end.
As such, in this article we will cover the story of the monkeys’ fist, we will tell you how it works and how one can do it at home, but in no way do we advise you to use it for illegal purposes, but only for Entertainment, since in some states It is still considered an illegal weapon.
What is the story of the monkey fist?
This knot was used by sailors at the beginning to pass lines between ships or between a ship and the coast, mainly because it could add enough weight at the end of a line. The sailors did not use a marble or steel ball as we do now, but some other heavy object that could add some weight to the knot, like a bolt or a rock.
After tying the knot correctly and placing it at the end of a line or rope, the sailors used it to deliver the message to their target more accurately. In fact, the knot is known as a monkey fist, but the rope acts like a flail, which is very precise in delivering energy and momentum. This means that there is a lot of precision in the launch, but it also means that if another sailor were hit by it, it would be quite hurt.
The sailors invented this type of transport mechanism to replace the previous one, which involved the use of large, heavy ropes that were not handled so easily and could not be used with the same precision between ships as a means of communication.
Today, people use the fist of monkeys for many reasons, such as:
- A convenient keychain – Put your keys on the rope and then inside your pocket or bag, but leave the knot outside so you can grab the keys more easily.
- A zipper puller – If your favorite bag has a too small zipper, you can place the rope through the zipper and then pull the knot to open the bag faster.
- A toy for your pet. – You can use this knot when you want to give your cat or your dog a new toy to play, that can roll easily on the ground.
- Skydiving – If you like this activity, then a monkey fist is exactly what you need to replace the traditional handle of your parachute, as it is stronger and more durable. You can also change it as often as you want.
- Rock climbing – This is an archaic use of the monkey fist, but it is still good if by chance you have no other options: you can use this knot to break the rock and get new grips for your hands and feet.
Why does it work?
The monkey’s fist knot attached to the end of a paracord ingeniously employs the basic principles of physics to get the most strength and a strong throw. Since the force is the result of multiplying the mass and acceleration, and since the steel or marble ball is not so heavy, you must throw the ball with great force, so that you can give it enough speed and accelerate it as fast as possible .
So, how can you do that?
- Use your muscles to the fullest.
- Use more distance to create more acceleration.
First, you must use the hip muscles to push the ball forward, not just the arm muscles. This is a basic boxing technique that can also be used when throwing different objects. The point is to turn on the leg in front of you and use it to push your hand forward while moving your hips.
What you want to achieve even more is a centripetal movement. So if your cable is 30 inches long, do not just throw the ball forward, because then you are only going to use this distance. Instead, rotate it in a semicircle with a radius of 30 inches from back to front, and it will be 3.14 times longer, because the circumference of a circle is the result of multiplying its diameter (which is twice the radius ) with? (3.14).
Therefore, instead of using only 30 inches of cable to accelerate your ball, you’ll be almost 95 inches away, which is a significant improvement.
Therefore, even if you have a very small lead, steel or marble ball, you can make a dent in the rock that is rising, send an important message about a stretch of water or leave someone unconscious if you are not careful.
How do you make a monkey fist?
There are two ways to tie this knot, and we’ll show you how they both work, in addition to telling you how to make the rope for the monkey fist.
So here is what you need to have first:
- A piece of string
- A scissor
- A ball of marble or steel or a round rock.
- You have to be patient, because you will not achieve it from the first attempt.
- You must be especially careful when you clench your fist, because otherwise the cable will not stay properly in place.
- You should start with a piece of string or rope longer than the final length you have in mind for your flail.
- You can not have a good monkey fist without the ball that you put inside the knot, because that is what will make it tighter.
- If you do not have a marble or steel ball, a piece of round rock works just as well for this homemade contraption.
The cuff mono of 3 loops.
- Hold the rope correctly. Keep your left hand open, and place the rope on its edge so that the short tail is in front of your hand, while the larger portion of the rope is behind it. You will work with the larger end, which you will use to create the knot.
- Wrap the rope vertically. At this point, you should grab the rope by the long side and roll it around your fingers in three steps. The first wrap should begin in the area where your fingers meet the palm of your hand, while the second and third wrappers are a little higher and closer to your fingertips. You have to use the index finger, the middle finger and the ring finger – or simply the first two – to wind the cable easier.
- Slide this looped wire from your hand. Be careful to maintain the same orientation even after removing the cable, and pay attention to keep your hand in a similar position, so that the coils stay in place. Use your right hand to slide the cable from your left hand, but keep the first turn where you are. You can achieve this by keeping the rope together with the use of your index finger and thumb.
However, you also have the option to keep the rope in your left hand if you feel more comfortable like that, and then thread the following horizontal coils between the fingers and the palm.
- Wrap the rope horizontally. Once you have successfully removed the cord from the left hand, you can grab the long tail and roll it perpendicularly around the 3 vertical loops it has, where the fingers used to be. Repeat this step 3 times, and each new horizontal thread must be above the previous one. Therefore, you will get 3 loops of rope vertically, which are now also secured by 3 horizontal links.
However, remember not to tie these horizontal links too tight, as they should be a little loose to create the perfect knot. After you have made the horizontal turns, create another coil with what is left of your rope, placing it through the 3 vertical wires. Next, you must make the last turn by passing your rope through the center and not through the outer thread.
- Wrap the rope vertically again. At this point, you should be able to make another 3 vertical turns, grabbing the long tail and wrapping it around the horizontal threads you created previously. As you place the string through the opening, you must pass through each horizontal wrap, but you should try to place your string between the first 3 vertical loops.
You must have enough rope to make this wrap 3 times. Actually, you are knitting the rope around existing threads, but be careful to insert it through the top and pull it out from the bottom. At this point, the shape of the monkey’s fist can be seen more clearly.
- Put the ball inside. To make your knot stronger, you must add something inside that gives it a little mass, such as a marble ball, lead or steel, or even a pretty round rock. Even if you do not have this kind of weight, you can finish your knot, but it will not hold as strong and strong as if you had something inside to hold it in place.
- Tighten the knot It is likely that this step will take a little more time, since you must be very meticulous about how you squeeze the monkey fist. As such, you will have to pull and pull each loop very gently, starting with the first and ending with the last one.
Therefore, securing the slack means tightening each string individually, but it is important to follow the order in which you created the loops. Therefore, start with the first set of vertical coils, followed by the horizontal curls and then the last vertical loops you made in step 5.
The fist mono of five threads.
This is another great way to make a monkey fist, in case you have already mastered the first method.
- Hold the rope correctly. The first thing you should do is make sure the rope is properly placed. If you are right-handed, you should open your left hand and put the rope in the palm of your hand, but on the edges of your hand.
As with the first method, the short tail should be in front of the hand, while the long and functional tail should be behind the hand. This short end of the rope should be pulled as much as necessary so you can pass your little finger. Again, you must be careful to have a rope or rope long enough so that the short tail does not come out of the knot.
- Wrap the rope vertically. This time, the cable should be coiled vertically 5 times. You will have to grab it by the longer end and then make 5 loops around your fingers. Each loop should begin near where your fingers meet the palm and end closest to the tips of your fingers. These wrappers should be one on top of the other. When you reach the last loop, you wrap the cable around your finger before wrapping the cable around your fist again. After this, you will pull the cable towards you.
- Pull the cord from your hand. Now you must keep the same orientation of the rope that you had in your fingers, and you can do it if you keep your left hand in a similar position, to prevent the loops from disintegrating. As with the first method, some people may find it more comfortable to keep the paracord on their fingers. If that is also your case, the horizontal loops you are making in the next step should be placed between the fingers and the palm.
- Wrap the rope horizontally. In this step, you will have to tie the rope horizontally 5 times. For this purpose, you must grasp the long tail of the cable and insert it perpendicularly to the 5 vertical coils you just made.
You will repeat this movement 5 times, and each horizontal coil must be on top of the previous one. When you have finished with this, you will get 5 strands of rope that are rolled vertically, but are also held together by 5 horizontal straps. Remember that you do not have to really secure them firmly, but rather without squeezing them. After doing that, you must roll the last remaining loop around the first vertical strand.
- Wrap the rope vertically again. Now you will have to return to work in the vertical plane. Grasp the long tail of your cable and place it inside the horizontal strands, from top to bottom. Repeat this movement 5 times. The cord must be wound between the first vertical loops, but above and below the horizontal loops. The last loop must be linked to the first vertical strand that you created.
- Place the ball and tighten the knot. As in the first case, you need a weight inside the knot to strengthen it, and then you must squeeze it gently pulling on each loop you have created so far.
The monkey fist rope
- Make the monkey fist knot. The first thing you must take care of is to make this knot of 3 or 5 threads, following the steps that we have listed above. Also, you should use a larger piece of string, which is long enough so that you can use it as a rope. It is also useful to have a key ring by hand, in case you want to use this rope as a key ring.
- Make the hangman’s rope. With what remains of the rope you used to tie the knot, you can create a symmetrical “S” shape. Once you have done this, you will be able to wrap the previously created knot around this sinuous form of the rope. Do this 3 times in a row, with movements similar to those used to create the fist monkey knot itself.
- Put the monkey’s fist inside the loop of the rope. At this point, you should take the remaining thread and roll it around 3 times, and each time move closer to the hole. To keep it better, use glue or super glue for the wrappers and remember to cut off the excess paracord you may have.
- Add your keychain to the cord. If you have a key ring available and you want to create a key ring, you should simply weave it around the hole that emerges from the end of the knot. After that, it’s just a matter of attaching the keys and that’s it.
That said, if you hit someone with the ball in the knot it can hurt a lot; In fact, with the right strength you can even break a hole in the wall.
In addition, you can grab someone with the paracord of the monkey fist or with the rope, but it is not the most practical weapon.
However, it is better to remember that in some states it is considered illegal and you should not take it with you, not even for self defense purposes. As such, consider using other legal weapons, such as pepper spray or a taser.
DO IT YOURSELF