For those of you who think that social collapse is just a good idea for a horror movie, we have news for you: even NASA thinks it will happen too soon because our society has reached the same stage as all the big ones societies. Before crumbling to the ground. The point is that we have exhausted most of our natural resources, which will take us to our destination without hindrance. But there are also other scenarios that we could consider that will accelerate our disappearance, apart from global warming, like a virus or even a generalized power cut.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know to prepare for a disaster that could ruin our society and how you can survive in these atrocious conditions.
What are the worst case scenarios?
To be honest, the worst that can happen is a nuclear bomb. But if that is the case, we are all dead, except those who have built impressive and long-lasting bunkers with tons of supplies. However, there are some other things that could happen for which we can be prepared.
A zombie virus
It is true that medicine has advanced enormously, but that facilitated the evolution of other dangerous things, since certain viruses have become immune to drugs. It is not unreasonable to think that we can be infected with something so strong that it can control our minds and transform us completely.
In addition, we are doing all kinds of experiments that we do not know and that can help the evolution of this type of virus.
If that happened, we would not have access to:
- Food – The crops must be watered, and the irrigation systems will fail. But the food also needs to be transported, and that can not be done without electricity.
- Water running – You can not have that without electricity, and the generators work for a limited time.
- Hot – Most heating systems need electrical power to operate.
In addition, all the prisons in the world have electric fences and doors activated by energy, which would suddenly stop working: it would be a complete chaos.
That’s something we’ve known for a while, and it can also lead to a new world order from:
- There will be little food left.
- There will be little or no water available.
- The elites will control the scarce remaining resources.
- Temperatures will change drastically, which means that even if you are self-sustaining, it will be difficult for you to grow.
What do you need?
That said, let’s look at the basic things you need to have or look for in case our world ends in total ruin. However, you can be sure that our society will become really unstable, it is likely that violent groups of looters will appear who will try to steal everything they can find in stores, pharmacies and homes, without being afraid of killing those who stand in their way. . That’s why you need to think in advance about everything you should have prepared.
Water and food
These are some of the basic elements for which you need to plan ahead. Because people can survive without eating for almost 2 months, but only 2-3 days without water. So it’s good to think of emergency supplies like bottled water or canned food, but that can last up to a month.
Then, it would be best to also obtain a water purification system, so that even if it rains and you find a mud puddle, you can get clean water with that. If you have a boat or other type of watercraft, you can also get a desalination system for seawater. The last thing you would want is to die of thirst in the middle of an ocean.
When it comes to food, the fall of the modern world will probably take a few decades to recover, so it’s good to have some seeds in your emergency kit too. That way, you can plant them at a later date, once you have settled down again so that you can live a self-sustaining life.
The shelter problem can generate some debate when considering which option is the best for you: a mobile shelter, a fixed one or both. It is always a good idea to have a tent, as well as a sleeping bag. It is better to choose the elements that can withstand the lowest temperatures; You never know where you could end up.
But in some conditions, it would be better to think about looking for a shelter on higher ground, like in a tree: most humans will not think of looking for someone else there, and most non-human predators can not climb to get you. .
On the other hand, fortifying your house or building an underground bunker can also be a great idea, since they are safer than a tent.
However, let’s say that there is a zombie apocalypse and that all your friends and neighbors have been bitten and transformed. Can you be sure it is safer to sit still? Sure, you can clean the area, but new threats can constantly appear.
In addition to this, consider your resources: if you stay in one place, you could consume the food you have and then be forced to walk away. What if the looters discover you? Then you will have to fight against them for what is yours and may not end in your favor.
So, why not get a boat? You can go out to sea, eat fish and drink desalinated water. Also, you will see that the danger comes from miles away. The problem is that you may not come back to earth and you can not travel very far.
However, no one can guarantee that you will be able to remain undisturbed in your own home for a long time, so it is best to consider all your options and be prepared to move.
Here are your best options for transportation in case of a total breakdown of the company:
- Cars – These are excellent options to secure your supplies and to provide you with a comfortable shelter. The disadvantages are that they need gas to run, and they are also quite noisy. It is good to have a car at least at first, since you can travel a longer distance in less time.
- Motorcycles – If there is a lot of traffic and clogged cars blocking motorways, a motorcycle can be better to get out of a traffic jam. However, you will not be able to pack as many supplies and you will not be able to use it as a shelter.
- bikes – A bicycle is the perfect idea when it comes to moving at a steady and moderate pace, without making much noise or attracting too much attention. If you do not have much luggage, that can be an excellent option. You can even use a bicycle through alpine or forest roads that you would not have access to with a car.
Where would you go?
You must have a plan in place for the best escape options in case everything goes south.
In fact, all these options can be reconsidered according to the disaster that will cause our disappearance, but it is better to reflect on some destinations now.
In the mountains
Is it better to go somewhere north, where you can live in a forest?
- You can take refuge better in the forest.
- You will have lots of wood to keep you warm during the winter.
- You will find a lot of materials to build a cabin.
- You can find a lot of springs.
- You can find some animals that you can hunt.
- You will not have very good visibility in the forest; You will have to walk up to a peak for that.
- It is possible that you can not plant your seeds.
- If you do not have a good fence, you may be the victim of a surprise attack.
- The weather is not very pleasant, so the members of your group may not survive.
In a farm
Maybe you have a farm, or someone in your family has it. This option has advantages and disadvantages too.
- You will sleep in a house, in a bed.
- You can grow food.
- You can grow cattle.
- You can build a community.
- You can have better visibility.
- You can be too comfortable and deny the end of the world.
- You can become an easy target for both humans and non-humans.
- You may not find enough firewood.
- In case of drought, you may not have enough water.
At the sea’s shore
This is one of the options that you definitely need to consider.
- Warmer weather, you do not have to worry about getting enough wood for winter.
- You can fish and eat other seafood too.
- You can swim when you need to refresh.
- You can sleep in a store or on an abandoned boat.
- You will have very good visibility.
- You may not find enough fish.
- It may be too hot in the sunlight.
- You may not have enough water.
- Sleeping in a tent can be dangerous.
- You may have good visibility, but your enemies can also see you more easily.
Group or not group?
That said, you must think if you can survive better alone or in a group. Obviously, people are pack animals and we can only thrive when we are in a society, but that is true in the long term. In the short term, on the other hand, it might be better to survive either alone or in a small group. Let’s analyze these options one by one to see which could be more appropriate.
This may not be an option to start, but it may end only if everything collapses too quickly and you can not find your friends or loved ones anywhere.
The best thing when you’re alone is that you do not have to worry about protecting other people or being a burden to them. You can move at your own pace and make the decisions you consider best for you, without having to discuss or consider the opinion of everyone else.
On the other hand, you may not have all the knowledge on how to survive without modern comfort for a long time. Do you know how to make bullets or the names of the chemical compounds used in basic medicines? Do you know what mushrooms you should not eat? Some people may have valuable information that could save their life.
Also, even if you move fast on your own, you must stop and camp at some point. If you are alone, you may not be able to keep an eye on the entire night, which is a definite drawback.
If you are in a large group and you are the leader, you may end up having more responsibilities on your shoulders than you can predict. If you are not the leader, you may have to sacrifice yourself for the good of the community if they ask you to. Therefore, it may be more protected, but it may also end up assuming more risks.
The destruction of modern civilization will require a reconstruction of society, so that in a large group you can achieve it more easily, if you survive. You can find people with different skills that can protect you better and can help you find or increase more resources. You can also build things faster if you work together and at least preserve the appearance of a civilized world.
In the long term, you can also find different communities with which to trade and establish beneficial relationships that can help you live longer.
This is a great idea, at least for the beginning. In fact, you can talk to some of your close friends or relatives, and come up with a plan of who you can take in case everything collapses around you.
Who do you need?
- A leader. First of all, you need someone with great organizational skills who thinks about the welfare of the group above all else. A leader is someone you can count on to always evaluate the pros and cons of a given situation and make the best possible decisions, even if they are not pleasant.
- An expert in survival. You need a person who can survive in nature, who knows how to build a shelter and a fire, who finds the best tracking routes and who knows one or two things about hunting and using weapons.
- A scientist. Someone who knows how to grow or make medicines from basic chemicals, someone who can make things happen with few resources is definitely the person you want on board. If they also have some kind of medical training, they can keep it running for longer.
- A pacifist You need someone to keep the group grounded, because in stressful conditions caused by the final spirits of the world they are likely to rise a little more.
Who do not you need?
- People who complain a lot Unlike pacifists, these people will amplify stress and make you argue instead of coming to a quick and effective conclusion.
- People who take unnecessary risks. Leaders can make difficult decisions, but always think about minimizing risks. People who do not do so will put you in danger instead of helping you.
- People who are not willing to learn Instead of helping you get the best resources, these people will become deadlifts very fast.
- People who can not respect the structure of power. These people will only think what is right for them and lead their group to anarchy.
- People who are willing to betray you to save your own skin. It goes without saying that these people will definitely not work together with other people, and are simply using your group instead of helping you.
Do you know how to defend yourself?
Knowing how to defend yourself makes the difference between life and death in the event of a global disaster.
Because with the disappearance of the armed forces and the police, malicious groups will arise that will not think twice about killing you for a bottle of water.
So you need:
- Get fit – Strength training, running or swimming are excellent ideas to increase your muscle mass and help you stay in good physical shape.
- Learn to use a gun. – You will have to learn to pull the trigger to scare away the bad guys and protect what is yours.
- Get weapons – Knives, pistols, rifles, hammers, axes, everything you can get your hands on. However, if you try to be stealthy and not make a lot of noise, you should not use firearms.
- Learn hand-to-hand combat techniques. – No one will play by the rules once the world is over, so make sure you know the best moves to win even in a dirty fight.
To summarize, we do not know what can happen to us or when, but we can also hope that this is the case: history has taught us that every great civilization is destined to fall at some point, and we have surely converted Mother Nature. against us.
As such, it is always better to be prepared for the worst scenarios, have a plan for everything and learn everything you can about survival and self-sustainability.