We live in the era of new technology when our phones are full of useful information and applications that are useful exactly when you need them. We no longer have to remember complicated things, there is always an application for this if we look hard enough. Well, today we’re going to talk about the survival apps for your phone and how they can help you in a stressful situation.
Many of you may be a bit skeptical about this and it is understandable. Probably, the first image that comes to mind when we talk about survival and telephone applications is a male survival, in the middle of nowhere, with a machete in one hand and a smartphone in the other hand that asks Siri what do next. The situation is not like this, a true survivor still needs to know everything there is to know about survival, but for a beginner, a survival app could be very useful.
However, it is not recommended to base all your knowledge on a device as fragile as the smartphone. We all know how many things can go wrong with him, even when he is in our house, where the environment is safe and the natural elements do not arrive. These are just some examples of what could go wrong with your smartphone when you are away, exploring the world:
- could drop it on a rock and the whole screen could be broken leaving you with a spider web (of course, the touch will be unusable)
- could fall out of your pocket (they are thin and slippery) and you could fall into a ravine or just do not notice when you lose it
- the battery could die
- moisture can break the device
- If you go through a sequence and forget to take the phone out of your pocket, you can take an unwanted bath.
- there is not enough coverage
- your data network may not work
And these are just to name a few problems. But, if you are prepared with a spare battery and store your phone in a secure pocket, on the upper part of your body and place it in a protective case, you may have a very important ally with you.
The main idea here is that you need to know your basics of survival, but it’s not wrong to have some survival apps installed on your phone. These applications complete your survival kit, allowing you to instantly access valuable information. In addition, some of the best applications have been developed by experienced survivors in their quest to keep people safer wherever they were.
SAS Survival Guide
You may be familiar with the bestselling book called SAS Survival Guide. Well, this guide, written by John Wiseman, a former instructor and special air service soldier, was incorporated into one of the most amazing survival applications. The positive side and, at the same time, the negative side (depending on each person’s perspective) is that the application does not require a connection. The package installs everything on your phone, which means you will need storage space (the inconvenience).
The logic behind this is that in nature, the possibility of obtaining coverage and mobile data is quite small, so the application downloads everything locally, so you can access the information at any time without a live connection.
The SAS survival guide offers you the following features:
- 16 videos with valuable information on how to survive in certain situations. The videos are made by the author himself, which allows him to appreciate his skills and knowledge in this regard.
- photos that will teach you about animal tracks, knots, snakes, plants (which are good to eat and which ones are not) and more
- The SAS Survival Guide: the full-text book adapted for the mobile format and a search utility
- Survival checklists: a great help when you need to put together a bag to carry
- solar compass
- A very well done questionnaire that will test your survival skills and knowledge.
- Morse code signaling device
- First aid section – How to grant it in the best conditions.
As you can see in the description, this application is a valuable asset when you are in the desert. There are many things you need to learn in practice and it does not hurt to have a little guide with you.
The application is very popular on the two main platforms: Android and Apple and was classified as the LIFE STYLE APPLICATION number 1 in almost all geographic locations.
First aid pocket and CPR
Sometimes outdoor adventures end badly and someone is injured. There is nothing worse than wanting to help someone but not being able to because you do not have the necessary knowledge. This application offers you the possibility to obtain the necessary knowledge to help your friend on the spot. Of course, everyone should have basic basic knowledge of first aid, but when you need more information, survival applications are one step away.
The content of this application is provided by the American Heart Association and is intended to offer assistance in emergency situations.
First aid pocket and RCP offers the following characteristics:
- basic first aid information, such as how to help a person with a sprained ankle or how to repair a meat wound
- instructions on how to use an AED (if necessary)
- How to treat medical, environmental and injury emergencies.
- 34 videos showing how to perform certain first aid procedures
- 46 high resolution images describing how to proceed in emergency situations, with search function
- Instructions on how to perform CPR in adults, children and babies.
- instructions on how to save the life of a person who is choking
It’s great to have this application on your phone, even if you’re not a survivor or an outdoor enthusiast. Emergency situations related to health can appear in any environment and, if you know how to treat them, you have the advantage. A very convincing proof that this application will work in any condition, is the story of Dan Woolley of Haiti, who survived 65 hours under rubble when using it.
Actually, nobody wants to have to perform a CPR on a friend or a splint on a broken bone, but if the situation comes, and this survival application may be the only thing that can save that friend’s life. It’s worse to lose a friend because you were too stubborn to learn about first aid than to have to use the information presented by this application.
Smart compass application
Everyone who loves to go outdoors with only a backpack on their back should know the basics of orientation. You must know how to use a map and a compass and how to find out your address regardless of the surrounding environment. It is always better to have the physical compass with you (as backup), but the Smart Compass application has more functions than any physical compass ever invented. The best of all is that it has an augmented reality screen that allows it to overlap with the compass in the surrounding environment.
The other super feature of this application is the fact that it is free. We have your attention? Let’s see what other features this amazing survival app has!
The smart compass offers you the following features:
- Absolute North (feature available in the PRO version)
- View of the environment through the phone camera.
- Instructions to calibrate your phone’s sensors.
- the ability to send GPS information such as your current position or the point to which you are directed by SMS or email
- GPS speedometer (also available in the PRO version)
Smart Compass is one of the most efficient and easy-to-use survival apps available. You can use it exactly like a normal compass, but you do not have to stop and check it all the time. The compass is right in front of you and nothing affects your vision. It also has the advantage of being with you all the time.
You may forget your compass, but you will never forget your phone.
ViewRanger GPS – trails and maps
This application is very popular with survivors and outdoor adventures and for good reason. It is the GPS map application that you really want to have with you when you follow a trail. It offers full access without connection to maps, navigation and trails and complete information on the terrain in the area.
The application has stored information on more than 10,000 routes and trails and even aerial images that complete the image. More than 150 search and rescue teams in Europe and North America use this application and its free web tools. If you trust it, you must include it in your favorite survival apps.
You will not have to waste time with maps and compasses, calculating your address and reviewing it all the time. Simply choose the route you want to follow (or do it) and start. The application will allow you to see if you are out of the route or what type of terrain you are heading, valuable information when you try to maintain a certain rhythm and train your body.
ViewRanger GPS offers you the following features:
- The ability to get your GPS location mapped even without coverage, which is an important feature for outdoor adventurers. There are many open spaces where coverage is not as good or simply non-existent.
- The ability to save maps on your device for later use when you do not have coverage
- The ability to record your track to review later or share it with your friends.
- You can also see the distance you’ve traveled and at what speed
- You can create a web account on your site and keep it synchronized with your device. This helps you plan the route and share the route with your friends. Let’s say that not everyone gets on the route from the same point. You share the route with everyone and establish a common point to meet.
- The free version includes web tools such as OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap, Global map of streets and terrains, Bing aerial images, Ski map and Transport map.
- You also have the possibility to buy more advanced maps by purchasing from the application.
If you have the possibility of using a mobile device, this application is the one installed on your phone. It may take some time to get used to all the functions, but once you have managed to understand it, you will be able to appreciate it at its true value.
How to tie knots – 3D animation
Have you ever tried to learn how to make a specific knot using video tutorials? There are some tutorial videos that can help you learn, but most of them are completely frustrating and make you give up even before you start. Believe it or not, knots can save your life in an emergency situation.
Imagine you have to tie a rope to take your partner out of a ravine. If you do not know how to do it correctly, the rope could get undone in the middle of the distance between the bottom of the ravine and the edge of the ravine, and your friend may fall and suffer some serious injuries. Do you want to have that in your consciousness?
Another emergency situation where knots are extremely useful is when you try to survive on your own in the desert. You can improvise a fishing line to make a very tasty dinner, or you will need a rope to improvise shelter and traps. Anything is possible when you know the difference between a common knot and a very strong knot. Therefore we consider that this application is one of the best and important survival applications that exist.
The feature that made this application a real success among smartphone users is the way knots are presented. The producers used high definition animations to show you how to make basic knots. The application is at the beginning, since only a few basic knots have been introduced, but if you are interested, you can download it for free from the App Store and Google Play.
With this application on your phone, your paracord projects will not have to wait any longer. Fun can start right now!
Error checklist application
If you are a beginner in terms of survival and want to start your first project of error, everything can seem a little overloaded. You need to collect as many items, in so many different categories, and you should all squeeze in a backpack. Even if it seems that making an insect bag is more of a problem to pack, there are many things you must solve for yourself: what kind of food to carry and how much, how to store water in the most efficient way. Way or what kind of clothes to pack and for how long.
The bag error checklist offers the following characteristics:
- Large checklists where each item is described so you can choose the right one for you.
- Reminder and calendar where you can set alarms for when it’s time to check your bag of errors again. Some elements, such as food and water, must be replaced on a regular schedule and it is difficult to remember everything in this crazy world. The application will take care of this from you.
- You can also add items and create new lists and, of course, delete items from a list already created. It is completely editable what is very important.
- You have the possibility to create and inventory and keep track of what you already have.
This is one of the survival apps that any prepper should have on their phone, from our point of view.
Survival applications are a growing trend and each prepper has the possibility to choose the ones that suit their needs. Be sure to choose the apps that have comments and reviews to make sure you get exactly what is advertised and never pay for something you can not test first. Also, even if you have the best and most amazing survival apps on your phone, make sure you have the necessary basic knowledge.
Your phone’s battery may run out or your phone may break, but what you already know can not be forgotten. Survival apps are great helpers, but you can not completely trust them. Always carry with you the real-world equivalent of an application such as a compass and a map. These two elements should never be missing in your bag of errors, even if you have downloaded the latest Smart Compass update and have the best maps and GPS location offline.
Being prepared for an emergency situation also means being able to understand the environment and use whatever you have at hand and without appliances.