In light of the natural events of recent years, people began to analyze survival information, survival courses, survival food kits and survivors with less skepticism and more open mind. It is sad that there have been several major hurricanes, multiple tsunamis, catastrophic earthquakes and other types of natural destruction for people to understand that preparation is the answer.
We know that it is difficult to anticipate disaster when everything is calm and the sun shines, but, as a human being and head of the family, you must look forward and plan for the future, good and bad.
After realizing that Mother Nature is not always nice and quiet, many people decided to take survival courses. During this course, you learn hunting techniques, useful for when you need to hunt or fish without high-tech equipment. It’s not like you could take your last fishing gear when the tornado tries to take your head, you only have what nature offers you. This shows that people want to be prepared in case of a disaster.
Survival is a growing trend, especially among American families, as they are most affected by the ugly and dark events in the last period. The concepts and surviving ideas are spreading all over the world, which makes people aware of the possibility of a disaster.
Let’s say the worst happens, and the whole world is left in the dark. We, the human race, are back in the Stone Age (so to speak) without electricity, fuel or work. There is total chaos and anarchy. Do you think you can take your family to safety and be their protector and provider? If you do not train to resist in a world where food does not sit on a shelf, well packaged and ready to cook, you will not last a day.
It may seem a bit drastic to start saving emergency food kits in your pantry in case something happens. Why store all that extra food and let it spoil when you can find so much food in nature? Well, if there is a lesson to be learned from the action movies that describe the end of the world as we know it, it is the fact that everything can change in a matter of hours. There can be powerful solar explosions that will take us back ages, or the magnetic poles could change causing chaos and massive destruction.
We never know what and when it could happen, but it could be a global event that can completely change the natural environment. We live in a bubble where the grass is always green (so to speak) and we do not want to look beyond the fence.
If you want to be among those who can see a new Earth and build the new world in the event of a big disaster, it’s time to start stocking up.
What should your survival food kits contain?
You can find survival food kits in specialized stores, you can order them online or you can make them yourself. Regardless of which option you choose, you need to know what food categories are important for a stressful situation such as the end of the civilized world (we stretch it a little to highlight the seriousness of the situation).
The first thing to do when considering storage of emergency food kits for dark days is to find the place. You must be prepared for at least a period of three days to a week and you can not store food for three or four people in the apartment of your building. Our recommendation is to build an emergency pantry where you can stock up as you wish, but we’ll talk about this later.
Let’s see, what should be on the shelves of your pantry:
- Canned fruits and vegetables with a long shelf life (6 months to 1 year or more)
- Canned or dried meat: this variety is made to last for at least 1 year on the shelf of a store. In your pantry, with optimal conditions, it can last even longer.
- Canned soups or instant noodles that you can prepare by simply adding water.
- Fresh water and possibility to filter it.
- Nuts because they are rich in oil and very nutritious. In optimal storage conditions (little or no moisture) they will last for long periods of time without getting worse
- Cookies, another emergency food that loves dry places.
- Another food that you should consider adding to your pantry collection is pasta. Easy to prepare, rich in nutrients and delicious, it can be extremely valuable in times of need.
- Peanut butter will resist in a sealed jar for a good period of time, so be sure to add it to your list.
- Tea bags, coffee bags, fruit juice (I would not want to live without these in your life). Due to its texture and packaging, these products can last for years in a storage place without humidity.
- Spices and seasonings such as salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic and more to give a little flavor to your food.
- Sauces such as marinara, pesto, salsa and garlic can brighten up a difficult day, so be sure to put them somewhere on the shelf.
- Whole grains such as rice, quinoa, oats and couscous for when you need to eat something healthy and nutritious.
- Cereals, beans and seeds. These can be used both for eating and for planting. In case everything is destroyed, you can grow your own food using what you have stored.
- Meals already cooked canned or dried. These usually come as part of the survival food kits and have a prolonged shelf life.
The list may seem a bit long, but we try to cover all the basic needs of the human organism. Of course, if you are preparing for a hurricane or an earthquake, you do not need to store large quantities of food and you may not even need a special pantry. Even so, the place of storage is important to be dry, in a dark area and at low temperature.
Regardless of the fact that you decide to stock up for a global or local disaster, you can read about the storage solutions and the emergency pantries below.
How to store your pantry and storage solutions?
The real survivors have been preparing for years and their emergency food kits may seem very elaborate. They know how to prepare their own food in the desert and their pantry is always full and stored for at least a few months, if not for a whole year. They manage to keep their storage places clean and fresh by rotating the products periodically, so if there is no disaster, they eat the foods that are about to expire and replace them with fresh produce.
If you are not the kind of family that believes in global destruction, but still want to be prepared in case of a natural disaster (local), your emergency food kit should be stored for three full days. You must have enough food for all family members and pets (if any). Keep in mind that your survival food kits should be ready to be taken at any time, day or night. There is no time to gather, pack and prepare an emergency food kit in the moments before the forces of nature unleash.
Even when authorities issue the warning, it is too late to think about the preparation and supply. Warnings like this are followed by general madness and paranoia. In the madness of the moment, people empty shelves in stores, even if they do not need everything.
The general rule is: it’s better to have more than to have nothing, so you’ll have to be among the first in the store to get something. Survival is deeply engraved in our primordial system and closes off any other instinct like caring for others. This is why, in a catastrophic situation, you can see all kinds of abnormal behaviors. Anyway, the general idea is to prepare in advance and you will not regret it.
Returning to the storage place of the emergency food kits, it can be of two types:
- for your regular 72 hour food kits
- an emergency pantry
The first option is simple and easy to perform. You only need a place in your house where it is dry, dark and cold. You need an easily accessible place and you should have the food packed and ready to go. If you have to evacuate, you just have to grab the backpack with everything inside and that’s it.
The second solution requires more effort on your part. You need to find a place, close to your building, isolated and easily accessible. Your emergency pantry should not be in the basement or in your yard. The areas populated with buildings and other objects suffer the most from a global disaster and you may not be able to get to your pantry.
After finding the place, you need to build your pantry to be cold, dark and dry. You do not need a large place, but you need to have the optimal storage conditions. You can ask for advice and guidance from a survival specialist. After building it, add shelves and make sure you can organize the place so that everything is stored for shelf life. Put on your back products such as cereals, seeds, nuts, canned food with a long shelf life and in the front put water, juice, dried fruit, everything that is more likely to spoil.
The first rule to successfully store your emergency food is a regular checkup. At least twice a year, you should check all the products in your pantry. Only a broken product among the good can contaminate the rest.
Emergency food kits to buy
We’re still talking about survival food kits that you can buy at specialty stores or place orders online.
Now let’s describe some of the most popular in the market so you know what to look for. Exist:
- Kits with everything done for 1 person as:
- Augason Farms All-in-one storage for 30-day food storage containing 300 total servings of 1,857 calories per day and 1 bucket with 8 bags of Mylar Food. This should keep an adult for a month or a family of four for a week. There is also a gluten-free option.
- ER emergency ration bar packages: each package contains six individual servings of 410 calories ready to be consumed unprepared. The shelf life of this product is 5 years and the product is approved and certified by USCG and the US Department of Homeland Security. UU
- Emergency food kits With everything done to supply your pantry. I like it:
- The last food supply for 1 year with delicious gourmet meals that you will not have to cook or prepare. Each daily serving has around 2000 calories, which is the recommended intake for a stressful situation. The packaging is very efficient, which means a long service life.
- The survival food kits will last a few months for the whole family, also with pre-cooked meals and / or dry foods.
- Kits focused on a certain type of food. I like it:
- Canned meat pallet from Survival Cave Food: a package containing 4 types of canned meat (chicken, pork, veal and turkey)
- Combo of saving of fruits: a pack of 6 cans with different types of fruit. This particular package contains cans with banana dice, blackberries, strawberries, pineapple dices, cherries and raspberries. Given the packaging solution, these products also have a long shelf life and can be a sweet and tasty treat after a meal.
- Canned hard bread: a variety of hard bread (white wheat, rye, etc.). It is easy to keep the bread secure in this way, away from moisture and mold.
There are many brands, types and categories of emergency food kits out there. You just have to take a look at the different offers.
Once you find a store or a producer that you like, you should stay with it and start to stock up. Anyway, never buy a large amount of survival food without trying it first. Request a sample if you want to buy a one-year supply or simply buy a small kit and open it. If you and your family can eat the food at that time and only then it is safe to buy more.
DIY survival food kits – methods of home packaging
It is not very difficult to prepare your own survival food kits and it can be a fun activity for the whole family. The best thing about keeping your own survival foods is that you know with certainty what it can contain and how many nutrients it has. We all know that canned foods can sometimes be less than what is advertised on the label.
There are two main methods you can use to make your own emergency food kits:
- Canned hot water (for foods with a high acid content)
- Pressure packed (for low acid foods)
Canned hot water
This is the process in which the packaging containers are bathed in boiling water. You need a large pot where you can place several jars inside and a grid to prevent the jars from touching the bottom of the pot. The jars should be completely covered with water (the water should be about 1 inch above the lid of the jars) and the optimum temperature is 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit.
The process is simple: at the beginning, carefully place the jars in the pot and then add the warm water until covered. Put the pot in a medium or small flame and wait for the water to boil. When the water reaches the optimum temperature, remove the pot from the heat and allow the containers to cool before removing them from the water. This will hermetically seal the lids and eliminate the air trapped inside.
This process requires a special pressure pump that can be electric or non-electric and uses steam to remove the air inside the jar and kill any harmful bacteria. The bottles must withstand a temperature of 115 degrees Celsius or 240 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the optimum temperature for this type of canning. Pressure packaging is ideal for foods such as beans, meats, vegetables with low acid content and any other food with low acid content.
Regardless of the fact that you choose to buy your emergency food kits in specialty stores or do it yourself using the canning methods just described, one thing is for sure: you must be prepared with food and water! Do not let them catch you off guard for any kind of disaster.
Especially today, when survival preparation has emerged and supplies can be found almost anywhere. You saw that you can stock up for three days and can stock up in a big way for a few years. The choice is yours and it’s time to start thinking about it if you have not done it yet.
Great disasters can happen every day, in every minute. We were lucky until now, but who knows how long we’re going to get lucky?
CONSERVATION OF FOOD