Preparation for the campaign in the first place should begin with the selection of wardrobe. Here there is only one rule – clothes for a hike in the forest or mountains should be practical and comfortable, and then beautiful and stylish. The choice of tourist things is not as simple as it seems at first glance, and requires certain knowledge.
- Classification of clothing, depending on the natural location and time of year
- 1.1Winter Clothing
- 1.2Clothing for hiking in the woods in summer
- 1.3Seasonal clothes
- 2 Criteria for choosing clothes for a hike
- 3Rules of three layers
- 3.1 The first layer is the base
- 3.2Second layer – insulation
- 3.3The third layer is protective
- 4Advantages and disadvantages of specialized equipment
Classification of clothing, depending on the natural location and time of year
Fans of hiking trips do not change their hobby neither in winter nor in summer. The climatic conditions of the place where the attack is planned dictates the rules for choosing the appropriate equipment. You need to dress depending on the time of year, and also take into account the location of the natural region. All models are divided into summer, winter and off-season.
Winter clothes for a hike
The name speaks for itself. For cold, high humidity, strong wind and frost, clothing is chosen that can cope with all these natural phenomena, but at the same time does not hamper the movement of the tourist, does not force him to sweat or feel any other discomfort. There are special requirements for winter clothing. In harsh conditions, the usual, at first glance, things will help to survive and maintain health. Clothing in the forest should have the following qualities:
- a light weight;
Many manufacturers offer tourists a wide range of winter clothes for hiking in the woods and mountains. Its design and a variety of models allows you to feel not only comfortable, but also fashionable.
Clothes for hiking in the woods in summer
The equipment for the summer period is more versatile. Although this is a time of hot sunny days, but the rain has not been canceled. Clothes for summer, like winter clothes, should protect people from the weather, but not hold down their movements. When choosing things for the summer, consider the following characteristics:
- the ability to repel the sun’s rays;
- natural fabrics or quick-drying synthetics;
- quick drying;
A prerequisite – summer things for rest should protect not only from the sun, but also various insects that live in large numbers in the forest.
It includes equipment for spring and autumn. The difficulty of the choice lies in the fact that in the offseason it is difficult to guess what kind of weather nature will offer. Today the sun is shining, and tomorrow it is raining and the wind is rising. Such instability requires a careful approach to the choice of clothing for the spring-fall season. Regardless of the location in the backpack should be things open and closed type.
Remember that the forest has its own life and inhabitants. A closed T-shirt or windbreaker, long pants, better tucked into socks, will be useful in those natural areas inhabited by poisonous plants, ticks, snakes, spiders and other forest “troubles”.
An open form of clothing is suitable for places where you will not be in danger. This may be a forest glade, a mountain plain, a steppe, etc.
Criteria for choosing clothes for a hike
A shopping trip in search of tourist clothes can take a lot of time if you don’t know what to look for. There are some selection criteria that will help to quickly understand a large assortment.
- Type of fabric. Some inexperienced tourists mistakenly believe that things must necessarily be from natural formulations. This statement is not entirely true. Cotton or flax should be those that are in direct contact with the body, and outerwear is better to choose from synthetic materials. It will better protect from the weather.
- Multi-ball Weather conditions may change several times a day. In the morning, fog and high humidity are not excluded in the forest, it becomes hot for dinner, and the evening will bring cold. Given these changes, it is better to pick up a few subtle things and put them on depending on the situation, rather than buy one sweatshirt and not know what to do with it then. Three or four light things will also save, if during a campaign one set becomes dirty, it breaks, in general, it becomes useless.
- Weight. Going to the forest for a few days, keep in mind that things, food and instruments need to be taken in an appropriate amount. To burden a backpack with too heavy clothes is not worth it, because you have to carry it on your own shoulders.
- The interaction of tissues with each other. A quality jacket will not fulfill its functions in full if there is a regular home t-shirt and a wool sweater under it.
- Colour. Most people think that only dark clothing is suitable for a forest hike. It is practical and less dirty. Such properties of things are good, but not for the forest. Professional tourists know that hiking is better to wear white things, well, or light shades. It is better that they have some bright elements. They will help you find faster, in case of loss in the forest. One more plus of light shades – on them it is better visible insects, for example, a tick.
These rules that are easy to remember will help you quickly, and most importantly, to correctly understand the question of what to wear in the woods and feel comfortable and secure.
The rules of the three layers
Manufacturers of tourist wardrobe seek to pay maximum attention to the functionality of clothing. Each item has its own purpose, and their combination makes hiking uniforms with one protection complex in all situations. Conditionally clothes for the forest can be selected according to the rule of three layers:
- basic (body);
- insulating (insulation);
- external (protective).
Let us examine each of them separately.
The first layer is basic
Basic clothing has contact with the body, so it must be pleasant to the touch and correspond to the season and terrain. In the summer, this is a short or long sleeve t-shirt that has a few delighted features. In a hot time, strong sweating is not excluded, therefore, a thing adjacent to the body must absorb and drain moisture, and also dry quickly. For regions with a very hot climate, it is better to choose a synthetic shirt. This fabric does not allow ultraviolet light and you are less likely to learn sunburn.
High-quality underwear for a hike should not absorb odors. Special materials and impregnations prevent bacteria from multiplying – the root cause of the unpleasant smell of sweat. The same properties should have and thermal underwear required for the cold season.
Second layer – insulation
Things with warming are selected for a hike in the forest in autumn or winter. Unlike the first layer, the second one should not create comfort, but retain heat. This is the so-called intermediate point between the outside cold air and the warm human body. For comfortable movement, choose clothes of low weight. A regular sheepskin coat and a sweatshirt will take you halfway through, although such things are very warm. The most common material is fleece. This is a universal composition for fabric, lightweight, breathable, quickly wicking moisture. In addition to fleece, fluff or special synthetic materials can be used.
The third layer is protective
Protection from natural manifestations is probably the most important thing in clothes for relaxing in the forest. Thermal underwear and insulation will be of little use if your top jacket gets wet from the rain or is sensitive to strong gusts of wind. A quality top thing will keep the comfort created by the clothes under it. On sale you will find the “third layer” of the so-called membrane tissues. Their task is not to let the moisture in, but to give the opportunity to go outside. Also, protective equipment must be strong to break and abrasion.
Modern technologies are not standing still, and more and more companies offer tourists combined options in which one layer can perform two functions at once. For example, thermal underwear can not only perform its main task, but also serve as a heater.
Depending on the weather, three layers can be combined with each other. Thus, you adapt to current conditions and feel comfortable. Combination schemes can be different:
- hot and it rains – put on the first and third layer;
- it got colder, but it is dry – we dress the first and the second;
- cold, windy and precipitation – all layers together.
Listen to your condition and sensations. Starting from this, add or remove layers of clothing.
Advantages and disadvantages of specialized equipment
If earlier, special clothes for hiking did not differ by anything except strength and convenience, now a number of its advantages have expanded significantly. You can buy specialized equipment for hiking in the forest in specialized stores or for hunting and fishing. The advantages of such clothing include:
- a variety of models suitable for any weather conditions, as well as different in design and colors;
- multifunctionality and availability of necessary parts;
- the lining on an elastic band, preventing blowing of wind and hit of rainfall under the hem;
- comfortable fit with increased wear in places of rapid wear;
- In the main model range there are things of narrow purpose, dressing for specific situations (overalls, protective raincoats, raincoats, etc.).
The disadvantages are much less, but they are present. The first is a considerable price. High-quality clothing for hiking costs, respectively, and not every average tourist can afford it. Not all things for survival in the forest are suitable for wearing in everyday life, so if you are not going to go in for tourism regularly, think about the expediency of such an acquisition.