In general, one could be limited to simple quoting of the Federal Weapons Act:
A cold weapon is a weapon designed to hit a target with the help of a person’s muscular strength through direct contact with the target … Cold weapons do not include products certified for household and industrial use, sports equipment similar to weapons.
But absolutely everything that can be used to harm a person by means of a strike falls under this definition. Even a banal stone is “a projectile guided by the movement of the human muscular strength.” Alas, the law has not yet been able to prohibit stones, so we had to slightly expand the definitions.
Therefore, there were such concepts as throwing weapons and cold bladed weapons. Say, a leg from a stool and a randomly picked stick is not exactly what should be regulated by law. But the fact that I had to purposefully produce – very much so.
But with cold bladed weapons, everything is not clear. There is the usual cold bladed weapons, which will be discussed later. There are hunting and sporting weapons, which, despite having all the typical features, are not subject to the law. And there is also a cold steel, designed to be worn with national costumes. And it is also regulated by completely different laws.
But for the standard blade bladed weapons there are clearly defined criteria. At the moment, the knife is considered a cold weapon if it has the following parameters:
- Blade length – more than 90 mm.
- Blade butt thickness – from 2.6 to 6 mm.
- Blade hardness – more than 42 units on the HRC scale.
- The presence of a finger limiter or the depth of the subfinger grooves, if any, is at least 4 mm each.
- Sharpened blade.
Officially, a knife is considered a full-fledged cold weapon only if it matches all five items on the list. What opens up a lot of room for maneuver. And such knives may well be used for self-defense.
However, if there is at least one sign, they may already be interested. Especially interesting is the last point – about the “sharpened”. According to GOST, a knife is considered to be sharpened, which 6 times without problems, chipping and chipping cuts off a birch branch about 12 mm thick. But this is according to GOST, which must also be checked. And so, they can cling to the wording: “cutting paper – it means sharp.”
On the contrary, according to GOST, the following knives cannot be considered a cold bladed weapon:
- Knife without a tip. It is either rounded, or performs the functions of a screwdriver or something similar. Impossible thrust – not cold weapons.
- The knife, the edge of which is located 5 mm above the butt. This tool is also extremely difficult to apply direct stabbing.
- Knife with a butt deflection of more than 5 mm. The derivative of the last item. It is believed that such knives are not suitable for direct stabbing.
- The blade is 5 mm lower than the butt with a length of up to 180 cm, and 10 mm with more than 180 cm. Again, the displacement of the center line makes it difficult to strike stabs.
- If less than 1/3 of the point is a hook for ripping up the skin. Pure hunting weapon, yes.
- Blade length less than 90 mm.
- The tangent to the tip of the blade and the line of the butt form an angle of more than 70°
- Knives with a handle that does not provide retention when the injection.
- Knives with a handle less than 70 mm. Yeah, butt knives are not considered cold arms.
And a number of signs. If it is simplified to summarize, then any knife that cannot be prickled properly is not a cold blade weapon. No matter how well they can chop – a machete, for example, on most of these items do not pass. Paradoxically, but yes. From the point of view of the law, machete is an economic household tool. True, I don’t think that the staff of the internal organs will like it if you are waving this tool on the street. And even demonstrate it. And even with the presence of help. It may well confiscate – for examination. According to the results, of course, nothing will happen to you, but not the fact that the instrument will be returned. And if, of course, it will be a real examination, and there will be no urgent need to “increase the detectability” or an order from above “to do like this.”
Therefore, it is better to protect yourself from unnecessary fuss and attention, and choose a more “peace-loving” knife for wearing in the city. And to leave more serious specimens for trips to nature and in general where there are fewer people =)