An integral part of a camping trip, winter fishing or hunting is cooking or warming up food. For many objective reasons, sometimes it is not possible to make a fire. In this case, gas burners have proven themselves well, but with all the advantages, they have drawbacks: throughout the journey, you need to carry a burner weighing about a kilogram, and at least two cylinders, weighing an average of 250 grams. If the trip is long, you will need more cylinders. In addition, these travel devices are not cheap. A field-type alcohol burner is well suited to replace gas: it weighs very little, the amount of alcohol necessary for its operation can even be transported on an airplane, and you can do it yourself. In addition, homemade alcohol burner is always useful in everyday life.
- Alcohol burner from the can
- 2Alcoholic Beer Can Torch
- 3 Homemade alcohol burner: features
Alcohol burner from the can
The principle of operation of the alcohol burner is the combustion of the fuel vapor.
The alcohol burner is made of the can as follows:
- You will need two cans of canned food, coffee, etc., a piece of glass wool and fuel. Tin cans should be well washed and dried. Then they need to be cut in half, put a piece of glass wool on the bottom of one of them. It is necessary to make a stub so that the wool does not crumble, put it on top of it.
- Holes are made in the bottom of the second can, put on top of the first. They should fit snugly together, there should be no gaps around the edges.
- In the circle of the top can with an awl, you need to make holes with a diameter of 2 mm with a distance of 8 mm between them and 1.5 cm from the edge of the can. Holes better to make such a form that the metal was slightly bent upward. There should be from 16 to 26 such holes.
- With the help of a syringe and a tube put on its nose, alcohol is poured inwards so that the glass wool or other material is soaked with it (you can put ordinary pumice stone).
- Ignition is carried out as follows: an alcohol burner with its hands heats up from below, where the fuel is located, so that it begins to evaporate. After that, the lighter is brought to the holes on the top, a pair of alcohol begins to burn.
Alcohol should be used at least 96% as a fuel, it can be replaced with salicylic acid, streptocide. As practice shows, the intensity and duration of burning a spirit lamp depends on the type of fuel. The most intense burning shows fuel from alcohol, and streptocid and salicylic acid are less intense, but the duration of burning is longer than that of alcohol. You cannot use gasoline as a fuel because of the risk of an explosion. Kerosene is also not suitable due to the lack of wick. As a material for alcohol impregnation is better to use materials from natural fibers.
Beer can burner
Numerous videos contain detailed instructions on how to make an alcohol burner from aluminum cans from beer or soda water.
To make an alcohol burner from beer cans, you need to do the following:
- Take two aluminum cans, mark with a marker and a wooden bar the cutting line (about 3-4 cm from the bottom), cut.
- One cut off part is tightly inserted into the other.
- In the center of the top can make a hole with an awl for refueling. Close the filler hole with a bolt. Instead, you can use the coin. This item is even better: with overheating and high pressure, it will simply jump, releasing too much so that the bank does not explode.
- Throughout the entire circle of the bank, a quantity of about 16 pieces is pierced with holes with an equal distance between them.
- Alcohol of 25-50 ml is poured into the filler hole, the hole is closed. You can put cotton wool on the bottom, as described in the case of cans.
- The spirit lamp is placed on a metal base (a metal cover can be used), on which a certain amount of alcohol is poured, ignited.
- After 20-40 seconds, the burner warms up, flames start to emerge from the holes.
Homemade alcohol burner: features
Alcohol burner with his own hands is of two types: open and closed. The methods for manufacturing the second type are described above. Open differs from closed in that it does not have a top cover, and the fuel is ignited without preheating. Minus open spirit lamp: high fuel consumption. Minus closed burner: slow heating, side flames can be blown away by the wind, care must be taken when handling to avoid tipping.
For its intended use, you will need to make a stand for dishes. This is easily accomplished with conventional wire. A stand for the boiler and other utensils is necessary in the winter season, when cold dishes can extinguish the burner. If the burner without a stand is made of aluminum, it will effectively heat only aluminum dishes.