Self-defense is one of the vital skills needed to survive in our current world. Some people take martial arts lessons that give them an advantage in close quarter combat, while others prefer to buy small personal weapons to deter danger from a distance. Small guns that can be hidden are light, lethal and effective, so it is important for gun owners to have the best hidden covers as part of their armory.
A holster is a body accessory that is used to carry small firearms in a concealed manner while ensuring that the gun is safe and accessible.
The case also covers the firing mechanism of a gun to prevent accidental discharges and protects the general aesthetics of the gun preventing scratch wear. Finding the best hidden covers to carry often means testing various types, brands and / or materials.
Why use hidden covers?
There are many possible reasons why you should buy and carry a firearm, but for hidden cases.
There are only a few reasons why you should use them.
- Concealment – The main reason to buy a hidden cover is to hide your guns from prying eyes but not from the law. Most places provide special licenses to carry concealed weapons; sometimes they include a provision in their permission to carry licenses for hidden carriers. A true hidden cover would not only visibly conceal the firearm, but also prevent the cover from “printing” itself through the cloth (or clothing) that hides it.
- Access – It will not be useful to carry a concealed weapon if you can not access it quickly once you need it. The hidden transport cover will give you access to your firearm in a short period of time, regardless of whether it comes from a dive with dolphins, rolling on the ground to avoid shooting or any other compromised position. The holster should also be able to give you a consistent steal and not just allow you to pull the gun just for the sake of pulling it out.
- Security – A concealed transport cover should be able to hold the gun safely while performing your daily activities, especially if you have an active lifestyle and, on occasion, would have to run after someone with your firearm. The case must also be able to prevent accidental discharges by protecting the trigger so it does not accidentally fire. Admit it; Sometimes we forget to turn on the security button.
Types of hidden covers to carry
One of the most common hidden cases in the market. We often see that this guy is used by police officers both in real life and in real life. But unlike movies, this type of concealed cover is uncomfortable for most gun owners, although most have it as part of their collection.
The shoulder covers are like a climbing harness that surrounds the back and is secured in the chest area.
The straps are adjustable according to the level of comfort of the user, while the sleeve of the gun is located near the armpit on one side, while the other side has provisions for magazine clips. Shoulder bags are often classified as horizontal transport or vertical transport, the latter being the best use for large guns, while the former is better for small or normal size weapons.
The disadvantages include:
- However, one of the disadvantages of using the shoulder cover is that you should wear a jacket with the front part open to hide it.
- Comfort – The shoulder covers provide straps that go around the shoulders and around the chest area that are adjustable, but these straps do not prevent the gun and accessories from moving around, especially if you are running. This would also prevent you from pulling out your weapon faster while on the move.
- Drawing speed: Since the shoulder covers are worn under a jacket, this makes it very difficult to draw. Of course, the difference is only a few seconds, but those simple seconds can mean life and death.
A cross between a belt pouch and a gun holster. This type of concealed carry case offers little in terms of concealment, but boasts a wide variety of utility pockets in which you can store other items. Generally worn around the waist, this case / bag has several advantages, including ease of access, suitable for any weather; No unusual strap that touches your body can cause allergies or abrasions and most importantly, you can keep things on hand when you need it.
However, it has its share of disadvantages:
- Comfort: backpacks provide little comfort while sitting, lying down and driving. The weapon will push you where you do not want to and you’ll end up having to adjust the bag several times to get the right comfort you want. Fanny packages do not go with everything. You can not, and should not, wear it over formal clothes.
- Concealment: Experienced weapon buffs can discover it by what is a mile away. Thieves can also confuse you with money instead of a gun and can order it before your wallet.
- Access: Backpacks often require both hands to draw the weapon and this drastically reduces the drawing speed.
This type of concealed transport case is better for smaller backup weapons. An ankle sleeve is worn around the ankles under the pant leg and uses an extra strap to secure the sleeve in place. You can choose to use the sleeve on the outside of the leg, since placing it on the inside will probably cause some problems and restrict movement.
The use of an ankle cover has several disadvantages: the main sleeve for the gun:
- Comfort: depending on where you place it, the ankle covers restrict movement and its location prevents you from running while you take out your weapon; You will have to make a stop and take it out. Having your gun strapped to your leg also means that, sooner or later, it will trip you up, make running with it a little uncomfortable and take time to get used to.
- Access: given that the cover is very low, you will have to make an effort to get to it and the extra time it takes can mean a life or more.
- Safety: A good ankle cover would have an extra strap that wraps around the calf, just below the knees, to provide additional support and retention.
Belly band cover
This type of concealed carry case is almost the same as the backpack, with the exception that it has no utility pockets and is made of elastic material and secured with Velcro strips. The term abdominal band may imply that it can only be worn around the wait, but can actually be worn around the hips or chest, or diagonally, from the shoulder to the waist.
The disadvantages of this type of cover include:
- Material: the elastic material tends to curl up like a strip of bacon in a hot pan, but is mainly due to wear.
- Comfort: there will always be a strange feeling, especially on wet days and concentrated sweat inside the strap, which makes you want to eliminate it completely. However, manufacturers are now developing a tissue that will be colder for the skin and can decrease irritation.
- Access: The belly band holster is designed to keep the gun close to the body and provides a high level of concealment, which provides poor access, as you would have to rip the clothes to get to it.
- Re-holstering – since the fabric used for belly bands is elastic, re-holstering a gun can take some time and can be difficult to do with just one hand.
As with the name, this concealed carry case has the shape of a pancake with belt slots located on the left and right side so you can pass the belt. The original design has three slots so you can choose the drawing angle.
The disadvantages of the pancake covers are:
- Concealment: the protuberance or impression created by the sheath is noticeable from a distance. Although the original intention of this design is to bring the weapon closer to the body, some users with slim body types find it uncomfortable to use the pancake cover, while heavier users find the pancake cover more to their liking.
- Comfort: to remove the hidden transport cover, you must remove the belt and slide everything through it to remove it and then repeat the process when replacing it. Bearing this in mind, some manufacturers are looking at the pressure belt loops and others to avoid this cumbersome inconvenience.
This type of concealed carry case is almost similar to the pancake case in terms of appearance that often get confused with each other. The covers of the pallets are hidden, they carry covers that have a paddle accessory that slides inside the pants and is fastened by a belt that surrounds the waist. The main point of sale of the pallet covers is its fast on and off function; you just have to slide it in and out of your pants to remove it.
The disadvantages include:
- Concealment: most pallet cases on the market are larger than most pancake cases, which reduces the chances of the gun being hidden.
- Security: given that the safety of the weapon depends on the friction between the case and its belt, this does not leave the user any other choice than to wear pants with belts.
- Comfort: while you take a gun out of the shovel cover while you run it is pretty cool and very easy, it can be uncomfortable at times, especially if it is placed incorrectly.
A convenient option, often overlooked, hidden covers, this case does not require an additional garment to hide it. This case is made for smaller firearms and has no straps or any other accessory to tie it to a person. You just have to put the gun inside the case and then put it inside your pocket. The trouser pockets help maintain stability and, depending on the fit, will also provide additional security and prevent the gun from being pushed around. Being in your pants, the pocket sleeve provides easy access and faster drawing speed than most.
Like other types of cases, pocket cases have their share of disadvantages:
- Concealment: Smaller and thinner guns are perfect for pocket cases, but larger ones will increase the chances of detection due to the bulky effect.
- Re-holstering: taking a gun out of your pocket is quite easy, especially if the case has a feature that prevents you from taking it out with the gun, this has a disadvantage, since you will have to remove the case to put the gun back.
Inside the waist or IWB cases.
This type of concealed carrying case goes around your waist, between your pants and your body with the pistol grip protruding from your pants.
IWBs often have clips that can be placed on pants or on a belt for extra security.
One of the main advantages of IWBs is their ability to hide a weapon. Many IWB ads often show men standing with only the clip shown without a noticeable bulge or impression.
IWBs may be one of the best hidden covers that exist in the market, but they have their share of disadvantages:
- Comfort – Most users, even those who prefer IWBs, report uncomfortably, especially when grips touch them. Prolonged use can also make you feel uncomfortable, especially if the materials used are rigid and inflexible.
- Clothing: If you decide to buy an IWB, you should make sure you have pants that are larger, at least one inch, to make sure you do not feel uncomfortable wearing them.
Choose your hidden cover
Along with the reasons to buy a concealed transport case, there are some factors to keep in mind when choosing the best hidden transport case for you.
- materials – The hidden covers to carry are often made of these three materials:
- Leather: this is the traditional material used for hidden covers and remains one of the best options that exist. It can adjust to the shape of your body given the time and use. This type of material is a bit expensive, since exposure to moisture can greatly affect its aesthetics and strength, but other than that, hidden leather cases are a solid investment.
- Synthetics: they are usually made of rigid synthetic compounds such as nylon and plastic. The ballistic nylon covers are not so expensive and offer a universal fit for everyone. The nylon covers can withstand the weather and humidity better than leather, but its drawback is the need to replace them before, as it will take more than leather.
- Comfort – the best concealed hand sleeve connects you and your firearm in a way that is not seen from another person’s point of view, and yet it is comfortable enough for you to know that it is there and that you are safe no matter what.
- The dissipation – How much hidden do you want your weapon to be? Each type of pistol cover has its own levels of slavery: one is better than another and vice versa.
- Retention – One of the main purposes of a gun holster is its ability to secure and retain a gun. Weapon retention can be defined as the levels at which another person can take your weapon. The types of concealed transport covers listed above have a multitude of possible combinations with respect to retention. The types of retention are listed here:
- Top open: this does not offer any retention. Most pocket cases and belly band covers have this.
- Breaking the thumb: the thumb break covers the trigger mechanism with a strap that can be removed with a click using a button or clip. Most types of hidden cases have this type of retention.
- Retaining screw – This type provides the best retention since an adjustable screw is involved. However, this affects the speed of drawing and the ease of access to the weapon.
- Outside of the body vs. in the body – The different types of covers listed above can be classified in these two. Pocket covers, pancake covers, IWBs, pallet covers, shoulder covers, belly bands and ankle covers are supports for the body. The advantage of the covers that fall into this category is the ease of access, since they are on your person at all times. Out-of-body cases include backpacks, as well as other types of purses and purses that generally allow your weapon to be with you but not on you. Most out-of-body systems will allow you to dress as you want without compromising style and safety.
Plastic covers, such as Kydex, are lightweight and more durable than other materials, but their high quality plastic is also inconvenient, as it does not conform to the shape of the body and has an uncomfortable feeling during extensive use.
These factors often go against when you choose the best hidden covers for you, but like buying a car, it is a trial and error process. Sometimes you have to sacrifice one or two to make the most of the rest. Remember, it is about achieving a solid tranquility by carrying a hidden weapon. If you feel that your hidden transport cover will impede access or make you feel uncomfortable, look for something that does. Owning a weapon is a great responsibility and, on a smaller scale, it is also a great responsibility to carry the best concealed cover available.
WEAPONS AND ARMS