The days when people used to go to nature with little or no technology, having in mind to escape from the comfort of the modern world and return to a more primitive state, have left us behind. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, since a GPS can keep you from getting lost, and a good smartphone app can tell you what mushrooms you should not eat. Unfortunately, most smartphones do not have long-lasting batteries, but choosing the best solar phone charger you can afford can solve that problem for you.
In this article, we will tell you all about solar cell chargers, how to choose the best models on the market, the advantages and disadvantages involved, to help you decide which solar charger you need for your walk.
Devices powered by solar energy are, in fact, among modern technological revolutions. But if you are thinking about buying a solar charger, you need to know the technical concepts and the science behind them, so you can be prepared to operate them. Not to mention that you can buy a device that suits your needs according to its wattage and amperage.
The watt is used in physics to measure the electrical power, being the result of the multiplication of the electrical voltage (called voltage) and the electrical intensity (called current and measurement in amperes). That said, if you have an older phone model that does not require a lot of power to charge it, you can get a 5-watt charger. On the other hand, if you have a smartphone, iPad, tablet or some type of device that consumes energy, then you need a 10-15 watt solar charger.
The chargers with 15 to 25 watts of electric power are an excellent option if you are not alone in your walk and some other people will also use it. It is also an excellent addition to your camp list if you have more devices that you need to work on during your camping trip.
If you only plan to use this marvel of solar technology to charge your phone, you do not need to choose a more expensive and complicated model with more than 25 watts, which may require an additional battery and inverter, as it is useful for people who want to charge your laptops or air conditioning systems.
However, you should not go to the other extreme and get low wattage chargers because they are less expensive. They can do the job, but they take much longer: 4-5 hours with a 5-watt charger, compared to 2 hours with a 10-watt charger.
But since smartphones are becoming more popular and most hikers own this type of phone, the best solar phone chargers have a high power. They also have batteries that make your device absorb energy at a lower intensity rate (fewer amps).
As a result, you should also be very careful when reading all the details. There is a lack of regulations regarding proper writing, and sometimes it can become really confusing.
So, let’s say that you are watching the power output. You want to choose a solar charger that can charge your smartphone and your friend’s less modern phone. For a smartphone, you need to get a device that has at least a 2.1-amp USB port, while for your friend’s phone you can easily have a 1-amp USB port.
And this is where it gets difficult. Some brands declare that their product has an output power of 2.1 amperes, in reference to the total amperage allowed by your device. In contrast, others mean that each port or at least one port can support that maximum amperage, but you can use both simultaneously.
Therefore, the first device can only charge one device at a time at 2.1 amps, but the second can be used to charge both your smartphone and your friend’s phone at the same time.
Pros and cons of solar chargers
Solar chargers use the sun’s energy to charge your phone. That is why the advantages and disadvantages of solar energy can also be transferred to the devices that use it.
- Excellent in emergency situations. If you are too far from a power source and need to charge your phone really fast, so you can keep in touch with your family at home or use your hiking app to monitor your trip, then you need your smartphone to work.
- Solar energy is free. That means that using your charger can be a great addition for home use. Your electricity bills will be lower and you will have your smartphone running at full speed.
- Sunny weather. If you go on a trip to a place full of sun and daylight, you can be sure to make the most of the energy the sun can provide to charge your phone. Your charger will do the job quickly and you will enjoy the benefits of modern technology on your camping trip.
- Cloudy weather. If you go to a nice place, but with less sun or in a station with less natural light, then you should reconsider acquiring a solar charger. In fact, this device can help you charge your phone, but instead of hiking and exploring, you will have to wait longer for your phone to charge. Therefore, in this situation, it is advisable to obtain a charger that has a higher power in watts, to make sure that your phone charges faster and you can enjoy your trip.
- Some chargers can not cope with the needs of your phone. That is why you need to make sure you have double checked the amperage and wattage on the device you decided to buy, so that you can meet the energy needs of your phone. This is also unpleasant if more than one person has to use the charger, as it may prolong their waiting time.
- Some devices do not fully charge your phone. In this case, you probably have to use the charger several times a day, or simply make amends with the fact that during your trip, your phone will no longer be charged to the maximum.
Types of phone chargers
There are a lot of phone chargers in the market, and you can choose between them if you consider the time you will spend on your hiking trip;
How many devices need to be powered by your charger and if you are going to go to a sunny place.
- Integrated battery – Ideal for a short trip, no more than a weekend getaway. It can not load more than 2 devices and works better in a place with sunbeams.
- Foldable panel and battery. – It’s good for some days of camping in the desert, you can charge some people’s phones, but it helps if you go somewhere sunny.
- CIGS – This is a flexible panel that can keep it for many days, being quite affordable and lightweight, but not very durable. However, they are quite good at cloudy weather with less sunlight.
- Monocrystalline – This is the traditional type of solar panel, built to last. However, it does not fold and you can see it as a disadvantage if you are only going to go for a few days. However, most monocrystalline chargers have an improved design and their rigidity is no longer so inconvenient. They are not very efficient in cloudy weather like the CIGS.
- Polycrystalline – Since these panels are made of multiple silicon crystals, they are not as efficient as monocrystals, made of a single crystal that can make electrons move faster and consume less energy for that. However, these panels are excellent if you want to save money and use them very often.
How to choose a good solar charger
The best solar phone chargers on the market have these characteristics:
- Integrated batteries – The built-in batteries are excellent if you want to leave the camp and not worry about constantly adjusting your phone. In addition, the battery is also a good addition in emergency situations, when it is absolutely necessary to make a phone call.
- Automatic restart technology – this feature allows your loader to restart automatically if your activity was interrupted by the brief passage of a cloud. Otherwise, you would have to unplug and re-plug a device that lacks this capacity, which can be considered quite tedious, not to mention that it is not appropriate, if the cloudy moment is lost.
- Easy configuration – The best panels do not require much time and energy to be set up, and they do not have a ridiculous amount of requirements regarding where they should be placed. Some lower quality chargers may even be impressed if it’s too windy, and that’s not the kind of device you would want for a long trip in bad weather.
- Light – Make sure you can transport your solar charger easily, but do not sacrifice quality for this function. As such, you can choose a CIGS panel if you want something less heavy.
- Adaptability – The best products on the market allow you not only to charge your phone, but also other devices. They have one or two USB ports with different amperages to connect your mobile accessories so you can be more efficient and charge everything you need simultaneously.
Reviews of solar chargers
That said, now we’ll take a look at some of the best options available for people who want to get the best solar chargers for their phones.
Goal Zero 42020 Venture 30 Solar recharge kit
This is an excellent article, courtesy of Goal Zero Company, one of the best names in the market. With a retail price of $ 169.95, you will get a number of important benefits from this product.
First, it has a built-in micro USB tip that is specifically designed to prevent tangling, and can be used for all types of phones and tablets. It provides an efficient charge in full sun in four hours, since it has a built-in solar charge tip.
However, the best thing about this model is that it is waterproof, so even if you let it fall in a puddle or if you leave it out in the rain, you can be sure it can still work properly. Also, trusting that you can use it when it rains is a great advantage for campers who camp when the weather is bad.
Due to its technical characteristics, you can use it to feed 2 phones at once, which is an important detail to consider if you are camping with more people. In addition to this, it is not big at all at 10.9 x 10.3 x 6.5 inches and 2 pounds, which makes it perfect for your concerns with luggage.
Do you like this product? Then you can buy it on Amazon.
Instapark Mercury 10M18U with battery
This solar panel is one of the best models on the market, as it is manufactured by a reliable brand such as Instapark. With only $ 64.90, you can be sure that you will have an efficient solar charger, which can fit very well in your backpack, as it has a collapsible design. In addition to this, it measures only 9x6x2 inches and weighs less than 0.9 lb, which may give you an idea of how light it is.
When it comes to your technical specifications, the Instapark solar charger has a 10 watt electrical power and a built-in dual USB charging port. In addition to this, you will not need additional batteries to charge other devices. That means that it is a product that respects the environment, leaves no carbon footprint.
Another advantage is that you will also receive a 1 year warranty along with your purchase, so you can make sure that, if something happens to you, you can replace it or repair it for free.
If you think that this product could be useful for you, you can buy it here.
Solar charger SUAOKI 20W
This $ 52.99 item from SUAOKI is one of the best rated products on the market, probably because it is a high wattage monocrystalline panel, which can charge your phone very fast. In addition to this, its intelligent technology allows the charger to tell you exactly what type of device it has plugged in, to charge it more efficiently.
It has a double USB port, so you can connect 2 devices simultaneously, not to mention its portability: with the benefit of a triple fold design and a weight of only 22 ounces, this device can be easily transported inside your backpack. You can also use its 4 carabiner hooks to place it outside your backpack, to charge your phone while walking.
If you think that this product could be useful for you, then you can buy it at Amazon.
Foldable solar panel with double port Anker 14W
An Anker product, this solar charger offers you at a retail price of $ 45.99 the advantages of being economical, easy to use, durable, simple and powerful. In fact, the Anker brand itself represents a great advantage through its reliability and its immense community, since more than 10 million people worldwide choose products manufactured by Anker.
This particular item has a fast charging technology, called PowerIQ. In direct sunlight, this will provide a current of 2.1 amps, while the electrical power is 15 watts, which makes the efficiency of this panel is in the range of 21.5 to 23.5%. In addition, you will have the advantage of charging 2 phones at the same time.
The craftsmanship provides more clues about the durability of this charger. As such, it is made of a high strength industrial PET polymer that is stitched into a tough polyester canvas. That means that this solar panel is very resistant and can last increasing amounts of time outside.
Another advantage is related to its portability and light weight, since it can be folded into a package of 11 x 6 x 0.7 that weighs only 12.5 oz.
Do you like this amazing product? Then you can check its price on Amazon.
Solar charger RAVPower 15W
For sale with $ 49.99, this solar panel is one of the most efficient products on the market. It is a fast charge panel, high wattage and high amperage, which will give you the advantage of a high conversion solar charging technology. That’s extremely useful when it comes to keeping your device charged with solar energy, and if you’re hiking with another person, you can both use it simultaneously.
The iSmart technology used by this great RAVPower product is available for both USB ports, and is good at detecting exactly how much current each device needs in direct sunlight. As such, each port can deliver a current of 2A each, or a total of 3A.
In addition, the stainless steel design of its holes and hooks is very good so you can easily place it in your backpack, your tent or a tree. So you can use it even when you’re walking in the sun, not just when you’re in a camp. In addition, it can be folded and is waterproof and mold resistant so you can rely on its durability.
With 10.1x1x7.6 inches and a weight of 1.6 pounds, this charger is a bit bulky, but it is still not too heavy to carry in your backpack. You also get the benefits of an 18-month replacement warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your choice.
If you think this product might be useful to you, then you can check its price on Amazon.
The portable solar charger for Sunferno phone
This Sunferno solar charger can be used to charge 2 phones at the same time, and you can use it to charge most devices 3 times. That’s because it’s one of the elements that a solar panel and a battery provide.
The battery needs 5 to 7 hours to be charged through a wall outlet or USB, and can be safely recharged 1000 times.
However, the battery works better than the 1.2 watt monocrystalline solar panel, which means it’s perfect for trips that do not take a lot of time. You can even use it in an emergency, but you should not rely on it for long trips that require your devices to always be fully charged. Note that this Sunferno product costs only $ 29.99.
Apart from this, the smart charging technology you use can indicate which device has been connected and then use this information to load it more efficiently. In addition, it has a dual-port USB installed and is compatible with most USB devices, such as: iPhone, Android mobile phones, iPad, tablets, kindle, GPS, camera, Bluetooth.
Since it has a dual USB port, you can load 2 of the previous items at the same time.
Do you like this product? Then you can check its price here.
Mobile Charger Powertraveller Solarmonkey Adventurer
This somewhat expensive $ 118.99 solar charger has a 5V USB port output, which makes it less than perfect for long trips, and it can also take a long time to charge your smartphone.
Although it is not so fast, it is quite reliable because it works correctly and has no faults. As such, it has solar panels with the Maximum Power Point Tracker technology that can charge its own battery as well as other devices in 8-12 hours, even if it is not sunny, as well as an internal 3500 mAh battery that is compatible with solar energy. . If you want to know when your phone is charging, this article can show you that, courtesy of its 4-color LED.
This charger is manufactured with strong materials, and in 6.7 and # 215; 3.8 and # 215; 0.9 inches and 9.3 ounces, you can securely attach it to your backpack to charge your phone while you walk.
Do you like this product? Then you can check its price on Amazon.
Consequently, there are many options available to everyone, depending on what you need and how you plan to use a solar charger. It’s easy to get confused with the multitude of devices at your disposal, so be sure to read all the details and consider all your requirements before purchasing a new item, so you do not have to run out of your phone for long.
Apart from this, you can also combine a solar charger with an external battery that charges in your home, especially if you are not sure how the weather is going to be. With an external battery, you can charge your phone between 4 and 5 times, with a lower amperage and you can even use it in the dark.
Also, it is not a very heavy addition to your backpack, nor is it expensive at all. The solar charger can benefit you along with it if you are going to be absent for a prolonged period of time, and can keep the battery charged only in emergency situations. Most backpackers usually opt for this combination due to all the advantages that it entails.