Grouse meat can be called exotic. It is almost impossible to find on store shelves. Therefore, not everyone knows how to cook wood grouse. After all, the process of cooking an exotic bird is significantly different from the same chicken.
- The taste of meat
- 2How to prepare a carcass
- Ready for use in the field
- 4Ready at home
- 4.1In the whole oven
- 4.2In the multicooker
The taste of meat
Grouse meat is nutritious and high-calorie, it can hardly be called dietary. It contains a large amount of vitamins and minerals that positively affect the cells of the brain and spinal cord, accelerating protein synthesis, improving skin condition and the work of the entire digestive system.
Grouse meat is very juicy, but harsh. With proper preparation has a pleasant and delicate flavor. The meat of the wood grouse is dark, which distinguishes it from other birds. He also has one more peculiarity – the taste qualities change depending on the season in which the prey was caught.
Grouse autumn meat is the most delicate and tasty, with a strong taste of lingonberries. In its preparation there is no need to use additional sauces or additives. The taste of meat was affected by the food of the wood-grouse. In summer and autumn, he mainly eats his favorite berry delicacies.
The meat of the spring capercaillie has a taste of needles with a slight bitterness. After all, throughout the winter he has to eat conifer needles. In order not to spoil such rare prey and achieve good taste, it is important to know how to properly prepare the grouse carcass.
How to prepare a carcass
Before cooking the capercaillie, it is necessary to correct the taste and eliminate the rigidity of the meat. Immediately after extraction, the carcass should be hung in a cool place for a few days over the head. Gutting and plucking game is not necessary. Meat for these days will be a little softer and richer. After that, the bird should be plucked, gutted and divided into several parts. You can immediately start cooking autumn capercaillie, but the spring should be processed in a special way.
To eliminate the bitterness and coniferous taste, it is recommended to marinate the carcass for 2 days before cooking.
To do this, you can use water by adding a small amount of vinegar to it, occasionally adding red wine. To give the original flavor tinge soak the meat can be in the cranberry juice.
Exotic poultry can be cooked both at home and in the field. It is necessary when cooking to take into account that the capercaillie has no fat deposits, so after cooking it becomes a bit dry.
Cooking in the field
Hunters rarely get wood grouses. But if such luck falls out, then not everyone can enjoy the tasty meat. After all, how to cook wood grouse, without existing conditions for soaking and pickling a bird, few people know.
Calorie baked capercaillie – 277 kcal.
Cooking time (with marinating) – 16 hours.
- Whole wood grouse whole – 1 pc.
- Apples – 2 pcs.
- Bulb onions – 1 pc.
- Potatoes – 2 pcs.
- Mayonnaise – 150 gr.
- Pork lard – 300 gr.
- Breadcrumbs – 2 tbsp.
- Sugar – 1 tsp.
- Mustard – 1 tbsp.
- Spice for meat – to taste.
- Wood grouse pluck. Gut all the entrails of a bird. Cut off the head, wings and feet.
- Soak the carcass in a saline solution for about 10 hours in a cool room. You can use berry juice (cranberries, blueberries) to add flavor.
- Cut potatoes and apples into small cubes.
- Onion cut into half rings.
- Mix vegetables and add sugar, pepper and salt.
- Stuff the wood grouse with the mixture.
- Mix mustard with mayonnaise. Well smear obtained sauce prepared capercaillie.
- Add spices to the breadcrumbs and sprinkle with meat.
- Put the carcass on a thick foil for baking, put thinly sliced pieces of lard next to the meat.
- Wrap grouse in foil and put on a deep pan.
- Place the bird in the oven. Cook for 5 hours at a temperature of 170-190 degrees.
- Every 20 minutes, the meat must be turned over and watered with the resulting juice. You can add some water to the pan.
- Half an hour before readiness to remove the foil so that the meat slightly browned.
As a garnish, you can serve spaghetti, boiled potatoes and vegetable salads to the grilled grouse in the oven.
In the multicooker
The slow cooker is actively used in almost every home. Grouse meat can be cooked well in this miracle of technology.
Calorie baked capercaillie – 254 kcal.
Cooking time – 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Grouse carcass – 1 pc.
- Lingonberry – 3 tbsp.
- Onions – 3 pcs.
- Pork lard – 300 gr.
- Flour – 2 tbsp.
- Sunflower oil – 100 gr.
- Salt and spices to taste.
- Pinch and gut the bird.
- Cut off the legs, wings and neck. They will need to be used for cooking broth. At the end of cooking, which should add chopped onions.
- Cut the carcass into 6 pieces and fill them with lard.
- Salt and pepper the meat and fry in a skillet with the addition of sunflower oil.
- Place the already roasted capercaillie into the slow cooker and pour in the previously prepared broth from offal.
- Turn on the multicooker on the extinguishing mode.
- Cooking grouse should be about 1 hour. 35 minutes after the start of preparation, add the cranberries with flour diluted in water. Mix everything and cook for another 25 minutes.
An excellent side dish for cooked wood grouse in a slow cooker is potatoes, boiled buckwheat and rice.
Despite the exotic nature of the capercaillie, it can be tasty cooked both in the field and at home. The main thing is to soak it and cook it, strictly following the recipe. It is recommended to use wood-grouse on the day of cooking, it is at this time that you can experience the full taste of meat.