The hunter’s vest is an integral part of the ammunition of almost any adherent of one of the most ancient men’s occupations. Such popularity of this attribute of hunting is explained by its versatility, a wide variety of types and models (from a simple cartridge belt to a tactical unloading jacket), and the possibility of independent production. It is about these points that we will discuss in this article.
- Hunting Vest Functions
- 2Types of hunting vests
- 2.1 Classic hunter vest with cartridge belt
- 2.2 Unloading vest for hunting
- 2.3 Vest for spearfishing
- 3How to make a unloading vest with your own hands
- 4A review of popular models
- 4.1Novatex “Hunter”
- 4.2XCH “Rover”
- 4.3 “Umka M33”
- 4.4 Hunter’s Vest # 2
- 4.5 Hunter’s Vest № 3
Hunting Vest Functions
The main functions of the hunting vest are:
- Convenient and reliable placement and carrying everything you need in the process of hunting – cartridges, walkie-talkie, knife and other small things compactly fit into numerous pockets and compartments on the vest.
- Recoil mitigation when shooting – with the help of a layer of soft material sewn into the body of the butt into the body (“cushion”) when fired, the recoil force is significantly reduced.
- Disguise – a variety of colors of vests adapted to a specific season can make the hunter as inconspicuous as possible.
- Protection from cold, rain — thanks to the waterproof fabric of the top, warm (for the winter of autumn and early spring) or mesh (for the summer) laying, the hunter’s vest protects its wearer from such adverse weather conditions as cold autumn rain, the bitter January frost, and the July heat.
- Uniform position of the ballast for diving – this feature is typical for vests used by lovers of spearfishing.
Types of hunting vests
Jackets used by hunters are divided into classic and unloading ones according to the presence and location of pockets, compartments for cartridges. A separate type are the vests used by lovers of spearfishing.
Classic Hunter’s Vest with Bandolier
This species is a simple hunter’s vest with a comfortable open cartridge belt or several chest pockets. Allows you to place the maximum number of rounds, make quick reloading gun.
Unloading vest for hunting
The hunter’s unloading vest, unlike the traditional one, has more pockets and compartments, allowing to place in them not only cartridges, but also other necessary things – a walkie-talkie, a knife, decoys for waterfowl, documents, mobile phone, car keys. Also, compared to the classic look, these discharge vests have a more secure attachment on the body, a durable and reliable material from which they are made.
Due to its spaciousness, the unloading vest for hunting compared to the classical one completely eliminates the need to pack all the attributes of hunting in a shoulder backpack or bag.
This makes this look more convenient and preferable for purchase.
Underwater Hunting Vest
Such a vest, unlike the ones described above, does not have a large number of pockets and compartments. Its main function is the placement of lead lead weights necessary for diving to a certain depth in the pockets on the chest and back.
Such vests are made of dense materials with minimal buoyancy. A very small number of straps and braces on these vests – this is done in order to exclude their hook on the branches, snags and other underwater objects.
In the event of a life threatening situation for a hunter, such vests have very convenient fasteners, with the help of which you can easily dump this ammunition along with the load and quickly float to the surface.
Tip! In addition to special hunting models, tactical unloading is suitable for conveniently carrying cartridges and other things necessary for hunting – although it does not have special compartments for hunting cartridges, it is, as a rule, better quality. You can buy it in stores selling accessories for fans of airsoft.
How to make a unloading vest do it yourself
If it is not possible to purchase such ammunition in the store, you can easily and with minimal investment make a unloading vest with your own hands.
For sewing will need materials such as:
- Dense waterproof fabric – raincoat fabric or any synthetics;
- Lining material – mesh, cotton fabric (for summer), sheepskin or various types of insulation (for winter);
- Reliable lock;
- Velcro and fasteners for flap pockets;
- Strong kapron thread.
The following tools are also required for sewing:
- Sewing machine;
- A set of needles;
- Tailors shears;
- A piece of chalk.
The process of making a simple homemade hunting vest consists of such operations as:
- Girth, waist chest, length of the future product, armhole, shoulder length are measured. Girth measurements are recorded in half size, length – in full.
- On the basis of measurements, patterns are made on paper (the front part of the vest covers the left and right parts of the chest) and the back (dorsal part);
- Also at the same time making patterns under the pockets and compartments;
- The patterns are chalked onto the fabric of the top and the gaskets, while patterns are outlined on the gasket fabric with a margin of 1-2 cm;
- On the patterns of fabric cut out the parts of the vest – back, shelves, pockets, lining;
- To shelves are taken pockets, two parts of the lock;
- Shelves swept away with the back;
- Primary fitting is performed – if a vest, dressed in the clothes with which it is planned to wear it, sits tightly and does not cause inconvenience, then it can be sewn on a typewriter with any reliable stitch;
- A gasket is sewn to the vest.
The self-unloading vest hand-sewn is universal, since in its manufacture the owner himself decides how many pockets of compartments and what sizes he needs.
Browse popular models
In this review, we consider the 5 most popular and inexpensive models of hunting vests today.
Hunter’s Vest № 2
Hunter’s Vest № 2
Hunter’s Vest № 3
When choosing this ammunition it is very important to remember about such an important moment in the hunt as masking. So, the vest unloading black color is better suited for the night time; colors like “Forest”, Oak “and khaki will mask the hunter in the deciduous forest; Camouflage camouflage will make its owner unobtrusive in the high coastal thickets of sedge when hunting for waterfowl.