Leaders for the feeder are an integral part of the equipment, which they protect when biting large fish or in the case of hooks. However, since the leash is always extremely close to the fish, it must be not only durable, but also invisible, so as not to frighten the catch. Therefore, in its manufacture it is extremely important to study all the features of its structure and operation.
- Purpose and Specifications
- 2 Ways and methods of fastening the leash
- 2.2 Gardner Loop
- 2.3 Symmetrical loop
- 2.4 Asymmetric loop
- 2.5 Helicopter and two nodes
- 2.6Simple inline
- 2.7Inline with tap
- 2.8Mounting with a safe clip for carp fishing
- 3 Basic rules for determining the length of the leash
- 4Role of the material of which the leash is made
- 5How to make a leash yourself
- 5.1 Tools and materials
Purpose and Specifications
In the feeder equipment a leash is one of the main elements. It is he who connects the line with a hook. At the same time, the leash itself is a piece of fishing thread of a small size.
Use of the lead is necessary for such purposes:
- Protecting the equipment of the feeder rod from accidental damage in the form of hooks, cliffs, wear and snacking of fishing line with predatory fish species;
- Additional masking hook. The leash has a small diameter and color to match the water, which makes it imperceptible;
- Creation of natural movement of bait in the water. It is achieved due to the invisibility of the leash and its size, allowing the bait to move freely in the place of fishing;
- The ability to quickly change the hook.
Despite the simplicity of the design, the leashes have a large number of technical characteristics, according to which the product is usually chosen for the feeder. These include:
- Breaking load. This is the nominal force applied to a 1 cm filament, which causes the leash to break. The value is usually indicated on the factory package of leads in libra (lb), or kilograms (kg). Typically, the threads, depending on their thickness and flexibility, are able to withstand loads in the range of 2.5-15 lb (1.2-6.8 kg). For self-made leads, this value is calculated experimentally.
- Flexibility of the thread. The parameter directly affects the camouflage qualities of the leash and the lure of small and medium sizes. For large lures, this indicator does not play a special role.
- Colour. The leash may have a different color. The tone of the product used is always selected under the reservoir.
- Length of the product. The value is very important when casting bait for long distances, as well as in the case of the bait of large fish. This parameter can vary between 10-60 cm. In some cases, when feeder fishing for roach is planned, the length of the leash can reach 1 m.
- The diameter of the cut of the leash. The indicator is calculated in inches (“) or in millimeters (mm). The diameter of the product affects the performance of its breaking load. Moreover, the greater the thickness of the leash, the less naturally the lure moves and the product itself becomes more visible. However, thin leashes with a large stealth have a minimum breaking load. Typically, the diameter of the product is 0,004-0,011 ”(0,102-0,279 mm). Most often, for fishing in still water, leads are used with a diameter of 0.12 mm, and in rivers 0.14-0.16 mm.
When selecting the diameter of the leash it is necessary to take into account the size of the hook. The following combinations are optimal:
- 0.08 mm with number 20;
- 0.1 mm with No. 18;
- 0.12 mm with no. 16;
- 0.14 mm with No. 14;
- 0.16 mm with No. 12;
- 0.18 mm with number 10.
When assembling gear, attention should be paid to the thickness of the fishing line. So for float plug gear, with a deaf fastener, differences in the thickness of the thread of the main line and the leash can be 0.02 mm. When staffing a fly rod, differences in thickness can be 0.1 mm. For rods equipped with a coil, this difference can be much larger.
Ways and methods of fastening the leash
Mount the leash on the feeder gear can be done in various ways:
- Paternoster, or deaf equipment;
- Gardner loop;
- Symmetric loop;
- Asymmetrical loop;
- Helicopter and two nodes;
- Simple inline;
- Inline with tap;
- Assembly with a safe clip for carp fishing.
Each fisherman chooses the method of mounting the product independently, according to his convenience. Most often this is a paternoster and a gartner loop.
The connection of the feeder and the leash is made with the help of knots or special carbines with swivels. It is worth knowing that the use of carbines makes the product more mobile. The method involves the creation of a fork on the main line.
For mounting the leash at the end of the main line a loop is made about 10 cm in size. It is tied in a knot in 3-4 turns and cut in the middle. In this case, a feeding trough is attached to one part of the branching, being tied to a knot, and to another – a leash. A small loop is made for the leash.
The method involves the installation of feeders and leash without the use of separate nodes. At the same time the feeding trough is fixed on the main fishing line by passing a separate cross-thread through it and its ear.
The loop for attaching the leash is knitted at the end of the main line. If desired, you can install a separate carbine on it.
Installation refers to the most sensitive. When using it, the main thread transfers even the most cautious bites to the squirrel, while the fish do not feel resistance when eating the feeder.
The trough with this mount is not fixed and can move freely within certain limits. For mounting the lead loop is done at the end of the main line. But before that, two restrictive beads are put on the thread. A feeding trough will be installed between them, with the help of a carbine.
This method is highly sensitive to the transfer of bites on the quivertip. However, it should be used only when the length of the leash does not exceed 40 cm. Otherwise, the risk of tangling gear increases significantly.
The asymmetrical loop for the subsequent fastening of the rigging, is made of rigid fishing line and consists of two parts: twist with a loop for fastening the hook, and the loop itself. For its production part of the fishing line folds in half, and at a distance of 2 cm from the middle, a loop is made under the hook. Twisting the line at the eyelet of the hook, a twisted tap is made, about 10 cm long. At its end a double knot is tightened. For the remaining line clings to the feeder with a carbine.
Helicopter and two knots
This method of installation involves the installation of a loop under the leash on the main line above the feeder. To install the device under the bait at the end of the thread is looped or hung carbine. And 10-20 cm above it, two restrictive beads are placed. Between them a leash is attached with a carbine.
The main thread is conducted through the body of the feeder. Its movement is limited to springs or retaining rings. Under the leash is a loop at the end of the fishing line. Mount the leash is carried out by installing a carabiner, or by mounting the loop in the loop.
Inline with tap
This method of fasteners combines the Gartner method and a symmetrical loop. Unlike a simple inline, a separate branch made of thick fishing thread is set at the end of the main line. Its length can be 5-10 cm.
Assembly with a safe clip for carp fishing
Since the carp can seriously damage the rigging, as well as drag the feeder with it, a special safety clip is installed to catch it on the main line, below which the leash is placed. If necessary, the clip can be easily unfastened, causing minimal harm to the fish.
Such a clip provides poor sensitivity, however, since the carp bite is always strong, this factor is not significant.
Basic rules for determining the length of the leash
The length of the leash for feeder gear directly depends on the rod, the estimated size and type of future production, as well as the distance to which the casting will be carried out. To determine the required length of the leash, there are several simple rules and manipulations:
- Fishing is recommended to take a set of products of different lengths.
- Fishing begins with the use of a leash with an average length of 30-50 cm.
- A change in length to a larger or smaller side is made in 10 cm steps.
- Reducing the length of the leash is carried out in the case when the fish is actively removing the bait from the hook, while the quiver type does not give a signal. Also, the reason for reducing the length is the deep ingestion of fish hook.
- Increasing the size of the product is necessary when there is a large number of idle bites or gathering fish.
The average length of the lead for catching a feeder fishing rod is 30-50 cm. At the same time, the size of a carp is 20-30 cm, and for roach it is 1 m or more. For catching carp fish in their habitats in large quantities, the size of the product can be 80-120 cm.
When fishing with two leashes at the same time, the distance between them must be at least 80 cm.
The role of the material from which the leash is made
When choosing a finished leash, or making it independently, the material is very important. Its quality and characteristics provide invisibility of the leash, its strength and elasticity. When creating them, the following materials are used:
- Titanium thread. The material is high strength and resistant to various types of damage, including snacks. But at the same time, the thread may break during a strong jerk, catching on snags. The material is noticeable in the water and has a high cost.
- Tungsten. The material is soft and flexible, which ensures the naturalness of the behavior of the bait in the water. However, products made of it are characterized by their fragility, they are quickly wiped at the attachment points and can be very twisted.
- Steel. String leashes. It has excellent strength and is not prone to tangling. However, this material is clearly visible in the water and does not allow you to create a sense of the natural movement of the bait.
- Wicker steel. It is a set of intertwined small steel rods coated with a special sheath. The material is often used to create homemade leashes for pike fishing. Products from it differ in flexibility and fast wear.
- Fluorocarbon. With a thread diameter of more than 0.35 mm, it becomes noticeable in water. Products from such material are wear-resistant and quickly immersed in water. The material does not lose its qualities when changing the temperature mode of its use. Their use is justified when catching shy fish of small and medium sizes.
- Nylon. Products from this material are durable and tough. Leads are often twisted and highly susceptible to corrosion.
From which material it is better to acquire or manufacture a leash, depends on the capabilities and needs of the fisherman. Products made of fluorocarbon are considered to be good, affordable, and at the same time, universal leashes.
How to make a leash yourself
For the manufacture of leads for the feeder do not need expensive materials or special skills. In the process of work, it is only important to prepare in a timely manner suitable tools and materials for this class, as well as follow clear instructions.
Tools and materials
The main tool needed in the manufacture of leashes is a sharp knife or scissors. Also, if you plan to install carbines or limiters, you may need small pliers and the consumables themselves.
The main working tool for creating leads on the feeder is a fishing line or braided steel. In any case, the thickness of the material used should be less than the diameter of the main fishing thread.
Before manufacture it is worth preparing and suitable hooks.
There is a fairly simple and reliable way to make a universal leash for a mono-tail feeder:
- On one side of a piece of fishing line of suitable length, a small loop is made. To fix it, the G-8 knot is tied.
- On the other hand, a suitable hook is attached to the fishing line. A fishing line, folded in a circle with a diameter of 9 cm, is applied to the base of the hook. Press the fishing line tightly to the hook, folding it in half.
- Middle and index fingers slightly pushed into the loop. In this case, one of them must hold the thread, and the other wind the base of the hook with a fishing line. It is best to make around the hook 10 turns.
- Holding the thread in this position, its end is taken with his teeth and tightly tightened. It is important to hold the main part of the monofilament.
- The resulting unit is moistened with water and further tightened.
With this method of hook attachment, its eye will not be activated. This allows you to protect the thread from chafing, as well as use any fishing line and hooks.
For the convenience of subsequent installation of the leash, the figure-eight knot should also be on the main line of the rod. Their connection occurs by the method of “loop in the loop.” Installation of the product will be much easier when using special connectors for the feed leash.
Features of operation
For long-term and successful operation of products, they must be properly stored and maintained. So after fishing the product should be rinsed under running water, dry carefully and lubricate with petroleum jelly or lube. This will protect the device from corrosive processes.
Store products must be in accordance with the following rules:
- Keep in a dry place.
- During storage, they should lie flat and not be deformed.
- Leads made of the same material can be placed together. The proximity to other materials is possible if there are separators between them.
Leads can be kept in special leashes made of wood or plastic. In the process of using twisted products, you must immediately carefully unravel and align.