When hiking, camping, mountain biking or enjoying any other outdoor activity, one of the most important concerns is water. As you walk through the desert with nothing but nature to keep you company, you may be tempted to enjoy a drink from a nearby stream. The water looks so fresh that it is hard to resist.
However, before doing so, you should remember that it is not always a good idea. There are several impurities that could be lurking within that mass of water that flows and, taking only a sip, you could do more harm than good.
While you can drag gallons of water, the alternative is much easier on your back. Continue reading this LifeStraw Personal Water Filter Review for more information about the product, how it works, and what to expect.
What is LifeStraw?
This innovative device has changed the way we manage our water needs when we are outside and far from civilization. While it could have started as a single product, the name has become a range of products that includes both compact, family and even community options.
The personal filtering system was designed with the outdoors enthusiast in mind. With this handy device, you can enjoy clean water without having to take it with you.
Several products in the range were distributed in emergency situations such as the 2010 earthquake in Haiti, the floods in Pakistan the same year and the floods in Thailand in 2011, to name a few.
While some have criticized the price, the company is committed to providing safe drinking water to a child from a developing community for a full school year.
How does it work?
The tube measures approximately 9.25 inches in length and has a diameter of approximately one inch. The durable plastic exterior has a rope attached to make it easy to transport. The user simply needs to place one end directly into the water source and drink from the other end, like a normal straw.
The first version used iodine as a method to kill bacteria. However, since 2012, they opted for an option without chemical products. The product now uses a mechanical filtration system, so that when you suck the straw, the water is forced through the hollow fibers. The pores of these fibers are microfine at less than 0.2 in diameter, which makes this a microfiltration device. Bacteria, dirt and parasites get trapped in the fibers when clean water reaches your lips. In simple terms, while you drink, the straw filters the liquid.
You can enjoy a full liter in just 8 minutes, and a single unit can purify 1,000 liters of water. At a rate of 2.7 liters per day, it means that it will last a whole year before it needs to be replaced. There are no replaceable parts. The product will have to be replaced completely.
What are the advantages?
There are several ways in which this device can be useful, and there are also several benefits to choosing this high-tech straw instead of other options.
- It is really easy to use.
- It does not contain chemical products.
- There are no moving parts, which means they are very durable.
- They are portable, and you can take them wherever you go.
- They are light at only 57 grams.
- Each product comes with a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty.
- It can filter 1,000 liters of water.
- Eliminates 99.99% of bacteria transmitted by water.
- Eliminates 99.9% of parasites transmitted by water (protozoa).
- The technology used in these devices has received several awards, among them Time’s Invention of the Year (2005), the Well-Tech Innovation Technology Award (2006), the Saatchi and Saatchi Award for World Changing Ideas (2008) and the “Gadgets for disaster areas” (2011).
- It is very affordable. Especially when you take into account the many benefits.
All revisions must take the positive and the negative. There are some drawbacks that should be taken into account when buying and using this device.
- The device can not remove viruses (unless you use the family version), so you would still like to be careful when selecting your water source.
- The device can not remove salt or heavy chemicals.
- It is not practical to filter the cooking water. It’s essentially a straw, and you need to suck the water.
- It is not practical to filter the water you intend to bottle and store. It would literally take forever to vacuum the water and then transfer it to a bottle.
- It is suitable only for one person (unless you invest in the family version).
- It does not help if you do not have water nearby.
- Many agree that the water they drink through LifeStraw does not taste as good as bottled water. This really depends on the source of the water.
- If you regularly drink particularly cloudy water, it is likely to clog faster than if you drink clear water.
In comparison with the advantages listed above, these disadvantages are minimal.
When you think of all the benefits, all of them packed into a small, highly portable device, many will agree that it’s worth it.
Important tips to remember
When using LifeStraw, it is important to take into account some guidelines for the user in order to obtain as much as possible of this product.
- When you use it for the first time, or when it is empty, you will need to suck it several times to make it work. Once you have the water flowing, it will be much easier.
- If, for some reason, you feel that it is blocked, simply blow back a little and then continue drinking. When the water is particularly dirty, you may have to do this several times because it could get clogged.
- Once you have finished drinking, remove the device from the water source and blow a little to eliminate it completely. If you do not want it to drip after using it, you can shake it slightly. If you travel outdoors in colder conditions, make sure that the straw is as dry as possible after use. If the water stays inside and freezes, it could cause damage.
- If you want to keep your clothes from getting wet, drink where the surrounding terrain is rocky instead of lying on the ground or grass.
- You can even pick up some water in a cup, bottle or other container and then use LifeStraw to drink.
- Note that there is an expiration date on the product. This is normally three years from the date of its manufacture.
What happens with the larger versions?
There are a number of different systems to choose from. The personal and original option is the most compact of all and the lightest too. It is perfect for those who love to spend time outdoors and for anyone who likes to be prepared or something, including an end-of-the-world type scenario.
The company also launched a “Go” version that addresses the problem of being able to transport water with you. This is great, whether you want to enjoy a slow drink as you go, or if you want to bring a bottle of water in case you do not find more rivers, lakes or streams. It is somewhat more expensive than the original version but it may be worth it.
There are two familiar versions. The one is capable of filtering up to 18,000 liters and is perfect for camping. It is light, portable and practical. This system can provide water to five people for up to three years. The second version is capable of filtering up to 30,000 liters, which means that it can provide five people with clean drinking water for up to five years.
There is even a community product that, as the name suggests, is suitable for large groups of people. It can filter up to 100,000 liters of water, making it as perfect for emergency situations as after disasters or in areas where water has been compromised.
There are literally dozens of other wonderful reviews on the Internet along with video demonstrations. Customers agree that this product has helped keep their packages lighter, drinking water safer and the overall experience has been an easy pleasure. These products are available through various sources, and many of them offer additional incentives, such as making donations to several communities in need and environmental projects.
Buy LifeStraw Filter on Amazon
This is a great product to have in your emergency pack, hiking package, camping supplies, etc. The affordability of this product means that each member of the family can easily have their own. It is also worth remembering that the amount you pay is small considering the fact that the product is under warranty for a whole year!