The well-known whip has a different name – wolf. The origin of this name is associated with the appointment of this weapon for hunting wolves and foxes. Hunting was carried out on horseback, which determined the length of the wolf, i.e. whips, – about one meter. The impact part of the whip is made weighted, and the handle is stiff. Making a whip with your own hands is not difficult, so you can make this ancient military weapon, based on video and practical recommendations.
- Soiling your own hands: types
- 3How to weave a whip with your own hands
- 4 Donkey do it yourself
Soiling your own hands: types
For the manufacture of the handle of the whips traditionally used solid varieties of wood – beech, oak, ash, acacia. The material must be durable, but light. From modern materials such textolite, ebonite can be used, but not light alloys of metals. For the manufacture of the scourge is recommended to use natural rawhide. It needs to be soaked before weaving in ordinary water – the process of weaving will be much easier, and after drying the skin, the whip will become stronger.
To determine the correct size of the lash, you need to stretch out your hand in front of you, and rotate the whip in a vertical position: it should not reach the face of the person rotating it.
The shape of the slap (leather pouch at the end of the shock part of the whip, in which the load is placed to enhance the impact) should be trapezoidal, this is the most convenient form. It is best not to make a slap solid, but leave a place for lacing. This is necessary in order to be able to remove the weight from the pocket. For cargo, it is recommended to use a piece of lead the size of a bullet of 5.45 mm caliber or directly a bullet from a hunting rifle.
In order for the handle not to turn out to be too thick, before braiding it is necessary to reduce its diameter by such a value that is equal to the thickness of the strips of leather used for braiding.
For the modern version of the hardened, you can use a metal holder with bearings, worn on the handle. The hole at the end of the rod through which the ring passes is sealed. Fastened the ring to the lash through the carabiner.
How to weave a whip with your own hands
Kuban whip is traditionally woven from rawhide beef skin. The flap was divided into four bands, tapering downwards. Whip weaving began with a pen, where horse hair or a wooden stick was inserted. Gradually, the hair or wand was wrapped around with strips of skin, and a loop was made at the base (strap). Further the shock part of whips was woven, where horsehair was also inserted. At the end of the whip a special leather pocket was made, where a bullet or other heavy load was placed. The handle is often decorated with fringe or other decorations.
In modern conditions, not everyone can get horse hair, so there are many ways to make a Kuban whip with your own hands. Here is one of them:
- For the foundation, a nylon cord 80 cm long and 10 mm thick is taken, as well as an aluminum tube with a diameter of 12 mm.
- The tube is wrapped with a kapron cord, one end is inserted into it at about a depth of 10 cm. Each layer is applied with waxing, so that the whip is waterproof.
- Further, strips of leather are cut, this can be done with the help of an ordinary clerical knife. For it to be enough, for a whip length of 80 cm will need 1.5 m of skin.
- The strips are cut in such a way that each of them narrows down to 1 mm below 25 cm from the beginning. Stripes should be 8 pieces.
- With the help of a trimmer, each and stripes must be processed.
- The strips are screwed to the sub-base so that, at first, those that go from left to right are screwed in, and then the opposite. The end is fastened with thread.
- After this, the direct weaving begins: the two right and the two left are intertwined with the front side of the chess; the next ones will go behind. Weaving scheme can be viewed on the photo.
- Where the slap knot is located, a thickening is made.
- The tip of the handle is sealed with a piece of leather, and a fringe is made on it.
- Lanyard can be removable or non-removable.
In more detail, how the Cossack whip itself is braided, you can see on the video.
Don solder with his own hands
The process of how to weave the Don whip is slightly different from the manufacture of the Kuban in that the whips have a different design. For the handle, you will need a thin wooden stalk 30-40 cm long. Similar to the manufacture of Kuban whip, leather strips are cut with a narrowing downwards. As the core, you can use the same skin as for the braid, only two bands are taken, twisted around its axis to give a round cross section and elasticity. A small weight is added to the slap, it is braided inside. At the end opposite the slap, a leather fringe is attached. When the slap and the main part are woven, you can begin to attach the latch to the handle. This lock can serve as a normal ring from a bunch of keys, only it should be large in diameter. Next, the handle is made: a hole is drilled in the center of the stick, in which leather strips are fastened, covered with a tight thread on top. Weaving the handle is carried out in a similar way as in the manufacture of Kuban whip. The hole is closed with a piece of leather, attached to the lash with a ring-clip. Arapnik ready.