Women, so fond of wearing exquisite and warm fur coats, little understand the hunting of fur-bearing animals. What can I say, modern men and those not all share this passion. However, there are still those who, with great pleasure, go to the forest jungle, track for days along which paths the beast often walks, spends nights at the fire in the company of the same hunters, sets a trap for a marten, column, weasel or other fur-bearing animal allowed to be caught, and then proudly shows mined game. On the many years of experience of these people and based information, tips and interesting facts, which will be described below.
- The marten is stable but tricky
- 2We are preparing for the season
- 3Capcans on martial paths
- 4 The right trap is an art
- 5 DIY Marten Trap
- 6What is a kulemka and what are its advantages
- 7 How to make a pot – step by step instructions
- 8 Trap – loop
- 9Hunting with dogs
The marten is stable but tricky
The marten hunting season opens in late autumn and lasts until the spring thaw. At other times, it is almost useless to catch a marten. The fur for which it is so famous, during all the warm seasons of the year is no good because of the molt and only in the winter it grows to its full length, it becomes even, beautiful and brilliant and acquires its own considerable value.
The animal itself is nocturnal, sleeping during the day in bird nests or hollows of trees in which squirrels have recently lived. By the way, it is squirrels, small birds and forest rodents that make up the main ration of the marten. It will not even pass by the gaping frog, cheerfully snails with pleasure and will destroy the bird’s nest with prey.
Ten-claws with tenacious claws allow the marten to move easily and quickly both on the ground and in the trees. A running body, narrow face and long fluffy tail allow it to move rapidly and catch a brisk and sly marten is not so easy. Therefore, the best way to hunt is setting traps, traps and snares.
We are preparing for the season
In order for the hunt to be productive it is necessary to begin preparing for it in advance. Explore the area where the trap will be set to marten, and not one, but several, is still at the beginning of autumn. To put them at random, just in a convenient place for you – this is a completely wrong tactic. The marten goes by usual paths, and it is not difficult to calculate these paths even for a not very experienced tracker. But that’s not all. There is a route, how the animal moves from one chosen place to another, and there are those places where the marten rests, feeds, or simply looks around. Finding such a place and setting a trap near – almost guaranteed success. And if even for some time left a bait on it, then almost one hundred percent.
As bait you can use:
- Bird carcass with singed wings.
- Sprinkled with fish oil, stewed carcasses of small animals.
- Liquid from musk and urine of other animals.
- Valerian drops and essential anise oils act on martens like cats do.
Having found the bait left in the same place several times, the animal will return in the hope of eating more here.
Traps on the trails
And then November came, the frosts were already closely engaged in preparing the forest for the winter, and perhaps the snow cover had already been established in some places. The long-awaited time has set for setting traps and traps for marten. Traps are used zero and the first number, rarely the second. Preparing them too will not be superfluous. Remove all odorous grease, boil it in the broth of forest herbs, and it is better to store it in the off-season by wrapping it with grass or fir-tree branches. These precautions will remove the metallic and chemical odor, which marten takes into account per kilometer and exactly along the same radius will bypass the dangerous place. There are two types of traps:
- Framework. On a round or rectangular base stretched a piece of canvas or several strings that converge to the gatehouse. In two racks located on the non-working side of the frame, special holes are drilled into which arcs are inserted. A wooden or metal gatehouse is attached so that it is equally spaced from the racks. It triggers a trap at the expense of steel springs, when a small animal, attracted by the bait, steps on a piece of canvas or touches one of the strings.
- Plate. Unlike the previous version, here the mechanism is based on a metal strip with upturned ends. At both curved ends there are holes for the arcs, which are triggered at the required time by means of springs. In the center is fixed another transverse steel strip. At its opposite end imposed tongue gatehouse. At the moment when the animal tries to take the bait, the plate moves, the guards fall and the trap closes.
No matter what type of trap you choose, you must secure it in place with a chain, or a cable. The marten is not a big animal, but it is quite capable of dragging your not attached trap by several tens of meters. And this may end up with the fact that you will not find a trophy and lose the trap.
The right trap is an art
Agree that no hunter will sit near the wary trap and wait until it catches the animal. First of all, the presence of a person, no matter how disguised, will scare away even the most imprudent game. Secondly, it is also necessary to put other traps. And in this case, the question arises, how to protect marten that has fallen into a trap from the teeth of other predators?
Therefore, traps for marten are placed mainly on natural elevations and on trees, turning them with a spring in the direction opposite to that from which the animal is expected to appear. Ideal delivery is considered in the case when the marten remains suspended in the air at a height of 1-1.5 meters.
The trap for the marten do it yourself
Recently, in hunting stores the choice of traps has decreased significantly, due to the laws that limit this type of fishing for the beast. Yes, and spend quite a lot of money on the purchase of traps is also not profitable, if there is an opportunity and suitable materials to make a trap at home. And if for the manufacture of steel traps, the skills of not only a joiner, but also a welder are required, then it is quite accessible for everyone to assemble a trap of the type “Kulemki”.
What is the chicken and what are its advantages
Describe the principle of this homemade trap easier. It is exactly the same as in a conventional mousetrap, only in the making it is necessary to rely not on a small mouse, but on a marten-sized animal. On the sides and on top of the mechanism is closed with wooden walls. This was done to ensure that the trap does not fall asleep with snow and that the birds do not peck bait.
We have already listed half of the advantages of this trap, but it is worth summing up:
- Does not depend on the weather.
- Birds will not be able to peck a bait.
- The bait is spent much more economically than in other traps, which does not affect the number of captured animals.
- Made from natural materials, will last more than one season and does not require annual processing and repair.
- The so-called empty gaps almost does not happen due to the fact that the animal dies instantly and is unable to resist.
How to make a kulemku – step by step instructions
In order to make this rather primitive, but very catchy marten trap, we will need:
- 4 boards measuring 10 by 30 cm each.
- Steel wire 3-4 mm in diameter.
As you can see the set of materials and tools is not large and not at all complicated. Further actions are as follows:
- Three boards using screws fastened into the box without a lid.
- Mark the cover as follows:
- The central hole with a diameter of 3 cm closer to the rear end.
- Two at the front edge of the board almost at the sides with a diameter of 1 cm.
- Two very small on the sides of the central hole in line with the two side.
- From the wire we bend the crush and insert it into the front holes.
- The ends of the wire are bent in the form of a spring, and inserted into small holes on the sides of the central one, with rings up.
- Wire clips are inserted into these rings, which will fix the hook and the guard.
- Set the hook and hook on the brackets.
- Equip the top board set on the trap.
Before you install the hook in the center hole is recommended to make a longitudinal groove. This will eliminate the possibility of idle draws. Well, the whole trap is better to paint some protective color. This will be a disguise, and protect the boards from the weather.
Trap – loop
Another available and common type of marten trap. If in time of a hunt or a usual campaign you found a trail or a place for lying, make a loop with improvised tools. A regular belt, a piece of rope, and soft wire will do. Such a trap works as follows. The animal, falling into the trap with its head or paw, feels that something is holding it, begins to twitch, thereby tightening the loop even more.
Hunting with dogs
This method, though more gambling, is pursued live – but also the most inaccessible. Not everyone has a well-trained dog who can not only independently pursue the beast, no matter how far away he is from the owner, but also track its movement through the trees. Basically, in the hunt for martens without a trap, they use the huskies, which are able to distinguish on which of the trails the trail is the freshest and determine the resting places of martens.
Commercial hunting for martens, as already noted at the beginning of the article, has practically disappeared. Now more and more bred fur animals in special nurseries. But to go into the forest and put a few traps and traps – it’s not just mining meat and fur. This is a hobby, a passion that allows you to touch nature, to be away from the bustling and dusty city, with all its concerns and problems.