Assuming that everyone knows what is paracord, today we are going to talk about paracord knots and how to use them to make amazing and lasting paracord projects. Learning about the different types of paracord knots can be transformed into a hobby and you can even include your friends in this. You can really take advantage of your hobby, since many outdoor adventurers (and not just them) love having as many paracord products as possible.
There is an infinite number of projects that you can start and it will be a fun and productive way to spend your free time. You have the opportunity to learn a lot about survival equipment (many paracord projects are made to be used overseas) and you can also earn extra money.
In addition to learning all kinds of things, you can meet new and interesting people. You can also develop a series of very useful skills that will be useful in different moments of life. To satisfy your curiosity, here are some of the skills you can develop by learning paracord knots and doing paracord projects:
- Working with your hands
- Hand-eye coordination
- Attention to details
- You learn that everything needs practice to make it perfect.
- You also learn that patience is a virtue.
- If you are clumsy, you will see a definite improvement in this area.
Why use paracord?
Because it is resistant, cheap and because it is very useful when you need that extra rope in the middle of nowhere. You did not know? Paracord projects are usually made to easily unravel. This way you gain a few extra feet of cable to fix something or tie something or make a trap.
You never know when the need arises, so it’s better to be prepared. There are some paracord projects that are very useful for outdoor men like bracelets, belts, bags and knife handles. Of course, there are many more things you can do using a paracord and a certain knitting technique (we are talking about the knots here).
Paracord is a cheap and amazing multifunction tool that you can use anywhere, from your home to the top of the highest mountain. Many people skip the paracord to buy more expensive cables, such as bungee and ratchet straps. It is true, they have their use but add an extra weight to your backpack. Also, you can not use them the way you can use paracord. Paracord is much more than friendship bracelets and pretty laces. It is a versatile cable that can get you out of a lot of trouble and costs much less than another type of cord on the market.
The paracord knots are those that give power to the cable. A good knot means that it is easy and quick to tie and untie. The paracord should be easy to weave and even easier to unravel. If you’ve never dealt with knots and braids before, then you have no idea how many different types of knots and braid styles exist. Let’s talk about some paracord techniques and knots you can start with, but first, let’s see what are the most common mistakes when you start knitting.
Common mistakes made by beginners.
Every beginner in every area of interest makes mistakes. This is absolutely normal, so do not frown. We just have to learn from them and move on. When you start weaving Paracord for the first time, it is very likely that you will make the majority of these errors:
- Finishing with the wrong type of knot. Each paracord project usually ends with a knot to keep it in place. If you want to unravel the paracord, simply untie this knot. Most beginners end up with the simple knot, which is the most common type of knot and everyone knows how to do it. Unfortunately, this type of knot makes a paracord object look unprofessional.
Also, it is not as secure as the cord knot that looks good and keeps everything in place. Let’s talk about it in the next chapter of this article. Therefore, it is okay to use the simple knot from the beginning, but after a while you need to learn to make more difficult knots to finish the project.
- Melting the ends too much.. To prevent the paracord from falling apart after cutting it, you must melt the ends. If you are new to this, you can use too much heat and set the paracord on fire. You will get used to melting the ends in a more elegant way in time, but in the first projects try to use a butane torch lighter and try not to set fire to the paracord.
- Not getting the correct length necessary. It is difficult to approach the correct paracord length when you are a beginner. You will have too much or too little. Either way, it’s going to be frustrating. When you do not have enough to finish your project, you will really make you want to kick someone in the face, but over time, you will learn to approach more accurately.
- Melt two ends together in the wrong way. When you want to be creative and make a multi-colored project, you must learn to make the fusion between colors in the right way. When you melt the two pieces together, you must press the fusion place with your fingers. Otherwise, the nylon hardens and will end up with a rough part that will damage your skin every time you touch it.
- You buy paracord in small quantities. If you are serious about Paracord, then stock up. It is much cheaper to buy paracord at massive prices and the advantage is that when creativity hits you, the paracord is already there.
- You do not learn to make paracord knots. You start directly with paracord projects without thinking about taking one step at a time. Paracord knots are the first step and, once you know how to do them, you can get to the next step.
Now that we’ve talked about common mistakes, let’s see what kind of paracord knots we can learn to do.
Learning to make paracord knots.
There are tutorials all over the internet that show how to make paracord knots. The secret to becoming a true paracordista when seeing the tutorials, is to learn the technique. After you have learned with the tutorial, try to make the knots by yourself. Only when you can do them without help, can you say that you have learned how to do them.
Type # 1 – the knot of the cobra
This is one of the first paracord knots you will learn. As you can see in the image above, you will need two paracord chains to make this knot. The technique is simple:
- Hold both ropes with your fingers and make sure they are straight next to each other;
- Take the left cord and form a loop while placing the rest of the cord behind the two main strings;
- The right part passes under the left chain and returns when it passes through the loop that it formed with the left chain;
- Tighten the knot up.
To make sure you understand the technique, we found a video tutorial on how to make the Cobra knot.
The tutorial is actually about how to make a paracord bracelet using the Cobra knot, but you can move on until the 5.30 minute to see how to tie the knot.
Type # 2 – the cord knot
When we talk about the simple knot and the cord knot at the beginning of this article, it is fair to show you how to do it. The simple knot is very simple and anyone can do it. The technique is simple: make a loop and pass the end of the strings through that loop. It’s called the simple knot because you usually do the loop with two fingers or with your whole hand.
Now, the cord knot is a bit more complicated and requires a little more attention and skills. However, the final result looks better and will stay much better than the simple knot. The technique is like this:
- Lean over your paracord piece and place your two middle fingers on the end of the loop;
- Make a loop with the far right and place it on the left end in your palm;
- Take the left end, go below the right end and put it through the loop in the palm of your hand making sure the rope goes through the loop and below itself. Now you’re going to end up with a shape that looks like number eight with a diamond in the center, in your palm;
- The next step is to take each end and bring them around, counter-clockwise and place them in the shape of a diamond in the center.
At this point you can start to harden your knot. You can fix it with your fingers so it does not look messy and out of shape. We also have a tutorial on how to tie a tie. to make sure that the technique is easy to understand and follow.
This is one of the paracord knots with which a beginner could have some problems, but with a little practice he will definitely learn how to do it. This knot is also known as a stopper knot because it is used to wrap paracord projects such as bracelets or bars.
Type # 3 – the snake’s knot
This type of fabric is a bit more complex, but the end result is really great, especially when two different colors are used.
The knot of the snake makes this pattern look like the scales of a snake wrapped around your wrist. So in addition to the purposes of survival, this knot is also very decorative.
The technique in this type of paracord knots is as follows:
- If you are using two different colors (recommended if you want the result to look good), melt them and fold the resulting piece of paracord by the melting point. If you are using a single string, simply fold it in half.
- Make the original loop, which you will use to connect the two ends of your paracord bracelet together. Tie the tie tight with a knot.
- Now, after you have the first loop, you want to loosen the knot a bit from the base and take the opposite string and pass it. Tighten the knot again.
- Turn everything around and you can see that there is one end with two loops and another with a single loop. Loosen the knot on the side with a single loop and pull the opposite string.
- Turn the bracelet and continue knitting in the same way.
To better observe the technique, here is a video tutorial on how to make a snake knot.
The basic concept of this knot is to pull the ends through a loop that is shown exactly in this previous tutorial.
Type # 4 – the knot of the king cobra
You could expect this to be an incredible knot. We are talking about a King Cobra here, not a simple and ordinary Cobra. Well, I’m sorry to disappoint you, it’s still the old and simple Cobra knot. The only difference is in the final result. The fabric is the same, but to get a King Cobra fabric pattern, simply take your old Cobra project and knit another one over it. If you use different colors, your final project will look much better than the one you have indicated.
Here is a video tutorial on how to make a King Cobra bracelet starting with a Cobra.
We include this knot in the list to make sure you are not confused by the fact that they are so similar. Actually, they are the same, only you can include more paracord in a King Cobra project.
Type # 5 – the paracord trilobite knot
This type of fabric allows you to include more paracord in a project. The paracord knots used to make it are very similar to those braided with four strings.
If you want your project to look good, it is recommended to use two different colors. So, to make this cute pattern, you will need two separate chains of paracord, each of them folded in half.
The technique is quite simple:
- Hang the two pieces of paracord on a nail or on a hook and make sure they are the same size
- Use the two central strings as a core and the two outer strings to weave the projects
- Each of the outer chains goes first around the nearest chain and then under or over the two main chains
Of course we also found a tutorial on how to make a trilobite bar with paracord so you can see how this decorative knot is made.
And in this previous tutorial in the text, there are step-by-step explanations and tips from professionals.
Type # 6 – the monkey fist knot
This is both a decorative and very useful knot. You can use this type of knot as a decorative knot and for your self-defense (you must make it bigger). This type of knot is a bit more complicated to make and requires some special elements, such as:
- 1 small and heavy ball (golf ball, 1-inch ball, etc.);
- A special device designed for this type of knot.
- a needle to be able to weave the paracord when things get difficult;
- Everything else you would need in case of a normal Paracord project.
As we said earlier, this knot can be used for decorative purposes such as your key chain or for personal defense purposes. When you use it for self-defense, it is recommended to use a bigger and heavier ball so that you can hit the attacker with a lot of power and be able to inflict a lot of pain.
Because the technique is quite complicated and you need some serious paracording skills, let’s let this tutorial on how to make a monkey knot using paracord explain it to you.
It’s not something a beginner can do, but if you want to start with this, nobody stops you. The final result should look like this:
The paracord knots we are talking about in this article are just some of the crowd out there. If you want to make more elaborate Paracord projects, do not hesitate to look for more and include them in your collection. Learning the paracord knots is a very fun and useful activity for both your brain and your muscles. You learn a lot about survival items and you will develop new and important skills. You can also include your friends in this rewarding and great activity.
We recommend starting with something as simple as a paracord bracelet with a Cobra knot fabric. It may be a bit frustrating at first, but there is nothing more rewarding than watching your first project complete. When you finally master the technique, you will forget frustration and clumsiness. We really challenge you to start your first Paracord project today!
FISHING, HUNTING AND TRAPPING