Water-salt regimen, drink or not drink on the route, and if you drink, when and how much. Here is the number one problem in all summer trips in the hot season. Even more acute in winter trips is the question of where to get water for drinking..
Water and salt regime on a camping trip. You can or cannot drink while driving on a route.
Under normal conditions, we need only 2–2.5 liters of water per day to maintain metabolism and evaporation through the skin and lungs. Part of the necessary water is formed in the body as a result of oxidative processes, part is contained in food, but this is not enough. Up to 1.5 liters of water should be ingested with drink and hot dishes. Water is needed not only for metabolism, but also to stabilize body temperature.
With intensive work and in hot weather, the body cools, evaporating part of the moisture. Therefore, depending on the intensity of the load, physical fitness and climate, the tourist needs from 3 to 10 or more liters of water per day. Drinking water does not completely evaporate through the skin. Part of it is excreted in the urine. Moreover, if you immediately drink a liter of water, only 60% of it will be used to ensure thermoregulation, the remaining 40% will be excreted in the urine. But if you drink 100-150 ml every hour, then up to 90% of the water will turn into sweat. In other words, in the heat and during hard work it is more profitable to drink often, but little by little.
organism and the accompanying decrease in efficiency and heat stroke. It is most convenient to drink at small rests, which are usually done at water sources. It is better to drink in small sips or through a tube, adding citric acid, various extracts and dry juices, sports drinks, fruit syrups to the mug.
Well-established pops. They are easy to make from citric acid and soda with various additives. Cold tea, preferably green tea, as well as a solution of concentrated tomato juice or tomato paste quenches thirst. You can drink water with sweets, sugar or seizing it with dried fruits. Even at large rests and bivouacs, do not drink thirst until disappearing. Water is absorbed into the blood 10-15 minutes after drinking, and only then does thirst disappear. Drinking too much does not quench your thirst, but rather, often provokes it. Here’s the reason..
A liter of blood contains 9.45 g of sodium chloride. Salt is excreted from the body along with sweat, but in smaller quantities – about 5 g per liter. Accordingly, with excessive sweating, the salt content in the blood increases. Thirst – a reaction to salt imbalance. The body seeks to reduce the concentration of salt. But if too much is drunk, the water-salt regime and the concentration of salt in the blood drops so significantly that in order to restore it, excess moisture is removed with urine and plenty of sweat, and an additional amount of salt is left with them.
Our salt reserves are limited, and when they are depleted, the salt content in the blood is not replenished. Therefore, additional removal of moisture and salt along with it follows again. Losing water again causes thirst. The circle closes. Salting of water gives a certain effect in the fight against thirst, but with heavy physical work in the heat, salt abuse reduces sweating, disrupting thermoregulation and provoking heat strokes and heart failure.
But what if there are few sources of water on the way? In simple trips in the middle lane during the non-hot period, there is usually plenty of drink at breakfast and dinner and some water for lunch or snack. On hot days, you will have to carry water in jars at the rate of 0.7-1 liters per person. On weekend trips, you can take store water and juices in plastic bottles..
It is not recommended to take drinks on xylitol that leave an unpleasant aftertaste in the mouth, as well as drinks such as Fanta, Pepsi, Coca-Cola and juices reconstituted from concentrates. They do not quench thirst and provoke excessive fluid intake. Thirst can also cause drying out of the oral mucosa (false thirst). To get rid of this, you can suck sour candies and dried fruits.
In winter trips, there is nowhere to take water during movement, but if you drink only twice a day – in the morning and in the evening, dehydration is inevitable, the water-salt regime is disturbed. Therefore, the supply of water in thermoses in winter trips is simply necessary. In the mountains, especially in areas with a hot climate, moisture loss reaches 7-10 liters, mainly due to evaporation through the lungs due to an increase in pulmonary ventilation. In this case, it is necessary to provide in the diet up to 5 liters of various drinks mentioned earlier.
Based on materials from the book Camping Food.