At the moment there is a huge number of manufacturers of knives, whose main task is not so much to make a quality product, but to stand out from the total number of similar companies (marketing, without it in any way!). Hence the various “super-tactical-combat-knives-capable-cut-rail-along.” The words are loud, but they, of course, do not correspond to reality. Just because combat knife can not be both tactical. Just because of its purpose and application features.
The main and only task combat knife – kill people. As quickly as possible, relatively easy and most importantly – effectively. Quick and simple strokes. We apologize for a slightly incorrect analogy, but “quietly came up behind, quickly put it in and left.” Everything. Maximum simplicity and maximum functionality.
Therefore real combat knife must meet the following criteria:
- The total length of the knife is from 22 to 30 cm, with a blade length of 12 to 18 cm. A shorter length will not allow effectively infecting vital organs, a large one will complicate the use of such a knife and reduce maneuverability.
- No folding knives and other tricky designs. Only fixed blade, only hardcore.
- Weight from 200 to 300 grams. Such a weight is optimal for applying powerful penetrating shocks (physics, F = m * a). Less weight, on the basis of practice, is poorly suited for the functions of a combat knife, and greater weight gives the weapon too noticeable inertia.
- Double-sided sharpening or at least a half. This will save time and not be distracted by the control of the orientation of the blade in battle at the time of use of the knife.
- Blade profile – leaf-shaped, with differentiated sharpening. This is necessary not only to create terrible stab wounds, but also contributes to the application of cutting blows with equally serious wounds. Although the combat blade is inherently designed for delivering deadly pricks, one should not forget about the cut – sometimes it is almost the only option to accomplish the task.
- The width of the blade at the base – at least 25-30 mm. This allows you to reduce the angle of grinding by increasing the width of the slopes, which further improves the cutting properties. And the stabbing wounds from such a knife are distinguished by an increased “fatality”.
- The edge of the blade coincides with the axis of symmetry of the knife. This is the only way to achieve the maximum penetrating force applied exactly in the direction of motion.
- Blade hardness not less than 50 units on the HRC scale. Just to steel withstand impact and punched various protective layers. And so as not to break as a result of strong, but not too accurate blows, for example, when hit on the bone.
- The center of gravity of the combat knife should be located as close as possible to the middle of the handle. In this case, manipulations with a knife are simplified and the accuracy and strength of the penetrating strike increases.
- The oval section of the handle, so that the knife fits comfortably in the hand and its orientation is felt to the touch.
- Special coating of the handle – the knife should not slip in your hand even if water, dirt, oil, blood, etc. get on the handle.
- The presence of a limiter (namely, the limiter, to say its “guard” – an error). That fingers in the course of use could not come off on a blade. In this case, the handle restraint should not be too large so as not to interfere with intercepting the combat knife.
- Sheath without fasteners. The combat knife must be securely held in the sheath only by friction. The sheath should be positioned and secured so as not to interfere during movement, and provide the opportunity to pull out the knife with one movement of one hand and put back also with one movement. And all this is silent.
It is clear that in battle you can use at least a kitchen knife (and according to one or two of the above criteria even “pass”), but the purpose of a kitchen knife is to cut meat and vegetables, and a combat knife to cut and prick people. This is also its difference from tactical, tourist, hunting, underwater knives, survival knives and so on and so forth.
Right combat knife will never have a serritor, a cullet, no “cutting” forms and handles suitable for planing carcasses and cutting logs. For Western colleagues, the term “universal tactical knife” sometimes slips – this is a knife (often even a folding one) that can be used if necessary as a combat one. But, as we said, even a corkscrew can be used in this capacity, for lack of a better means for the destruction of the enemy.
And now an interesting point. In the legal classification of the term “combat knife” not. There are only survival knives, hunting and household knives, whose characteristics are governed by state standards and relevant laws. Therefore, any knife will be evaluated on whether it is cold arms, exactly according to these norms. We will talk about them next time. In the meantime, as always, we are waiting for your comments and feedback.