In order to prepare for the hunt, it is not enough just to come to a specialized shop and buy a gun. In the absence of a license to purchase, as well as permission to store and carry a hunting rifle, such a purchase is impossible to make. The procedure for obtaining a weapons permit will take some time to go through several stages, so it is recommended to begin its implementation before the start of the hunting season.
- The procedure for obtaining a weapon permit
- 1.1Who can get permission?
- 1.2Where should I contact?
- 2 Obtaining a permit for hunting weapons: what needs to be done before filing documents?
- 3Documents for obtaining a weapon permit
- 4 Extension permission
- 5Storage of hunting rifle
- 6Right wearing weapons
The procedure for obtaining a weapon permit
The acquisition and storage of hunting rifles is strictly regulated by Russian legislation, in particular, Federal Law No. 150-FZ “On Arms” dated December 13, 1996, Order of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation No. 373 dated April 27, 2012, approving the rules for obtaining a long-barred weapon permit smooth-bore, hunting pneumatic, traumatic, as well as its storage and transportation.
It should be noted that the procedure for obtaining permission for the first time implies the possibility of using, storing and carrying only smooth-bore hunting weapons, because in order to obtain permission for a rifled hunting rifle, you must own the first type of not less than the last five years without the facts of violation related to carrying weapons.
Who can get permission?
Requirements for applicants seeking permission are as follows:
- Person over the age of 18
- No criminal record for an intentional crime
- No cases of serving a sentence for committing a crime
- The absence of cases of an administrative offense that violates public order more than two times in a row in one year.
- The presence of the applicant’s permanent place of residence.
- The applicant’s absence of a mental or neurological disease, confirmed by a medical certificate from a narcologist and a psychiatrist.
Where to go?
First you need to issue a hunting ticket, without which it is impossible to issue a weapon license. Experienced hunters advise beginners to join the hunting communities that are in almost every city. This will greatly facilitate the process of obtaining a weapon permit and will help to obtain the necessary skills. A hunting ticket is not a weapon permit, but a confirmation of the fact that its owner can hunt birds and animals on the territory of the Russian Federation (where this is allowed). To obtain it, you must contact the regional branch of the Society of Hunters and Fishermen with the appropriate application. It should be noted that local hunting communities are not allowed to issue federal-style hunting tickets.
After the ticket is received, you will need to obtain a license to purchase weapons. To do this, you need to contact the department of the licensing and permitting service of the internal affairs bodies at the place of registration with a statement. After obtaining a license, you can go shopping for a hunting rifle at a specialty store where you can purchase up to five units of smooth-bore weapons. After a weapon has been purchased, you must appear at the ROVD within two weeks to obtain permission, which is issued in exchange for a license. The final stage of the permit process is the invitation of the district police officer to inspect the premises for proper storage of weapons in the house.
Obtaining a permit for hunting weapons: what needs to be done before filing documents?
With full compliance of the person in accordance with the requirements for obtaining permits, before applying for all the stages of the process of obtaining permission, the following conditions must be met:
- Choose a gun in a specialty store.
- To complete courses of study with the subsequent passing of the exam on knowledge of the rules of safe handling of weapons and the availability of skills in handling them, as well as first aid for injuries, burns, fractures. The exam and the issuance of a federal sample certificate of successful passing it is carried out in the licensing and permit center at the ATS. Training lasts from one to several days, the cost varies depending on the region.
- Prepare a place to store a gun, i.e. buy a safe with the requirements regarding its qualities.
Documents for obtaining a weapon permit
Before buying a gun, you need to get a hunting ticket, which is issued once in a lifetime with an unlimited period of validity. In order to get it, you must provide the documents:
- A copy of the passport and its original
- Black and white photographs in size 2.5×3.5 (2 pcs.)
Today it is possible to issue an electronic application for the provision of a hunting certificate through the Unified portal of public services.
Five days after the submission of documents, the regulatory authorities decide to issue or refuse to issue a hunting ticket. The refusal may be in the event that the identity of the applicant does not meet the requirements listed earlier.
To obtain a license for the purchase of smooth-bore hunting weapons, the following documents must be submitted to the regulatory authorities:
- The statement of the established sample with the obligatory indication of the place of storage of weapons.
- Medical certificate in the form 046-1 with marks of therapist, narcologist, psychiatrist, ophthalmologist. However, a certificate should be attached with the results of testing for the presence of narcotic and psychotropic substances in the body.
- Photocopy of the passport and its original
- Receipt of payment of state duty
- Black and white photos 3×4 (2pcs.)
- Military ID
- Certificate of completion of courses and passing the exam on the knowledge of the skills of handling firearms.
- Hunting ticket and photocopy.
After the documents are submitted, their verification will take 30 days. After successfully passing the test and full compliance with the requirements of the applicant, a license is issued to acquire a gun, which is valid for 6 months. Within 10 days after receiving it, you need to buy a gun and bring a license to the same center in exchange for permission. When buying a gun, one license stub remains in the hands of the seller, the other at the buyer. This stub must be handed over to an LRO officer upon receipt of the permit. It remains to agree with the district police officer on a visit to inspect the place and conditions for storing weapons at home with further recording in the protocol.
For permission, no additional documents will be required, except for a passport and two 3×4 cm photographs.
The resulting document authorizing the use of a hunting rifle is valid for five years. After this period, it will be necessary to replace it with a new one. The renewal of the document must begin to be made in advance, no later than three months before the expiration of the old certificate. In addition, the renewal of the permitting document is possible through the electronic portal of public services, an application for which can be submitted online one month before the expiration date.
Documents required for the renewal of permits:
- A photocopy of a valid permit for a hunting rifle
- Photos 3×4 (2 pieces)
- Medical certificate on the form 046/1, similar to that which was provided during the initial application for obtaining a permit document.
- Copy of passport and original
- Protocol of the district police officer on the absence of violations of the rules for storing weapons at home.
- Receipt of payment of state duty.
- Original hunting ticket or its copy, notarized.
If during the allotted time the permit has not been renewed, the gun owner faces responsibility for an administrative offense: an extract of a fine in the amount of 1,000 to 3,000 rubles (depending on time), as well as the seizure of weapons by a police officer before granting him an extended permit.
To obtain a permit with an extended period of time, you will have to wait 30 days.
The storage of a hunting rifle
The safe for storing an unloaded hunting rifle must be made of metal or wood upholstered, the weapon is kept with the cartridges. Storage location should have such characteristics as: resistance to hacking, fire resistance, strength, good capacity. High-quality locks will save the safe from the penetration of unauthorized persons, which can lead to unpleasant consequences. It should have two locks, inside there should be a separate box for storing ammunition with a lock. The weapon storage box must be screwed to the floor or wall on the bolts, or have an alarm. Inside the safe should be equipped with various kinds of fasteners and clamps that will lock the weapon in a stationary state. The most reliable safe can be made to order, however, its cost will be very high.
It is necessary to install a safe away from heating devices, no closer than 1-1.5 m from the entrance door and 50 cm from the window opening.
A local police officer has the right to visit private property no more than once a year in order to check the safe for storing firearms, the safety and operability of his fixtures, lock, etc.
In case of non-observance of the conditions of proper storage, the gun may be withdrawn by law enforcement officers, or penalties imposed.
Rules of carrying weapons
Transportation of hunting weapons must be carried out in a disassembled, unloaded form, inside a special case.