Every tourist, hunter and fisherman always has a constant helper with him – a knife. It is necessary for the equipment of the camp, for cooking, it is resorted to in the process of fishing and hunting, because without it, like without hands. Therefore, you need to choose a knife for the campaign very carefully, approaching this business with all the responsibility.
- Why do I need a knife in the campaign?
- 2 Basic rules for choosing a knife for travel
- 2.1 Foldable or clumsy?
- 2.2 Blade of a knife
- 2.2.1 What made it better?
- 2.2.2 Blade Shape
- 2.2.3 Razor blade
- 2.3 knife handle
- 2.4Kin for knife
- 3A review of the best hiking knives
- 4Kills and Legislation
Why do I need a knife in the campaign?
What do you have to do with a knife in the campaign in the modern world? Consider the main tasks of this ancient tool.
- Cooking food. Slice taken with them products: bread, sausage. Peel vegetables, mushrooms, fish or poultry. Elementary: open canned food, which constitute the main part of tourist rations.
- Breeding and maintenance of fire. The fire in the campaign is needed for cooking, for heating (in the cold season), for drying things (if wet in the rain). The knife is needed in this case:
- in order to chop, chop firewood and wood chips for the ignition of the fire;
- for preparing slingshots under the hearth or under the ropes for drying things.
- Manufacturing fixtures. For example, sticks such as skewers for frying mushrooms, fish, sausages. In case of injury, you can make a splint, crutch, or, in severe cases, a stretcher.
Basic rules for choosing a knife for travel
The following tips will help choose, orient, how to choose a knife for a campaign:
- the knife must be functional;
- the thickness of the blade should not be thick or thin so as not to break and be comfortable to use;
- the form should be simple, the handle is comfortable;
- the knife must have a scabbard;
- color desirable bright to see in the grass or on the snow;
- the knife is a tool and you should not buy too expensive.
When choosing a knife to hike in the woods or mountains, you need to pay attention to every detail.
Folding or clumsy?
This is the first question that arises when choosing a tool. Which knives are better for hiking: small folding ones that fit easily in a pocket, or with a fixed blade?
Folding knife is convenient for its small size. But it is not very reliable and it has certain limitations in functionality. Folding knives have a not very long blade, and they are not intended for power actions. Chop, for example, firewood for them is not possible. The joint in the form of a hinge between the handle and the blade often breaks.
A more practical ordinary knife with a fixed blade deep in the handle. They can do almost anything they need. And the sheath, fixed on the belt, will make such a knife more convenient.
One piece of advice: if you opt for an ungainly knife, get a folding one that attracts with its versatility – a multifunctional universal knife for a hike with a large number of functions (knife, scissors, bottle opener, tweezers, etc.).
Blade of knife
What should it be? What shape? What is it made of? Consider everything in order.
What is the best?
The blade of the camping knife is better to choose from steel is not very hard. Steel hard marks makes the knife brittle and difficult to sharpen in the conditions of the campaign. But too soft knives, too, will not work. Their problem is insufficient sharpness. The best option for a knife for tourism – with a blade of steel of medium hardness (58-60 HRC). They are practical and, if necessary, they can be sharpened with any available materials.
The firms making knives for campaigns and travel do them with very various forms of edges:
- finca (concave blade);
- spear shape;
- straight butt;
- with a lower butt line;
- with raising the butt line;
- “American tantто”;
- “Scramasax” or “goat leg”.
Before you choose a blade of a particular shape, you need to understand why it will be needed in the march. The most popular are the knives with a blade of the shape of a finca and a spear-shaped.
The finca has a thin tip that can be easily adapted for digging, and if you sharpen the upper edge of the tip, such a knife is also suitable for hunting.
Spear-shaped blades or with a butt-down line often have penknives. A butt of sufficient thickness and a pointed tip makes them good and functional assistants in traveling.
What kind of knife is needed in the campaign, each tourist decides for himself, based on his desires, requirements, needs and opportunities. If you have to hike for a day, in places not particularly distant from civilization, the shape of the spear will fit perfectly. But if you are waiting for a multi-day walk with passes through the woods, cooking on a fire, then the Finn cannot do without a hunting knife.
Sharpening the blade also plays an important role in choosing a knife. The type of sharpening largely determines what a tool is capable of. There are several ways to sharpen:
- Smooth. The blade gradually tapers off on both sides equally.
- In the form of a sword. Sharpening on the blade begins a little further than in the first case. This method is considered one of the best. Blades remain sharp for a long time.
- Difficult sharpening (doubly sharpened). The edge of the blade is very thin, and further sharpening is wider, which gives the knife high cutting qualities. Knives with such a sharpening for a very long time not stupid.
- Concave. Creates a very sharp cutting edge. The knife easily enters into any objects. Disadvantage: requires frequent sharpening.
- Convex. It is the opposite of concave. A lot of metal remains on the edge, due to which it is very sharp and durable and retains its cutting qualities for a long time. Axes and knives used for chopping are sharpened in this way.
- One-sided – “chisel”. Only one side is sharpened, in the form of a chisel, hence the name.
The cutting edge plays a huge role in determining not only the functional properties of the knife. The edge with dredging possesses very good cutting properties, but it is almost impossible to grind such a knife in the field. Therefore, when going camping, preference is given to tools with smooth cutting edges with sharpening in the form of a sword or a complex sharpening. They are very sharp, retain their properties for a long time and, if necessary, can be easily sharpened.
By the choice of the handle of the knife is suitable solely on the part of personal preference. Someone prefers to wear knives with carved handles made of bone or wood, others choose minimalism and practicality. Today, manufacturers give a choice of a huge variety of materials and shapes.
The rubber grip has good grip even with a wet palm. Bone or horn has a beautiful noble appearance. Wooden well fit in the palm, have a pleasant to the touch surface, but require special care. Handles from plastic are more picky, they are not afraid of moisture.
An important condition when choosing the type of knife handle is ease of use. It should fit comfortably in the palm of your hand, matching its size, and not rub it in the case of long-term work. Quality knife feels like a continuation of the hand.
Between the blade and the handle should be a small ledge – protection so that the hand does not slide on the blade.
Usually, if the knife is good, there is a hole in the handle for the strap.
The scabbard is needed to protect the knife from damage, and the host from possible injury. Often knives are sold already with a scabbard. But if not, then it is better to take care of their acquisition.
A good sheath is made of leather or kaydeksa. These are durable materials that do an excellent job with their function. Often on the sheath there is a pocket for a grinding stone, which is very convenient. There must be a strap that prevents the knife from falling out of its sheath.
Review of the best hiking knives
Knife SOG SEAL Team c fixed blade SOG SEAL Team has established itself as the most durable. It does not need to sharpen. The blade does not corrode under the influence of sea water. It is resistant to bending, even if used as a lever. Blade – 18 cm, 5 mm thick. On the blade there is a site with notches.
The Swedish Swedish Survival Knife A1 is the perfect hike knife. The length of the knife is 28 cm, the blades are 16 cm. The arm is integral, with square ribs, there is protection for the palm and a hole for the cord.
Knives and legislation
When making a purchase of a knife, ask for a knife certificate that indicates which category of knives the chosen one belongs to. It is advisable to carry this certificate or information sheet with you so that, if necessary, you can present it to law enforcement officers. Carrying cold weapons is punishable by law.
Knives with a blade more than 9 cm long and more than 5-6 mm thick belong to cold arms. They have no sharp tip, or with a handle more than 7 cm.
Choosing the knife of your dreams, throwing a backpack on his shoulders, you can go to the end of the world! Enjoy your holiday!